Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone een results from NEW Canon Printers  (Read 5041 times)

TomTom60

Has anyone een results from NEW Canon Printers
« on: March 02, 2006, 01:28:51 am »

Has anyone actually seen any prints from the new Canon printers with 42 inks in them?

How are the drivers for these beasts?

Do they really compete with the K3's..I mean are they AS good or not quite as good?

I realize that they aren't out (correct??) so I guess I am asking the bigwigs, the heavy hitters, the mambo boys who get these toys...before us

michael

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 06:13:23 am »

42 inks?

I think you mean 12 inks.

I've seen prints from the Canon 5000 and they are excellent. But without seeming the same image from an Epson 4800 side by side under a controlled light source viewing box, produced with a custom made profile (my own) on each, there's no real way of making an intellegent evaluation.

I expect to have a 5000 for testing within the next 4-6 weeks, and when I do you'll hear all about it here.

Michael

TomTom60

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 11:33:37 am »

Indeed Michael, thanks for your response. I'll be interested in reading that.

I was kidding about the 42 inks.

Though, when do you think we will be seeing printers with an ink to match every color in the Adobe RGB color space?? I'm anxious to know because I have purchased a strip of land, 2.5 miles long and 14 feet wide, for this beast to reside in. Thanks and keep us posted.

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 05:15:54 am »

Though, when do you think we will be seeing printers with an ink to match every color in the Adobe RGB color space?? I'm anxious to know because I have purchased a strip of land, 2.5 miles long and 14 feet wide, for this beast to reside in. Thanks and keep us posted.
Aha, so you intend to make landscape prints.
Jan

elauq

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 08:13:16 pm »

If you wanted more inks (when isn't more better?) you could get additional printers of the same model and convert the cartridges to other colors and/or make lighter variations of the supplied inks.  Each additional printer increases gamut and smooth out tones.  Here’s an outline of what you’ll need:

Get a JBOI profiler (Just a Bunch of Inks plus the spectrometer and associated software, you can Google for JBOI profile suppliers) that builds up a profile from any old set of inks across multiple platforms.  The JBOI profile is integrated with the Sequential RIP (SRIP), which seamlessly manages sequential incremental printing across multiple printers.  Make sure all printers are in registration (turn on the auto registration check feature in the SRIP application).  Feed the same paper through all the printers.  After feeding the print through 4 separate printers, all Canon printers in this example, (for the record, I am not a Canon dealer), you'd have laid down 48 inks for a print of stunning results.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 08:24:47 pm »

At PMA the 10 and 12 ink printers looked pretty nice. But you'd expect to see that in the booth. The drivers look like all the other stuff Canon (and Epson) have produced. IOW, nothing special. The B&W prints looked pretty nice (consider the awful lighting on a show floor). No bronzing I could detect. Of course, until you can get a real unit and print your own files....

The actual units at the show were NOT final production (you could tell from the plastics). Apparently Canon is still tweaking. I will say, after PMA, Canon printers are now on my radar!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 10:17:26 pm »

They are on my radar too - if they deliver wider gamut and better ink economy than an Epson 4800, and if they can work properly with decent, well-priced matte papers to compete with Epson Enhanced Matte, they will be very tempting indeed.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: [1]   Go Up