Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Disturbing  (Read 46520 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: Disturbing
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2015, 04:41:21 am »

Some hunters use bow and arrow to make it more challenging than guns.   
There's another reason for the rising popularity of bows. They are quiet, so illegal activities such as this one are less likely to be noticed.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2015, 04:55:11 am »

I think that the numptie who drafted the petition is every bit as mentally disturbed as the "hunter" who killed the tame lion.

I make no excuses for the American dentist who did the killing nor for the PH who laid it on for him. But the petitioner is obviously one of those animal "rights" weirdos.

Wouldn't a sanely worded petition have gathered much more support? Including that of genuine hunters who abhor this type of lunacy.
I find the killing and the petition pretty much equally disturbing.
So someone who asks for a criminal to be punished is disturbed because they asked for justice to be served?  ???
I'd agree that the petition is emotive, heartfelt and rambles a bit, so not exactly  your usual dry legalese writing.
However this is the last line and is the key part of the petition.

"I urge you to severely punish to the maximum degree the hunter who committed this horrific crime, if found guilty."

That's a fairly reasonable request I'd say, to use the law to punish someone if found guilty. Going by the two hysterical posts above, I expected the petition to demand the hunter beheaded and skinned like his trophy.  ::)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2015, 05:15:05 am »

Does anyone think that after this incident that dentists will be disliked as much as lawyers? :)

The only way to avoid such a scenario would be to sacrifice a dentist or two and throw them to the lions.
According to viralnova, about 70 people per year are eaten by African lions. Regretfully, they don't specify the occupations.

http://www.viralnova.com/animals-that-kill-humans/

jjj

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2015, 05:30:18 am »

The only way to avoid such a scenario would be to sacrifice a dentist or two and throw them to the lions.
According to viralnova, about 70 people per year are eaten by African lions. Regretfully, they don't specify the occupations.

http://www.viralnova.com/animals-that-kill-humans/

You're using a click bait website for facts!  ???

Though I liked this grammatically vague 'fact'.
The Tsetse fly is what spread the African sleeping sickness, which affects as many as 500,000 people, 80 percent of whom eventually die.
So the other 20% live for ever. Who'd have guessed.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2015, 12:50:11 pm »

Does anyone think that after this incident that dentists will be disliked as much as lawyers? :)

Only by dumb people I guess. :D

BLS reports that in 2012 there were about 146,800 dentists in the US.

The news is reporting that there was 1 dentist/poacher.

Why would anyone make an opinion on a population based on 0.0000068 sample?

We may dislike this specific dentist/poacher, but why would what this one person did affect how we would perceive everyone else in his profession that is not a Poacher?

This jerk shot the lion not because he was a dentist, but because he was a poacher.  Hate him because he is a scumbag poacher, not because he is a dentist.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Isaac

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2015, 12:59:26 pm »

Why don't you stick to the subject? Do you condone the killing or are you against it? If you aren't sure of what the subject is then ask your carer for help.

Right on!

As before. Enjoy your cheap outrage.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2015, 02:35:03 pm »

So someone who asks for a criminal to be punished is disturbed because they asked for justice to be served?  ???

I wrote nothing about the individual. You appear unable (and not just in this post) to distinguish a person from his opinions.

That's a fairly reasonable request I'd say, to use the law to punish someone if found guilty. Going by the two hysterical posts above, I expected the petition to demand the hunter beheaded and skinned like his trophy.  ::)

You might also benefit from an understanding of the meaning of "hysterical".

Jeremy

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2015, 02:56:53 pm »

Right on!

As before. Enjoy your cheap outrage.

The outrage was directed to the killer. For you, dear Isaac, I have only warm feelings (and sometimes, a deep concern).

Isaac

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2015, 05:01:29 pm »

The outrage was directed to the killer.

There was no confusion about that; enjoy your cheap outrage.

stamper

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2015, 03:39:03 am »

Isaac in the past you have come across as a religious person - quoting the bible - so I would have thought you would have had sympathy for the fate of an innocent animal but all I see is cynicism and not a shred of humanity. :( 

Jimbo57

« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2015, 04:40:08 am »

Isn't there something deeply disturbing about giving wild animals human names? Especially names like "Cecil", presumably chosen to "honour" the "founder" of Rhodesia?

stamper

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2015, 04:42:39 am »

Isn't there something deeply disturbing about giving wild animals human names? Especially names like "Cecil", presumably chosen to "honour" the "founder" of Rhodesia?

