Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC (6) and OS X El Capitan  (Read 4905 times)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Lightroom CC (6) and OS X El Capitan
« on: July 28, 2015, 02:35:33 pm »

Just wonder with the release of Apple's El  OS XCapitan coming in the fall if anyone has been Beta Testing using Lightroom CC (6)?
If so do you see any increase in overall performance? Been reading that the introduction of Metal makes system-level graphics rendering 40 percent more efficient.
I assume that should increase the overall performance of Lightroom.

Stu

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
Re: Lightroom CC (6) and OS X El Capitan
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 04:05:31 pm »

Metal is an API for programmers to use in their applications. Adobe needs to redo its GPU code of Lightroom to use it (I think right now they are using OpenGL, that is compatible both with Windows and OS X), so, unless Adobe spends time and effort redoing its code to Metal I will not expect to have a big impact due to this aspect.

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 04:30:57 pm »

Metal is an API for programmers to use in their applications. Adobe needs to redo its GPU code of Lightroom to use it (I think right now they are using OpenGL, that is compatible both with Windows and OS X), so, unless Adobe spends time and effort redoing its code to Metal I will not expect to have a big impact due to this aspect.

David thanks for the reply.

Did some research since I posted my question and found this http://petapixel.com/2015/06/08/apple-os-x-el-capitan-to-improve-the-performance-of-adobe-cc-apps/ where it states Adobe will be adopting Matel. So if this is true we may see a performance increase with Lightroom CC (6).

Stu
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:35:03 pm by StuartOnline »

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:04:13 pm »

Did some research since I posted my question and found this http://petapixel.com/2015/06/08/apple-os-x-el-capitan-to-improve-the-performance-of-adobe-cc-apps/ where it states Adobe will be adopting Matel. So if this is true we may see a performance increase with Lightroom CC (6).

Yup: it certainly seems unlikely that Adobe wouldn't at least be looking at this.  Apple appears already to have done all the heavy lifting.

davidgp

• davidgp fotografia
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 12:37:48 am »

Right, now that I see that link I remember that during the presentation at WWDC of Apple they show some declarations of Adobe saying that Metal increased speed for After Effect by 8x... Not sure how much Lightroom develop module will benefit... But let's see...

For me, the hope for El Capitan is that they make again another snow leopard, I mean, no new features but very stable and quick...

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 04:50:09 pm »

For me, the hope for El Capitan is that they make again another snow leopard, I mean, no new features but very stable and quick...

+1
Regards,
Ron

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 06:11:30 pm »

I'm using it, and things work fine.

I'd be surprised if LR 6 gets any direct support for Metal, though. While Metal is cool, and easy to use, it would require rewriting a fair bit of code, I'd expect. And Adobe would probably need to take time (and then charge for non-CC members) to do that.

Here's to hoping LR 7 includes support for it, though. And of course an installer which isn't HORRID (i.e. why can't LR 6 installs be like LR 5, without that POS AAM in the mix ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up