Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wot? No user reports of Windows 10 yet?  (Read 58287 times)

Jimbo57

Re: Wot? No user reports of Windows 10 yet?
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 11:20:13 am »

Someone once said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

......and it is often quoted!

But it just has to be the stupidest, most inane, cliché ever spouted. Think about it - if we only tried to fix what was broken, then we would never attempt to improve what works well. In other words, there would be no progress, either technologically or artistically.

Enjoy painting on the walls of your cave!

:)

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 06:07:05 pm »

Someone once said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." What's your computer for - processing photos and making prints? Or are you obsessed with having the latest of everything even if it does not improve your photographic work? Ooo ooh, a new iPhone!!

My Win 7 system runs Lightroom, Photoshop, and a few other photo apps fast and totally without errors or crashes. I would upgrade to a new OS because ... why?

Do what's best for you.

Hi Peter,

Do not worry and be happy. If you do not want to participate in this run for the latest, it is OK, nobody will say anything. Everybody does what he likes to do.

So what is the problem for you ? Your hardware and everything works. Great for you ... I respect your way of thinking but then also please respect MY way of thinking and if you get upset because you think that People are asking you for helping to solve their problems, YOU are wrong Peter ...

If you do not want to help it is absolutely OK, but stop trying to impose your way of thinking on other people ... and yes you wrote " Do what's best for you " Yes we are doing it ¿ and ?

If there would not be  an Idiot and Stupid Guy like me upgrading to the latest software due to curiosity and perhaps getting something better, there would perhaps be no evolution ¿?

Now solving my problem with Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 is MY Problem and not your Problem, so where is the Problem ?

Saludos from an Idiot because of wanting the latest ...

Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

Onslow

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 09:40:18 am »

I've just purchased a new system to replace my 6yr old i7 920 pc on win7 64. My machine was well setup and ran great. However, age was catching up even with ssds and 24gb of ram. I backed up the disks and partitions onto 4 separate external drives in case I suffered failures during the migration.
My new machine was bought and installed with Win 8.1 Pro onboard with the free upgrade also factored in. It took me just over two days to migrate to the new machine and restore all my settings, drivers and profiles I had built.
Once I was satisfied that 8.1 pro was setup correctly, I decided that since it was new and downtime was being factored into the upgrade that I may as well bite the bullet and do the upgrade. I downloaded the iso and ran it from within 8.1. A half hr later, I was up and running.
The first issue was my NEC MultiSync LCD2690WUXi2 and Eizo CG277 weren't recognised correctly. I have a Quadro K2200 video card. I went to the nvidia site, updated to the latest driver and that was solved.
My 2nd issue involved my Wacom Intuos Pro 5 tablet where I was unable to grab the sliders and move them. I could tap them and move like that but not grab and move. I eventually found something called Use Windows Ink in the driver. I disabled that and it worked fine.
My 3 Samsung SSDs, 1tb (OS, Programs etc), 500Gb (LR Catalog) and 120Gb (System and PS swap files) are working fine.
The onboard raid with 4x4tb WD red drives is fine.
I now have a minor issue in Win 10 which occurred in 8.1 where my main LR (2015.1.1) window is on the Eizo which is set as Monitor 1. Monitor two (the NEC) is set as the main display. Now, with LR on the Eizo, if I select say a collection, that will cause LR to flick to monitor 2, The main display which is NOT what I want, I need to keep dragging it over to the correct window. This is a bit annoying and haven't discovered a cause yet..
I have all programs up to date and working.
PS cc is installed and 30 bit support is enabled. I synched all the settings from my old machine to the cloud, I now have synched them down to this. The only thing that didn't synch were my colour settings so I did that manually.
LR has recognised all the old print settings etc which is good and was something I was concerned about.
My Xrite i1 Pro2 is up to date and all the software is working. I brought my data from the old machine such as measurements, profiles etc and they are all ok.
Colorthink pro has installed fine and working.
The NEC spectraview and Eizo ColorNavigator software is working fine with no glitches and is up to date.
I was led to believe that LR6 didn't make use of all available cores in the chip. I imported a thousand raws from my Canon 5Dmkii as a test. I had the onboard usb3.0 cf reader read the card. I imported them as Convert to DNG on import. I opened resource monitor to watch what happened. The import status showed that files started coming across. I then immediately had the Convert to dng status indicate that it was working straight away and NOT waiting for the import to finish. The resource monitor showed my i7 5930k (6 cores, 12 threads) chip with 64gb was utilising all 12 at around 75% utilisation. It was very quick compared to my old i7 920 with 24gb. After the import staus showed the import had finished and only the conversion was occurring, the utilisation dropped to around 40?%.. This was really a lot quicker. I didn't perform this test though on 8.1, only Win 7 64 with 24gb and win 10 with 64gb. 
Backups of around 1.5Tb which took around 24 hrs on my old machine now take around 3 hrs. How much is down to Win 10 though I don't know.
Overall, I think the upgrade from 8.1 to win 10 is worthwhile. It just seems very much like Win 7 with which I was very comfortable. I think overall, MS seem to have gotten this right.

