Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica S and diglloyd  (Read 46008 times)

Manoli

Re: Leica S and diglloyd
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2015, 01:06:57 pm »

...  but it is quite obvious that he has a lot of problems with focusing errors on the Leica-S. It seems that a client of his also had a lot of problems.

Not to play devil's advocate, but all that indicates is precisely nought other than, possibly, a lack of competence on Chamber's part. Cooter uses this camera extensively and has never reported such an issue - nor has Tom Munro, to name but two, (if you don't know who Tom is, try doing a google image search). I could add more , these are professional photographers who make a living out of using cameras. I could name at least a dozen others.

Eric Hiss also, IIRC, spent a day with him and wasn't impressed by his testing procedures.

A couple of days ago I played a little bit with the Leica S in a studio in Luxemburg. I also saw some medium size prints, they were not that impressive but I did not really pixel peep.

Were you meant to and again even if you were and did, what does that prove ?

Manoli

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2015, 01:14:15 pm »

Mr Manoli, you beat me to it.

Apologies, Keith.  ;D

M
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 02:02:26 pm by Manoli »

JV

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2015, 01:15:42 pm »

It would seem there's a camera tester posting landscape shots on his pay for site that are rather unremarkable. It would seem he dismisses many cameras as flawed and not of a standard he'd care to use.  

There's a photographer posting on Luminous Landscape who consistently posts rather remarkable fashion images using the Leica S, a camera dismissed by the camera tester as sub standard. I don't doubt the aforementioned fashion photographer could use a Kodak box brownie and still deliver remarkable images.

My, what a topsy-turvy world.

--

But the Leica S (and M) don't even have Sony sensors..., they couldn't possibly be good cameras, could they...?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:17:16 pm by JV »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2015, 03:12:55 pm »

Hi,

Most users are pretty much ignorant about any issues their equipment has. For sure, I am. Some lenses are better than others, bayonets and sensor are not in alignment, and so on. Very clearly, BC (James Russel) is not very much about pixel peeping, he is pretty clear on that. But, if you want to do really large prints some pixel piping may be helpful. Critical users test five lenses and cherry pick the best one. I am not there.

I have seen Eric Hiss comments on Lloyds testing, but I would suggest that Eric my be slightly partial. It may be that Eric doesn't understand testing. For instance, he uses two stages of sharpening before calculating MTF using Imatest. Serious users measure MTF without sharpening. Why, because with sharpening you can achieve any result you want. The best way to do this is to use a raw processor that applies no sharpening.(Now, he who is without sin may throw the first stone. I have also used some sharpening in many of my tests. But I now realise that correct testing needs to be without sharpening, not least because raw processors apply different amounts of sharpening for different systems.)

BTW, have you seen any raw image posted by Mr. Eric Hiss? I strongly feel that we need to see raw images before jumping conclusions. I would say that Lloyd should also release raw images. The best source of raw images now is Imaging Resource and DPReview but they don't test many high end MFD systems. Personally I try to post raw images when it may be relevant. I have posted well over one hundred.

Just to say, I have read both Eric's comments and Lloyd's test pretty carefully. I would be clear, Lloyd would be better not publishing that test. Why? Because he did not spend enough time with the camera. Would more time with the camera affect the review? I don't think so. Very clearly, he would be able to do more tests, like the church mosaic at Stanford. With the Pentax 645z he spent several months and so did he with several samples of the Leica S2.

But, the tests he has done show issues that only show up in correctly made test. Very accurate detail in on focus detail. Aliasing effects that only arise with accurate focus and so on.

Have you read the test and looked at all of the images? Did you analyse them at actual pixels? If you did not, you actually don't know what you talk about. Focusing may matter little, you find the part that is actually in focus and analyse surrounding detail. There is always a curvature of field, that is the reason Lloyd shoots 3D subjects.

Just to make a point, Lloyd complains about AF accuracy on almost all systems. Canon 5DII, Nikon D800, Pentax 645D, Leica M, Sony Alpha 900 just to mention a few. Truth is simply that AF systems don't used to be that accurate. It may seem that some recent generation AF systems combined with some recent generation lenses may be accurate. (Roger Ciala at LensRentals has an article on that).

Getting back to focusing accuracy, one of the frequent posters here shooting an MFD back on a Linhof uses a 30X loupe for accurate focusing, but still feels the need to stop down to f/11 for optimal sharpness. On the other hand he stops down to f/16 to eliminate aliasing.

So, what I say is that Lloyd Chambers is a bit over-analytic, but he may know what he is doing.

