Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Online Print facilities  (Read 611 times)

pedz

• http://www.why-not-photography.com
Online Print facilities
« on: July 27, 2015, 06:49:52 pm »

I have a nice printer but I have not used it in many years due to various reasons.  For me to get back into it, I'd have to restock the paper (it all got damaged when a pipe broke) and perhaps ink.  Plus, it usually takes me a few weeks to feel like I am back up to speed with all the subtle ins and outs of printing.  So I thought I'd send a few images off to be printed.

I picked (mostly arbitrarily) Bay Photo and tried to use them this weekend.  They use something called ROES software which is a java package that does not work in my case.  The first problem is that I don't run as an Admin user on my Mac.  The second problem is that my download pipe is only 1Mb/s and as soon as I started up the application it would saturate the pipe downloading something -- I have no idea what.  And it stayed that way for all the time I tinkered with it (which as less than an hour probably but more than 15 minutes).

The straw that broken the camels back was they accept only jpeg and I assume only sRGB.

Today, I went to ProDPI to try again and I was shocked to find out that they have the same software with the same name "ROES" with all the same problems.

As a side note, I did send an image to Costco for a friend a few weeks back and it seemed ok.  They were only jpeg and I assumed only sRGB but for a simple printing place, that didn't surprise me.  The two places above claim to be "Pro" quality so I was expecting to be able to use a TIFF and ProPhoto color space.

Also, with all the internet hacking, it appears that the Costco back end photo print site got hacked and they (Costco) have currently turned off the whole program temporarily -- otherwise, I'd just use them again.  I may put it on a USB stick and get it printed that way but what a horrid pain.

Now, I realize that not too many people run their Mac users accounts as non-Admins but I would figure a good 10% do (I would hope).  And I realize that most of the folks on this forum just print their images themselves but I thought I'd ask if there was any suggestions of some place to print images (that do not use this ROES software package).
Pages: [1]   Go Up