Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Disturbing  (Read 46507 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Disturbing
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 03:53:43 am »

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 04:30:25 am »

What do you find disturbing about the petition then ? 

If find the killing of the lion disturbing, paying 55k USD to brutally (yes, google 'cecil the lion' if you will) murder a neigh tame animal...what a sport.

He should have dropped that amount of cash on the new Phase One..could have a shot a whole lot more lions with that  ;)

Cheers, Sander

Manoli

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 05:06:47 am »

"
Officials in Zimbabwe have reported that Cecil the Lion was illegally hunted for $55,000 by Walter James Palmer, a dentist from Minnesota. Cecil was allegedly lured out of his home in a national park using food, shot with a crossbow, tracked for 40 more hours, then murdered with a gun. Cecil’s head was cut off as a trophy of his murder, and he was skinned.  Cecil was part of an Oxford University research project and wore a GPS collar.
"

If true and illegal, then a warrant for his arrest should be issued and an application to have him extradited should follow. Something tells me that the USA, though keen to extend the reach of the DoJ worldwide, aren't so enthusiastic when it comes to reciprocity.

I'm also told that this is being widely reported today across the EU , including the BBC, Times, Guardian and petitions are gathering 'substantial momentum'.

Personally, I'd crucify the 'low-life'.

@kikashi
Jeremy, can't follow your thought process here - perhaps you could expand ?

Jimbo57

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 05:14:12 am »

I think that the numptie who drafted the petition is every bit as mentally disturbed as the "hunter" who killed the tame lion.

I make no excuses for the American dentist who did the killing nor for the PH who laid it on for him. But the petitioner is obviously one of those animal "rights" weirdos.

Wouldn't a sanely worded petition have gathered much more support? Including that of genuine hunters who abhor this type of lunacy.

SanderKikkert

• flickr
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 06:15:20 am »

I couldn't access the actual petition here (at work) so didn't read the text and see how weird the text of the petition is. I assumed that the text was only about making sure that if what is claimed to have happened actually happened, the dentist would be brought to justice.

Don't expect too much from that though, if i read correctly he has been fined in the past: a measly USD 3000 for killing a black bear, an endangered species. As long as there are people who can drop 50K - 350K for a single hunt/kill/trophy the fines should be the double amount of that really, otherwise it's just another fee for them which they'll happily pay.

Best Regards, Sander

spidermike

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 06:21:05 am »

I couldn't access the actual petition here (at work) so didn't read the text and see how weird the text of the petition is. I assumed that the text was only about making sure that if what is claimed to have happened actually happened, the dentist would be brought to justice.

The petition is a rambling mess of ideas that the author has not really given enough thought to to create a cogent argument. IMO not worth signing onto.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 07:39:32 am »

If the identity of the poacher is correct,

I certainly hope that the residents of Min will take their business elsewhere. 

Punishing him professionally and financially may be a more fitting punishment.

That's how I word a petition.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Manoli

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 10:02:11 am »

ITM, #justiceforcecil is trending big time.
And try one of the other petitions ...

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 10:05:36 am by Manoli »

stamper

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 10:21:31 am »

BBC television this morning had a grovelling apology from the killer this morning so a confession has been made. I doubt he will be allowed into Africa again unless he is extradited. I suppose the game hunting fraternity in the USA won't agree he has done something wrong only that he has been outed?

Isaac

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 10:54:03 am »

I doubt he will be allowed into Africa again unless he is extradited.

Big place Africa. Lot's of different countries.

stamper

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 11:00:37 am »

Big place Africa. Lot's of different countries.

Are you sure?

stamper

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 11:02:13 am »

I find the killing and the petition pretty much equally disturbing.

Jeremy

How so?

Peter

Jeremy is a lawyer so he will probably have a different perspective on things.

Manoli

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 11:17:54 am »

A new unpalatable dimension to the word 'sport' ..

Manoli

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 11:23:45 am »

I suppose the game hunting fraternity in the USA won't agree he has done something wrong only that he has been outed?

Well, at least Newt Gingrich came straight out with it when he tweeted
" The entire team that killed the lion cecil should go to jail including the Minneapolis dentist"

You can change the law but how do you change the mindset ?

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 11:29:10 am »

"I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion."
Yes, you can tell how much he regrets it from this photo.

This photo is repeated hundreds of times a year with different animals and different people. Hopefully society is reaching a turning point in how it views trophy hunting. The attempt to boost your ego by killing an animal and mounting it's head on your wall in an attempt to impress your friends is the height of selfishness.  It's time for civil society to start shunning anyone who condones this. It's perverted and sick.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:38:41 am by pcgpcg »

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 11:59:28 am »

I'm not a fan of trophy hunting, we get plenty of it here in Western Colorado. I find it sickening.
But sustenance hunting is another matter. I don't hunt myself but I do eat game that friends have taken and understand hunting has its place in the modern ecosystem (in which top predators have been eliminated or drastically reduced in numbers).

But the people calling for this guys death are also out of line and I hate to be aligned with them because I also object to this hunt.
I think he deserves some kind of punishment, and I'm sure he is getting his fair share at the moment. I'd like him to be an example for other trophy hunters, especially if they might be tempted to go on an illegal or questionable hunt. If he is correct that the guides misled him, that buys him a smidge of sympathy from me. But then again he is a trophy hunter, killing exotic animals for fun and (I imagine) status.
Ugh.
-MattB

AlterEgo

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 12:11:32 pm »

aren't so enthusiastic when it comes to reciprocity.
and extrajudicial killings for that matter  :D ... but that's expected

AlterEgo

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 12:15:13 pm »

Wouldn't a sanely worded petition have gathered much more support?
if there is a law that makes it a crime to participate as a combatant in a conflict abroad then the law is due to make it a crime to go hunting big game abroad either...  just like a trade in poached skins, etc.

Isaac

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 12:18:27 pm »

Hopefully society is reaching a turning point in how it views trophy hunting.

Most-of-us don't trophy hunt, so most-of-us can partake of some cheap outrage - stopping trophy hunting wouldn't cost most-of-us anything.

Most-of-us do buy out-of-season produce cheaply in supermarkets, so most-of-us are complicit in the large scale destruction of wildlife habitats to grow those rich country crops.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up