Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Output sharpening jpg  (Read 3471 times)

orc73

Output sharpening jpg
« on: July 30, 2015, 07:42:20 am »

Hello

I'm preparing to move from LR to C1.

As far as I understood, in LR I did raw sharpening on the image, while when exported as a jpg in a different size, the resized image can be sharpened during output process with option high, medium and low.

In C1 I did not find this option, so the file is just sharpened in full size, but not for the output size.
So do I need to export it as jpg to ps first and do sharpen on output size, or what is the workflow?

best regards

orc73

Re: Output sharpening jpg
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 08:29:35 am »

So I'm still researching on google on this. Some say there is no 2 step sharpening in C1, and C1 would perfectly sharpen them on output size, once send to export.
Ok, would be fine.
However if it is like this: what happens if I send a tiff to ps to process and get it back to C1, and then export the files as jpg?
If said before is correct, c1 would apply the sharpeing to the tiff on the full size sent to PS, then it gets back to the c1 where is will be processed without further sharpening to output size. right?

mgrayson

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 08:46:23 am »

When processing for output to jpeg or TIFF, you can select "Ignore sharpening" under Output>Process Recipe>Adjustments. You might want that selected in your 100% TIFF -> PS stage, but leave it unchecked (i.e., DO output sharpening) when preparing a resized jpeg.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 09:19:55 am »

So I'm still researching on google on this. Some say there is no 2 step sharpening in C1, and C1 would perfectly sharpen them on output size, once send to export.

Hi,

Although I do not know exactly what goes on under the hood, and I'm using a different print workflow (Qimage Ultimate) anyway, I'm pretty sure that there is no additional sharpening done on output to file. I can't imagine that the sharpening settings are used on output, because we do not get an accurate preview for tuning the settings other than at 100% (display zoom is not reliable enough to base visual sharpening on). If true, then this is a shortcoming if one resizes the output, which BTW is made super easy in Capture One by offering several output recipes (at the same time) for export. So one can generate several file types and sizes to different locations at the same time if needed, but there is no additional option for sharpening (which would be required since resampling necessitates to resharpen or change the sharpening).

The only shortcut I can think of is by using the Print to file path, since the print dialog does offer an output sharpening control. But that's a crude way of solving a need, and it would require one to calculate the number of pixels that a certain output size would resample to for a specific printer resolution.

IMHO, the whole image resampling and sharpening aspect of Capture One is in need of a significant upgrade. Currently, resampling seems to be bicubic based, and as said sharpening is not all that advanced (USM based?). Software like Qimage shows what great gains can be made for output quality when advanced resampling and (DFS) Smart sharpening is applied.

So, if one insists on printing out of Capture One, one could export (with sharpening disabled in the output recipe) a full size image to another editor, use that to resample, convert to the output profile, and output sharpen, and re-import that result into Capture One for printing. That would allow to use superior resampling quality and superior sharpening for the intended output size, and still use Capture One for the final output. But frankly, I think there are more efficient output workflows possible, until C1 is improved on those specific workflow aspects.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:26:01 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 09:24:45 am »

When processing for output to jpeg or TIFF, you can select "Ignore sharpening" under Output>Process Recipe>Adjustments. You might want that selected in your 100% TIFF -> PS stage, but leave it unchecked (i.e., DO output sharpening) when preparing a resized jpeg.

Hi,

I indeed have disable sharpening checked on my output recipes, to allow much better quality resizing and sharpenng with other tools. However, it is not clear if (and I do not think is does) the sharpening settings are applied at 100% file size or at the output resampled file size. I suspect that the sharpening is done first, and then the resampling changes that by resizing, and does not output sharpen again (because we have no way of previewing the final resized result in the sharpening dialog).

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:27:10 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

orc73

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 03:07:37 am »

Thanks,
it seems like you describe, and that's not really good.

However my resized jpgs I hand out to customer do look pretty good I think.
So I don't know what Phaseone is doing. LR exports without additional sharpening checked in the output settings do get soft usualy when resized.

To be fair, the LR sharpening at output size does also only offer 3 strength level and no additional adjustments.
I did notice better sharpness on resized pictures though after introducing it to my export settings in LR.

Having to bring each file into external editor for each output size is not really a workflow for jobs with a bigger amount of pictures and output sizes needed.
Or is there a way to automate that in case?

mediumcool

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 08:16:17 am »

I have found that sharpening which looks good at 100% view in C1 is often too much when I render out at 900px high (my standard online posting size); I need to reduct the radius and percentage to tasteā€”a 100% preview option at output size would be an excellent feature.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool
Pages: [1]   Go Up