A common practice? I don't see a problem

DennisWilliams

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2015, 04:52:36 am »

I am against poaching.  If that was the case here  shoot those who knew they were doing so.

I am against  humanizing wild animals  by naming them with human names and referring to them as "individual".

Although someone intimately involved may  have known it was 'Cecil'  and he had a tracking collar,  I had never heard of the cat  and question with all that mane if one would even see the collar from the distance you would be shooting.

With thousands of kilos of elephant ivory and rhino horn leaving the continent every year  so that  trinkets can be carved and dick less Asian men can imagine virility  one elderly lion is what social media and Betty White get their panties twisted over. Astounding.

Birkin wants her name taken off the Croc Birkin Bag because the producers of the skins used are mean to the crocodiles yet millions are spent every year in Cabo sport fishing for the biggest marlin. Poor things yanked by a hook in the mouth unceremoniously from the water.

Where's the love for  fish? Are they not special enough?  No Cecils in Cabo?

Isaac

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2015, 02:09:31 pm »

Isaac in the past you have come across as a religious person - quoting the bible - so I would have thought you would have had sympathy for the fate of an innocent animal but all I see is cynicism and not a shred of humanity. :( 

In the past you have come across as someone who enjoys denigrating other forum users -- there you go again.

As before: Most-of-us do buy out-of-season produce cheaply in supermarkets, so most-of-us are complicit in the large scale destruction of wildlife habitats (and entire species) to grow those rich country crops.

As before: The consequences of our rampant consumerism are vastly destructive.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2015, 02:10:09 pm »

Even more disturbing is giving humans names of wild places, i.e. Dakota, Sierra, Sea, Moon, etc. And I'm not even mentioning first names, such as Dodge, Nisan, Audi and Royce.
Yes, they should have given Cecil a more dignified and descriptive name, such as Hwange-Lion-2002-0047.

Typical lifespan of an African lion is 10-16 years in wild. He was barely 13 years old when he crossed the path with the Minnesota most infamous bow and arrow shooter.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2015, 02:53:57 pm »

In the past you have come across as someone who enjoys denigrating other forum users -- there you go again.

As before: Most-of-us do buy out-of-season produce cheaply in supermarkets, so most-of-us are complicit in the large scale destruction of wildlife habitats (and entire species) to grow those rich country crops.

As before: The consequences of our rampant consumerism are vastly destructive.

I second the motion. To go one step further, we can grow our own produce and eliminate packaging, transportation, and spoilage costs. Just picked up two good size zucchinis from my little garden.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 08:43:27 am by LesPalenik »

jjj

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2015, 07:29:31 pm »

I wrote nothing about the individual. You appear unable (and not just in this post) to distinguish a person from his opinions.
So you say "I find the killing and the petition pretty much equally disturbing." yet apparently you are not commenting in any way on the petition writer, who writes these 'disturbing things'. Nice splitting of hairs whilst there along with a good dash of rudeness Jeremy.
BTW, a person and their opinions are not separate items. If a person has for example racist opinions then they are a racist. Opinions/views are a major part of what makes a person who they are.

You might also benefit from an understanding of the meaning of "hysterical".
I know exactly what it means and 'overwrought' describes both posts spot on in my view. As I said above, asking for justice to be legally served is not in any way disturbing. It's a reasonable request, even if not written quite as well as it could have been. You finding wanting justice serving disturbing however, now that is a bit weird.

jjj

« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2015, 07:36:22 pm »

He's also quoted numerous photographers. This does not mean he take pictures himself.  ;)

Also why suppose that because someone is religious they would have any interest in an animal's fate or welfare?
I would tend to think the opposite, for example religions are currently objecting in Denmark to being forced to use humane methods for killing animals.
Not that the Danes treat their factory farmed animals humanely in the first place, so a somewhat hypocritical stance.

jjj

« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2015, 07:50:38 pm »

You seem very easily disturbed by things.  ???
So, are you less disturbed by people giving their pet's names and what non-human names would you suggest we call wild animals?

Anyway, calling a human Cecil would be far worse I'd have thought, as it's long been seen as a old fashioned toff's name here in the UK. More likely to be used in comedy sketches.
Though I'm now wondering how many babies are going to be inflicted with it this coming year.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2015, 12:37:05 am »

Just another case for bored professional arm-chair outragers to be outraged.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up