Personally, I feel that manual focusing with magnified live view is the only way to achieve exact focus. Contrast Detect AF on sensor is a good alternative.

If you feel that Lloyd Chambers is less then competent, please post some proof demonstrating the accurate focusing of at least two samples of the Leica S under demanding conditions.

These two articles are a couple years old but they may still have some relevance for today's systems:

http://www.josephholmes.com/news-medformatprecision.html

http://www.josephholmes.com/news-sharpmediumformat.html

Best regards
Erik

Ps. Just to explain, Lloyd Chambers prefers magnified live view as focusing method. He found, however, that the Sony A7 series do correct AF using contrast detection AF (CDAF). Similarly, Roger Ciala has found that CDAF does match manual focus at live view. This makes a lot of sense, as CDAF uses the actual signal from the sensor instead of the signal from an AF device that has two moving mirrors in it's optical path.

I would expect that Roger's findings apply to all CDAF systems, they are accurate but slow and they may miss correct focus at all.

Not to play devil's advocate, but all that indicates is precisely nought other than, possibly, a lack of competence on Chamber's part. Cooter uses this camera extensively and has never reported such an issue - nor has Tom Munro, to name but two, (if you don't know who Tom is, try doing a google image search). I could add more , these are professional photographers who make a living out of using cameras. I could name at least a dozen others.

Eric Hiss also, IIRC, spent a day with him and wasn't impressed by his testing procedures.

Were you meant to and again even if you were and did, what does that prove ?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 03:52:44 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Manoli

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2015, 04:07:49 pm »

Did you analyse them at actual pixels? If you did not, you actually don't know what you talk about.

Erik,
I have no doubt you're correct on that - the difference between myself and some others, though, is that I admit it. 

;D
M

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2015, 04:20:07 pm »

Yes,

But the very same photographer is more concerned about image sizes required by customers, shoots mostly in controlled light conditions and freely says that all cameras from Panasonic GH3, over Canon 5D and Leica S2 can do the job.

A photographer who is shooting outdoors, make large prints and shoots subject with fine detail may have a different view.

Add to that, Lloyd has a faible for shooting large apertures, I don't know why, but if you buy large aperture lenses for serious money it sounds like a bright idea to verify the focusing system keeps up with it.

Best regards
Erik

It would seem there's a camera tester posting landscape shots on his pay for site that are rather unremarkable. It would seem he dismisses many cameras as flawed and not of a standard he'd care to use.  

There's a photographer posting on Luminous Landscape who consistently posts rather remarkable fashion images using the Leica S, a camera dismissed by the camera tester as sub standard. I don't doubt the aforementioned fashion photographer could use a Kodak box brownie and still deliver remarkable images.

My, what a topsy-turvy world.

--

Erik Kaffehr

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2015, 04:26:42 pm »

It's not about what the test results are, it's about what you test. I haven't seen anyone here doing realistic tests of lenses and focus systems at distances appropriate for landscape, although I guess the photoreconaissance guys do ...

Edmund

PS. Btw, I went to Boulder and took the Imatest course, so I probably have as much right to measurebate as the others here.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 04:28:55 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

AreBee

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2015, 04:35:26 pm »

Manoli,

...all that indicates is precisely nought other than, possibly, a lack of competence on Chamber's part.

From here:

Quote from: Michael Reichmann
...in my opinion the best reviewer of lenses working today is Lloyd Chambers at Diglloyd. If you want in-depth technical reports on lenses, especially Zeiss, his subscription-only site is well worth the investment.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2015, 04:35:50 pm »

Hi Edmund,

You are right on the issue. Recommendations for lens testing is about 50 times focal length, I don't know how good approximation that is for infinity. But, lenses are often used at intermediate distances. Lenses built for infinity doesn't need to focus, except to correct for thermal expansion and things like that.

Much of the research on resolution is probably coming from arial reconnaissance, that is probably the cause we live by the USAF test target.

Best regards
Erik

It's not about what the test results are, it's about what you test. I haven't seen anyone here doing realistic tests of lenses and focus systems at distances appropriate for landscape, although I guess the photoreconaissance guys do ...

Edmund

PS. Btw, I went to Boulder and took the Imatest course, so I probably have as much right to measurebate as the others here.
Erik Kaffehr

Manoli

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2015, 04:45:02 pm »

A photographer who is shooting outdoors, make large prints and shoots subject with fine detail may have a different view.

Such as Sebastião Salgado ?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2015, 04:56:25 pm »

Hi,

Does he shoot Leica S and does he use large apertures? I honestly don't know.

Best regards
Erik

Such as Sebastião Salgado ?