Cheers

Onslow

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 01:06:05 pm »

I built a new workstation last week and upgraded from Win7 to Win8.1 and have seen no problems with any of the software or hardware that I'm running.  Win10 really does not have many useful features for me as I don't have mobile devices that are compatible with Windows; they are all Android.  I would not upgrade if so inclined for another six months or so to allow MSFT and hardware vendors to work out all the kinks.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 01:56:53 pm »

Think about it - if we only tried to fix what was broken, then we would never attempt to improve what works well. In other words, there would be no progress, either technologically or artistically.
The problem is that not every attempt at 'progress' is successful.
Microsoft give a fine example with Windows 8, widely regarded as a retrograde change.
To a significant extent Windows 10 is just removing most change that 8 tried and wasn't liked.

For a desktop users W10 really doesn't add anything significant to the W7 experience, so why bother spending the time changing OS for little or no benefit and risk possibly loosing functionality in some parts of one's system ?

AlterEgo

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 02:49:15 pm »

For a desktop users W10 really doesn't add anything significant to the W7 experience, so why bother spending the time changing OS for little or no benefit and risk possibly loosing functionality in some parts of one's system ?
for my notebook, using W7 or later switching to W8.1 required some 3rd party drivers installation to make it working properly - with W10 though I did not have to bother, everything was already in place (fresh W10 installation on a new SSD drive, not upgrade in place)... a small issue, but pleasant nevertheless

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 02:52:53 pm »

I built a new workstation last week and upgraded from Win7 to Win8.1 and have seen no problems with any of the software or hardware that I'm running.  Win10 really does not have many useful features for me as I don't have mobile devices that are compatible with Windows; they are all Android.

Alan, before long you'll probably be able to run your Android apps under Windows... 

I would not upgrade if so inclined for another six months or so to allow MSFT and hardware vendors to work out all the kinks.

That's the safer route, but a drive mirror of all partitions should also allow to restore the current environment, should an essential program/driver need to be fixed first.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 02:58:53 pm »

The problem is that not every attempt at 'progress' is successful.
Microsoft give a fine example with Windows 8, widely regarded as a retrograde change.
To a significant extent Windows 10 is just removing most change that 8 tried and wasn't liked.

That's oversimplifying things a bit.

For a while you're right, if you do not want to make use of improved integration of functionality, e.g. 'Edge' browser based. FireFox et al will of course also not sit still, so we'll have to see how that develops. But gradually you'll notice that things could be more streamlined than possible withh Win7. It of course also does depend on which particular products (hardware/software) one uses.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 06:09:50 pm »

For a while you're right, if you do not want to make use of improved integration of functionality, e.g. 'Edge' browser based.
I've not yet read of anything that Edge offers that would be a step forward from the browsers I use now on W7.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 08:50:55 am »

Alan, before long you'll probably be able to run your Android apps under Windows... 

Cheers,
Bart
That will be an interesting advance but right now all my Google stuff is synched between both the PC and my Android tablet and phone.  I don't run all that many aps and the tablet is used mainly for Kindle books and watching some stuff when I don't want to turn on the TV.

Alan

stingray

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 02:17:50 pm »

Upgraded from 8.1 to 10.  Very smooth.... had an issue with a Buffalo USB 3 drive, which complicated the upgrade, but blame Buffalo rather than Microsoft for this issue.

I am very happy with the result.  Windows Explorer "Quick Access" finally works as it should, where I can keep my most used folders in the top left hand window.

I also like when I drag a window and locks to one  side  and it provides me with options as to what window I would like on the other side, from programs running in the background.

Seems to be quicker.

No issues with Lightroom or Photoshop.

Great that my machine is good to go for another few years. I built it about 5 years ago and amazed I am still satisfied with performance.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up