Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wot? No user reports of Windows 10 yet?  (Read 58251 times)

Jimbo57

Wot? No user reports of Windows 10 yet?
« on: July 29, 2015, 05:05:28 am »

As above..........

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Wot? No user reports of Windows 10 yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 06:14:13 am »

As above..........

Obviously this is not DPreview. So free software / OS upgrades are treated with respect here ..., if even mentioned. ;)

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 01:33:14 pm »

The OS rollout is not available to everyone immediately.
Gerald J Skrocki

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:14:59 pm »

I'm staying on Win7 but building a new workstation that will be running Win8.1.  I'm not upgrading for at least 6-8 months if that.  I'm dissatisfied with the lack of control on Windows updates (MSFT is forcing all updates on Win 10).

Alan

AlterEgo

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 02:19:34 pm »

I'm dissatisfied with the lack of control on Windows updates (MSFT is forcing all updates on Win 10).

even for a 'Pro' version ? I did not follow the matter ...

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 02:40:11 pm »

Obviously this is not DPreview.
Thank goodness for that!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 08:06:23 am »

even for a 'Pro' version ? I did not follow the matter ...
Yes, that's my understanding.  There has been a feature in the test version to control updates and there was a major failure with NVIDIA GPUs a couple of weeks ago that necessitated this.  I don't mind the MSFT security updates being done automatically as I have that configured in my Win7 workstation.  I don't allow any device dependent updates to be installed at all.  This is the aspect that has me most worried with Win10. 

There are lots of instructive comments over on overclock.net

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 03:11:34 pm »

I'm going for it, going to install it on my laptop.
I have the existing operating system and apps backed up on my USB HDD using Acronis and I have a bootable USB stick with Acronis recovery on it. Soooo if the worst comes to the worst it should be a simple matter of restoring Win 8.1. I've used Acronis before to clone disks etc, it's very good.

Paul
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 12:57:45 am »

I installed Windows 10 on my Wacom Cintiq Companion and it works wonderfully. The OS is much more responsive, the computer faster and it seemed to fix the finicky WiFi I was experiencing with Window 8.1 Pro.
Gerald J Skrocki

ned

Re:
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 08:35:43 am »

Anyone have any issues with scsi after upgrading? Scsi works perfectly on my w7 machine with VueScan and a Minolta multi pro and don't want it to break.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re:
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 08:56:45 am »

Anyone have any issues with scsi after upgrading? Scsi works perfectly on my w7 machine with VueScan and a Minolta multi pro and don't want it to break.

Hi,

Have you checked with the manufacturer of your SCSI card (e.g. Adaptec?)? Maybe they have driver updates if necessary, or you could ask them directly. Surely they would be the first to get issues reported, if it was not already known before the release of Win 10.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 11:34:48 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

BJL

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 09:01:25 am »

The Ars Technica "Gadgets" section is probably a better place for OS upgrade user reviews and comments than here, except for questions specific to photographic usage.  As tech. sites go, it seems to have a _relatively_ knowledgeable and OS-neutral air.  Of course, filter for the usual fact that problems get posted about far more than uneventful updates.

aderickson

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 09:55:14 am »

I upgraded last night from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. I had my Nikon Coolscan ED V scanner working with Nikon Scan on Win 7 using hacked drivers I found on the web. Win 10 installation broke this so my scanner is not seen. I downloaded the Silverfast 8.5 demo and it installed the correct drivers. Nikon Scan now works.

I had to reinstall the Epson drivers for my Perfection V750 pro scanner. My licensed installation of Silverfast 6.6 for that scanner got carried over in the upgrade and seems to work properly.

My monitor profile wasn't being loaded by DisplGUI. DisplGUI informed me an update was available so I did that and now seems to work properly.

My Nvidia GT730 display card wasn't identified properly at first and the latest Nvidia drivers would not install. After fussing around in Device Manager with "update driver" it finally was identified properly and the Nvidia drivers installed.

Allan

Wordwaster

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 03:10:37 pm »

I upgraded last night and Win 10 doesn't recognize my NEC PA241.  I downloaded the latest driver, but still no recognition.  Does anyone know if NEC will update their drivers soon?  Otherwise, I am dealing with the usual Microsoft tendency to default to their apps.  I had to open Adobe Reader and change it to the default for PDF docs to avoid having them open in Edge.

Lightroom CC opens just fine, but seems to be somewhat slower than in  Win 7.  Haven't had a chance to check my print drivers.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 08:19:31 am »

It seems that people running Win 7 or 8 can download Win 10 for free. Win XP users will have to pay. Everything I have read seems to agree that Win 10 is a thoroughly tested and worthwhile upgrade (unlike the malodorous Win 8). The personal assistant (similar to Siri) and the new browser get particularly high praise. However, this does not speak to how well it plays with our photography apps.

I might try Win 10 on my everyday computer but for my photo system I am staying with 7.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 10:13:53 am »

I upgraded last night and Win 10 doesn't recognize my NEC PA241.  I downloaded the latest driver, but still no recognition.  Does anyone know if NEC will update their drivers soon? 
You connect a USB cable for communication? I had the same issue a few years ago on the Mac, you have to use the USB cable for communications to and from the display.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 02:11:45 pm »

Hi,

After reding the original message I upgraded to WIndows 10.

So far the upgrade took 1 hour. The upgrade did not respect certain previous configuration I had on Win 8 like

now X-Rite software is telling me that my profile is too old having just made a new calibration 2 days ago. ( I just hope that the profiling software does work on Win 10)

Adobe Photoshop Elements 13 does not work

Adobe Premiere Elements 13 works

Capture One Pro v8.x.x works

Fast Raw Viewer works

Photomatix works

Canons DPP works

Finding how to do adjustments is now more difficult then in Win 8

That is so far what I have seen ...
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 02:27:12 pm »

Just made a new calibration and all went perfect.

;)
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 05:00:53 pm »

Someone once said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." What's your computer for - processing photos and making prints? Or are you obsessed with having the latest of everything even if it does not improve your photographic work? Ooo ooh, a new iPhone!!

My Win 7 system runs Lightroom, Photoshop, and a few other photo apps fast and totally without errors or crashes. I would upgrade to a new OS because ... why?

Do what's best for you.

AlterEgo

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 11:07:50 am »

I installed extra SSD drive in my PC notebook and put a fresh W10Pro installation there - I can switch through BIOS between two SSD bootable drives to use either 8.1 or 10 now and use my other HDD with the data/raws/etc in both setups... that way I can gradually study the new OS and migrate applications... so far my 2 most beloved apps that make life easier (they help me to get rid of the new UI as much as possible) do work in W10 (as they did w/ 8.1) = http://www.classicshell.net and http://www.yamicsoft.com/windows10manager/index.html
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up