Erik Kaffehr

Manoli

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2015, 04:59:41 pm »

Does he shoot Leica S and does he use large apertures?

'Genesis' was shot almost entirely, if not entirely, on Leica S.

Manoli

« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2015, 05:06:55 pm »

Erik,

If I may be allowed to make a suggestion.
Wait for delivery of your new A7rII.
All this discussion about SLR style AF systems will be quasi-obsolete.

M

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2015, 05:09:47 pm »

Thanks!

Best regards
Erik

'Genesis' was shot almost entirely, if not entirely, on Leica S.

Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2015, 05:19:51 pm »

Hi,

I don't see how my A7rII is relevant to any discussion of Lloyd Chambers findings about AF-accuracy/repeatability on the Leica S-series.

It may be more relevant to find some reasonable explanation that Lloyd Chambers has issues with AF and most other users don't. Just to say, he demonstrated the issue for a Leica representative and also reported the problem to Leica, so if he had a handling issue I guess he would been advised how to avoid it.

Let's put it this way, I am quite a bit puzzled with this issue, but I have seen Lloyd's original articles on the S2.

Best regards
Erik
Erik,

M

Erik Kaffehr

eronald

« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2015, 05:41:53 pm »

Erik,

M

Actually I'm astonished how well my GH4 focuses. Progress certainly has come to mirrorless.

Does anyone know who actually makes the Leica S? I looked at a sensor assembly for an S2 and it looked like a european design, unsophisticated, heavy, conservative, and doubtless very robust so I suspect the electronics were Jenoptik.

On some days I conjecture that Dalsa and Angenieux were authorised to sell the soviets sensors and optics in the interests of the stability guaranteed by mutual inspection. Which would explain why Jenoptik are so good at making robust digital backs :)  Of course, these days the Russians sell the US most of the rocket engines they stockpiled back then :)

Edmund
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 06:16:00 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2015, 01:02:13 am »

Hi,

Leica works together with Jenoptik. The M9 firmware is coming from Jenoptik, so I guess you may be right.

Nothing wrong with european design, though, as long as it works.

Regading AF, I would suggest that there are quite a few areas that are criticial:

• The resolution of the AF-sensor may be lower than the resolution of the camera sensor.
  • Size of the sensitive area vs. the markings in the finder.
  • Line sensors may focus on detail in front of or behind the subject if subject detail has wrong orientation
  • If several AF-points are available the firmware needs to decide which one to use
  • Mechanical alignment is important, especially as lightpath to the AF-sensor goes over two flipping mirrors

Mirrorless cameras use contrast detecting AF, mainly, which excludes alignment problems as the actual sensor is used for focusing. Newer sensors have phase detection on sensor which is helpful in finding coarse focus.

Best regards
Erik

Actually I'm astonished how well my GH4 focuses. Progress certainly has come to mirrorless.

Does anyone know who actually makes the Leica S? I looked at a sensor assembly for an S2 and it looked like a european design, unsophisticated, heavy, conservative, and doubtless very robust so I suspect the electronics were Jenoptik.

On some days I conjecture that Dalsa and Angenieux were authorised to sell the soviets sensors and optics in the interests of the stability guaranteed by mutual inspection. Which would explain why Jenoptik are so good at making robust digital backs :)  Of course, these days the Russians sell the US most of the rocket engines they stockpiled back then :)

Edmund

Erik Kaffehr

eronald

« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2015, 02:09:36 pm »

Hi,

Leica works together with Jenoptik. The M9 firmware is coming from Jenoptik, so I guess you may be right.

Yeah, I looked at an old  Leaf Aptus 22 back once, and that one was an interesting double-box concept which looked suitable for military use in dusty locations. The stuff which comes out of Japan on the other hand is usually designed for 100% humidity conditions.

As an engineer it's always interesting to decipher other engineer's handwriting ...

Edmund

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:12:37 pm by eronald »

Manoli

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2015, 06:23:04 pm »

If these articles are true, then Salgado shot Genesis with Canon ..

Thank you for those links, Johannes.

Though the article does say
" For the Genesis project Sebastião Salgado used medium format cameras but since 2008 he has been using Canon’s EOS-1Ds Mark III, adapted so he sees a 645 frame. "

Who to believe ?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2015, 06:38:47 pm »

Perhaps he used MF film camera?

Best regards
Erik

Thank you for those links, Johannes.

Though the article does say
" For the Genesis project Sebastião Salgado used medium format cameras but since 2008 he has been using Canon’s EOS-1Ds Mark III, adapted so he sees a 645 frame. "

Who to believe ?

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up