Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC 2015.1.1 / 6.1.1/ Released  (Read 22381 times)

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Re: Lightroom CC 2015.1.1 / 6.1.1/ Released
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 01:17:46 pm »

Thanks Rikk for the update.

I have the Creative Cloud yet these updates never show up unless I log out and log back into my account.
So much for the CC letting you know about updates.

Stu

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 01:50:13 pm »

The Creative Cloud Application doesn't show updates instantly. If it did, the Adobe Servers would be slammed by the auto-updaters of the world. It usually shows up within a few hours of release.
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:41:46 pm »

The Creative Cloud Application doesn't show updates instantly.
Or sometimes at all  ;D
The update mechanism is, well less than ideal to be kind.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 04:48:14 pm »

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2015/07/lightroom-6-1-1-is-now-available.html

Thanks for the info, looks like the D810 issue was fixed.

I am still curious if LR ever picked up the IQ150?  5.7.1 did not have support for it and it was at least 1 year after the back had been announced.  Same as the 250, just a different name on the file, but LR would not open them. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Simon Garrett

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 04:53:30 pm »

I had to reboot (Windows 7) before the CC app saw the updates.  It appears that Adobe runs some apps at boot-up to synch the list of latest apps. 

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 04:54:22 pm »

I had to reboot (Windows 7) before the CC app saw the updates.  It appears that Adobe runs some apps at boot-up to synch the list of latest apps. 
It's the same on Mac OS. As I said, it's not necessarily the 'server overload' issue as much as buggy software.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Simon Garrett

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 04:57:15 pm »

It's the same on Mac OS. As I said, it's not necessarily the 'server overload' issue as much as buggy software.

Agreed.  The Adobe software to do with CC download and management, and user account management, is still not as good as it should be.  Pity Adobe isn't a software company.  Oh wait...

Paul Wright

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 08:33:40 pm »

Along with the expected bunch of new camera and lens profile support, here's the published list of bug fixes:

Bug Fixes:

Unable to merge files to HDR. Please note that this only occurred with DNG files taken with a Leica Monochrom camera.
    Enterprise customers were unable to access functionality only available in the Creative Cloud version of Lightroom, such as Dehaze.
    People keywords export when they shouldn’t if “Write Keywords as Lightroom Hierarchy” is selected.
    Preview generation and export was slower in LrCC/Lr6 than Lr5.
    Customers reported that they could not exit full screen after invoking it while spot heal tool is selected.
    D810 NEF Files could not select Adobe Standard Profile.
    Size adjustment bar moving when clicked but the value listed was not updating accordingly.
    Metadata Export setting not working for Track, Square and Grid galleries in the Web Module.
    Collection name changes were not properly reflected in other Lightroom clients (such as mobile or web). This only impacted collections enabled for sync.
    Incorrect metadata timestamp in a Panorama created in Lr.
    Some files in exported batch are Blank with Watermark only.
    Lr was not properly exporting all photos. Please note that this typically only occurred when the customer was running Bridge at the same time as the export.
    Customers reported seeing a “Waiting for connection” message inside Lightroom when Internet is available.

There is no reference to the dramatic speed slowdown (vs Lr 5.7) or the necessity for many users to uncheck "Use Graphics Processor" in order to make Lr CC run on otherwise powerful up-to-date computers. Also no mention of the buggy issues being experienced by many Wacom users. Does Adobe have a history of quietly slotting in a number of undocumented bug fixes addressing contentious  issues? I hope so.

-pw

Damon Lynch

• http://www.damonlynch.net
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 01:14:23 am »

The CC installer is clearly not designed for people who are bandwidth constrained, or pay for Internet by the MB. Adobe does not provide delta updates (downloading only the parts of the application that have changed), and just as bad, if there is any kind of error during the installation you have to re-download the entire application installer, which can be huge (several hundreds of MB). Even a trivial error prompts the CC installer to immediately wipe the installation files it had just downloaded. It's immensely frustrating when this happens.

I tried to install the Lightroom CC update just now and it failed. The install failure is obscure: it couldn't move MXF_SDK_GenericContainer_D10_4.4.33_vs10.dll because it was being used by another process (rather strange considering I ran the installer after a reboot and started no other applications except a web browser).

Do the Adobe engineers / management who are responsible for design and implementation the installer ever consider use cases like this? Do they have any experience of trying to depend on their software when in places where the Internet is not unlimited?

keithrsmith

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 03:08:17 am »

The installers and update files are all available here  http://prodesigntools.com/ .

It does take a while for the latest files to appear though.

Keith

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 10:09:22 am »

Yup, definitely buggy software.  One of my OS X computers with a CC subscription picked up the latest updates, another required a reboot before it could find them—presumably because one of the Adobe updating processes was blocked (probably by another of the Adobe processes).

And, as I've noticed following other recent Adobe updates, the update mechanism fails to unmount the patches for each product after the update is complete:

/dev/disk2s2 on /Volumes/AdobeCameraRaw-9.1.1-CC-mul-AdobeUpdate (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, read-only, noowners, nobrowse)
/dev/disk3s2 on /Volumes/Lightroom-6.1.1-Update (hfs, local, nodev, nosuid, read-only, noowners, nobrowse)

This isn't harmful, per se, but it's indicative of sloppy programming.

I wonder if Adobe and its customers would be better served by scrapping the multi-product updater and simply having each application poll for its own updates at launch time or, for apps that have been executing longer than 24 hours, once a day.

