Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC P242W with SpectraView weird flicker  (Read 7018 times)

Frans Waterlander

NEC P242W with SpectraView weird flicker
« on: July 29, 2015, 03:28:16 pm »

My first P242W developed a flicker at about 18 months. It would show up a couple of minutes after turning on the monitor and it would go away after 10 or 20 minutes. It happened both in Factory Preset and calibrated mode.
I got a new replacement unit 6 weeks ago and 2 weeks ago it developed a similar problem: it flickers within the first minute of turning it on and the flicker will last maybe 10 minutes. This time however, it only happens in calibrated mode, not in Factory Preset.
The flicker happens both with DVI-D and with HDMI+USB modes, but with HDMI+USB it takes longer to start. It happens with 2 different PCs, so it's not a computer issue.
I use the monitor at 105 nits to match the lighting in my digital darkroom. NEC support asked me to also try at 95 and 115 nits and guess what: no flicker at 95 and 115 nits. I'm continuing to work with NEC, but this really looks like a weird warm-up issue.
Have any of you seen similar issues with NEC monitors and what was the cause and solution? And for the wise-cracks out there, using the monitor at a luminance different from 105 nits is not a solution.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: NEC P242W with SpectraView weird flicker
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 04:08:39 pm »

Have any of you seen similar issues with NEC monitors and what was the cause and solution? And for the wise-cracks out there, using the monitor at a luminance different from 105 nits is not a solution.
No! And yes, that's a very good solution considering that NEC told you what to do. There's absolutely nothing special or necessary about 105 nits. Especially if it causes this so called flicker. IF NEC suggests 115, use it, what difference is 10 nits doing to make (slightly adjust print viewing conditions of that's such a problem going a tad higher).

Or return the display.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 04:50:23 pm »

Andrew,

You really need to read more carefully. NEC didn't suggest to use a different luminance level and leave it at that. They asked me to try different luminance levels to help them understand what happens. NEC takes this seriously and I applaud them for it. Changing luminance levels and viewing conditions is a Band-Aid, not a solution (read my remark in the original post re wise-cracks).

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 04:53:32 pm »

Andrew,
You really need to read more carefully. NEC didn't suggest to use a different luminance level and leave it at that. They asked me to try different luminance levels to help them understand what happens. NEC takes this seriously and I applaud them for it. Changing luminance levels and viewing conditions is a Band-Aid, not a solution (read my remark in the original post re wise-cracks).
You need to read what YOU wrote more carefully:
NEC support asked me to also try at 95 and 115 nits and guess what: no flicker at 95 and 115 nits.
Set the display for that range and move on. Problem solved.
Tell us otherwise what you want to hear and I promise to write such text to make you feel better.

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 05:00:02 pm »

Andrew, NEC didn't suggest that using a different luminance level is a fix. They are working with me to do root-cause analysis; look up what that means one of these days, you could possibly learn a thing or two.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 05:02:31 pm »

Andrew, NEC didn't suggest that using a different luminance level is a fix.
They didn't?
NEC support asked me to also try at 95 and 115 nits and guess what: no flicker at 95 and 115 nits.
They are working with me to do root-cause analysis; look up what that means one of these days, you could possibly learn a thing or two.
I'll contact the product manager so he knows about the approaching rabbit hole based on the last time you ranted about flicker on their systems. Do them a favor, send back the unit, get an Eizo.

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 06:19:12 pm »

No, Andrew, if your proficiency in reading was as good as in bashing, you would by now understand that NEC DID NOT SUGGEST THAT USING A DIFFERENT LUMINANCE LEVEL IS A FIX. Get it now? Here is what they said verbatim: "If possible could you try calibrating the monitor at 95cd/m and at 115cd/m and see if the flickering still happens? I would like to see if possible brightness is related to the issue. We have seen in the past if calibrating too high could cause flicker. Now I know 105cd/m isn't high but want to try this and see what happens." Get it?

The only rabbit holes created are yours. Please go away.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 06:45:26 pm »

No, Andrew, if your proficiency in reading was as good as in bashing, you would by now understand that NEC DID NOT SUGGEST THAT USING A DIFFERENT LUMINANCE LEVEL IS A FIX. Get it now? Here is what they said verbatim: "If possible could you try calibrating the monitor at 95cd/m and at 115cd/m and see if the flickering still happens?
Clearly that's not a suggestion Franz... not.
They just made up a range of cd/m2 values, asked you to try them, then asking IF the flickering still happens (which it didn't). But it wasn't their idea that perhaps suggesting these values might stop the flickering, this week there's a blue moon and maybe that occurrence along with a differing cd/m2 within a range of 95cd/m and at 115cd/m would stop the so called flickering which it did. But no, NEC DID NOT SUGGEST THAT USING A DIFFERENT LUMINANCE LEVEL IS A FIX, the flickering stopped due to the tin foil hat?

We've been over this before. You have to now drag LuLa and PhotoNet into this witch hunt (http://photo.net/digital-darkroom-forum/00dPg5).

Worth repeating what I just wrote on that other site:

I'm going to call this deja vu or, why those who refuse to study history are destined to repeat it. Or better: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Way back in 2013, we had to slog thorough this with Franz, he asked a question, got these answers below. Now he's back. deja vu.

Frans Waterlander , Sep 16, 2013; 07:50 p.m.
It is reported that some people see flicker or experience eye strain or headaches when working with LED backlit monitors.
Here's my question: have you experienced any of these issues - flicker, eye strain or headaches - when using an LED backlit monitor and if so, which monitor did you use and do you know by any chance the pulse width modulation frequency?

Dave Collett , Sep 16, 2013; 08:06 p.m.
Nope, none at all

Lex Jenkins , Sep 16, 2013; 10:13 p.m.
My inexpensive ViewSonic LED backlit monitor has been very easy on the eyes.

Tim Lookingbill , Sep 16, 2013; 11:21 p.m.
The only difference I saw between switching from my CCFL backlit 22" Dell 2209WA to my current 27" LED LG 27ea63vp is that the bigger screen's wider line of sight reduces the adaptive effect caused by the differences of the darker surround which was more prominent with the Dell due to its smaller screen area
The LG is quite uniform causing very little fatigue.

Ellis Vener , Sep 17, 2013; 12:40 a.m.
No.

Keith Reeder , Sep 17, 2013; 10:13 a.m.
I've used a 23" LG IPS backlit monitor for about three years, and have had no problems whatsoever with eyestrain, fatigue or flicker.

So here we go again. This time we're supposed to believe the request for your data points on flickering, specifically for "NEC monitors" (not his specific model, just NEC in general) is some how going to aid Franz in adding NEC (as if they really need this). Maybe he should concentrate on just fixating and fixing his unit(s) first, rather than going on a fishing expedition again.
Not sure what his agenda is.

Frans Waterlander

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 07:07:37 pm »

Please go away Andrew, unless you have something to contribute to the issue at hand. NEC is trying to figure out exactly what is happening with this particular unit I have and they have asked me to calibrate to some values closer to 105 nits to see if that makes a difference. Now go bash someone else.

ned

Re:
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 07:40:33 pm »

I can only say that I had an issue with my I1 puck and Spectraview. Issue remained even after changing computers and a replacement puck. NEC rewrote some of the Spectraview code to resolve timing issue between the i1 puck and Spectraview. Apparently I was the only one in the world with this issue. Nec fixed it, and I trust Nec will make it right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up