Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lr CC/6 CPU usage 100%  (Read 2760 times)

Paul Wright

Lr CC/6 CPU usage 100%
« on: July 27, 2015, 12:39:32 am »

While I do like the features that shipped with Lr CC it hasn't been a great performer on my very powerful Win 8.1 PC ( 32Gb memory, i7 3.6GHz CPU & fully updated nVidia GTX 770 graphics ) Also using Wacom Intuos with latest drivers.

Lr CC scarcely functions with "Use Graphics Processor" checked, mainly in the form of non-responsive or unresponsive sliders. With "Use Graphics Processor" unchecked Lr CC becomes usable, though frustratingly so. If I've got a big job on an urgent deadline I'm more likely to process the Canon DNG's on Lr 5.7 which thankfully is still installed. Today I did a side-by-side test of CPU usage processing the same set of DNG's. Lr 5.7 hovered around 50% CPU usage whereas Lr CC was hogging the lot with usage bumping between 95-100%. And unsurprisingly the process time was considerably longer. Gasp.

I'm perplexed and irritated. Lr CC was meant to be the a more efficient speed demon. Help!

-pw

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Lr CC/6 CPU usage 100%
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 01:37:24 pm »

I can't speak to win 8.1, however LR CC had some similar issues with my win64 machine, i7 3.2 ghz, 32GB ram machine.  I moved the catalog off of C, where it has always been with previous versions and the difference was amazing. 

CPU usage for my machine will hit close to 50% to 70% briefly, but when I am just working in an image, with the sliders, etc, it tends to be at 25% and then only briefly. 

You might try moving the catalog and or a total reinstall of LR CC. 

Paul 
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul Wright

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 11:23:31 pm »

Thanks Paul, I'll give anything a try, but intuitively this won't do much as the C drive is SSD and anywhere else is regular 7200 rpm HDD.

-pw

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 09:57:08 am »

I am running LR CC 2015 on a very similar hardware setup except I am using Win 7. I never see issues such as you describe. Could it be your Windows version? Seems unlikely, though. I won't claim that CC is faster than 5.7, and subjectively I might say it's a wee bit slower, particularly when switching to Photoshop for editing (bu that could be PS CC also). You are sure, I take it, that no other process is eating those CPU cycles?  FWIW, my program and OS are on a RAID 0 array and the catalog and images are on a separate RAID 0 array.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 12:19:39 pm »

Thanks Paul, I'll give anything a try, but intuitively this won't do much as the C drive is SSD and anywhere else is regular 7200 rpm HDD.

-pw

Hi Paul

I thought the same thing as my OS is on an SSD also. But that drive is now arounf 2 years old or close and in my experience more than likely pretty fragmented.  I had a 2nd SSD that I only use for Cc scratch drives so I moved the LR there off of the Drive the OS is on. The difference in performance was like night and day for me.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up