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 02:56:34 pm »

6.1.1....It seems to run more fluidly and loads 1:1 previews much faster, I installed it today, anyone else noticed this?

Paul
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 06:24:43 pm »

6.1.1....It seems to run more fluidly and loads 1:1 previews much faster, I installed it today, anyone else noticed this?

Paul
6.1.1 is definitely faster with IQ180 files in Library module. Moving from image to image is now less than 2 seconds, about 30-40% faster than 6.1(on images that don’t have a lot of metadata changes), and zooming to 100% is faster, and the weird very blurry stage when GPU enabled seems to be dramatically faster, to the point it isn’t noticeable.  I don’t have LR 5 loaded any longer, but seems performance is now on par and perhaps even better.

AFairley

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 11:55:55 pm »

After updating still get periodic crashes (perpetual license, Win 7), which never happened with 5.x.

Paul Wright

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 04:37:21 am »

This afternoon I've given Lr CC 2015 6.1.1 a tough-test project to chew through on my Win 8.1, i7 3.6 GHz, SSD, 32Gb, nvidia GeForce GTX 770 PC and the dreaded performance issues appear to be unaddressed by Adobe. Checking "Use Graphics Processor" still results in the same clunky performance. Working with a simple Radial Filter CPU usage was a solid 100% with "Use Graphics Processor" checked and around 35% with it unchecked. Export delivers a solid 100% CPU usage with or without "Use Graphics Processor" checked.  Overall, if anything 6.1.1 seems worse. I really appreciate the features in Lr CC / 6 but serious work will still need to be done in the flawless performance king, Lr 5.7 (on the same tire-shredding machine).

Sigh...

-pw

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 07:08:37 am »

This afternoon I've given Lr CC 2015 6.1.1 a tough-test project to chew through on my Win 8.1, i7 3.6 GHz, SSD, 32Gb, nvidia GeForce GTX 770 PC and the dreaded performance issues appear to be unaddressed by Adobe. Checking "Use Graphics Processor" still results in the same clunky performance. Working with a simple Radial Filter CPU usage was a solid 100% with "Use Graphics Processor" checked and around 35% with it unchecked. Export delivers a solid 100% CPU usage with or without "Use Graphics Processor" checked.  Overall, if anything 6.1.1 seems worse. I really appreciate the features in Lr CC / 6 but serious work will still need to be done in the flawless performance king, Lr 5.7 (on the same tire-shredding machine).

Sigh...

-pw

I would suggest you try a reinstallation of LR, with my Dell XPS15 laptop running an I7, 2.6 Ghz processor, 16GB RAM, a 500GB SSD and GT750M graphics card LR 6.1.1 simply flies. I did some stuff using the radial filter and the processor never went above about 15% (occasional quick leap to 50% for about a second), using the sliders etc for any other changes i.e. sharpening see the processor running around 30-40% while moving the slider, the changes on screen are pretty much instantaneous. In every other respect it is running as smooth as can be expected, exporting etc, zooming to 1:1 is really quick.
I have the "use graphics possessor" on too.

Paul
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 07:11:18 am by Kiwi Paul »
Sony RX100 Mk6

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 09:06:13 am »

I would suggest you try a reinstallation of LR, with my Dell XPS15 laptop running an I7, 2.6 Ghz processor, 16GB RAM, a 500GB SSD and GT750M graphics card LR 6.1.1 simply flies. I did some stuff using the radial filter and the processor never went above about 15% (occasional quick leap to 50% for about a second), using the sliders etc for any other changes i.e. sharpening see the processor running around 30-40% while moving the slider, the changes on screen are pretty much instantaneous. In every other respect it is running as smooth as can be expected, exporting etc, zooming to 1:1 is really quick.
I have the "use graphics possessor" on too.

Paul

Paul

After updating to the latest Lightroom version I still did not get the performance everyone has been talking about. So I decided to try what you suggested in reinstalling. So I did just that. Uninstalled Lightroom and reinstalled Lightroom CC. All I can say is WOW what a difference. Performance seems to be much better. For the record I am currently using a MacBook Pro (June 2012) 15" Retina with 16GB Ram, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB, 512gb SSD. Lightroom Catalog is stored on an external Drobo 5D Thunderbolt Drive with 5, 3TB hard drives. Currently there are over 89,000 images stored on the 5D. Have also now checked the "Use Graphics Processor" that I had unchecked because of poor performance.

Stu

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 09:26:46 am »

Paul

After updating to the latest Lightroom version I still did not get the performance everyone has been talking about. So I decided to try what you suggested in reinstalling. So I did just that. Uninstalled Lightroom and reinstalled Lightroom CC. All I can say is WOW what a difference. Performance seems to be much better. For the record I am currently using a MacBook Pro (June 2012) 15" Retina with 16GB Ram, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB, 512gb SSD. Lightroom Catalog is stored on an external Drobo 5D Thunderbolt Drive with 5, 3TB hard drives. Currently there are over 89,000 images stored on the 5D. Have also now checked the "Use Graphics Processor" that I had unchecked because of poor performance.

Stu

Glad you got it sorted, its like they forgot to remove some developers code or something in the early versions then finally took it off in 6.1.1 releasing the full potential. I had to reinstall today to get flickr authentication to work and it even runs better now than before, better then LR5.x so i'm a happy camper.
I actually have my LR photos and Catalog on a WD Elements USB3 portable hard drive and still get excellent performance.

Paul
Sony RX100 Mk6

jrp

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 04:59:16 pm »

Is the suggestion that the results of an incremental update are different from a full installation?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up