Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem to tether my Canon 5Dsr into Lightroom  (Read 12918 times)

mhospelt

• Michael Hospelt Photography
Problem to tether my Canon 5Dsr into Lightroom
« on: July 26, 2015, 06:04:46 pm »

Hi, when I try to tether shoot into Lightroom with my 5DSR, the tether bar in Lightroom switches from showing 5DSR to "no camera detected" and I'm unable to take photos. Anybody has the same problems or knows a solution? Thanks in advance.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
Re: Problem to tether my Canon 5Dsr into Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 07:19:26 pm »

Tethering of the 5Ds/5dsr is not supported at the moment in LR.  I'm sure it will be added in a future release.

mhospelt

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 08:58:45 pm »

Thanks for the info. This is crazy!

mhospelt

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 10:00:24 pm »

Is there any plug in, that solves the problem, like there is one for the Sony A7 I used?

spidermike

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 03:00:14 am »

Does it have to be lightroom? Can you not use the Canon software and then import to LR? It an extra step but will work until the LR functionality is released

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 03:00:30 am »

Is there any plug in, that solves the problem, like there is one for the Sony A7 I used?

Hi,

Can't you, for the moment, use the Canon utility for tethering and set up a 'Watched folder' in Lightroom for automatic import?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

spidermike

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 03:02:07 am »

Just googled '5DSR Lightroom tethering' and someone sees to have found a workaround

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 03:43:23 am »

Just googled '5DSR Lightroom tethering' and someone sees to have found a workaround

Hi,

Maybe you are referring to a variation of this (although formal preliminary tethering support has already been added with version 8.3.2) but then for Lightroom like explained here?

Maybe it works, but using the route via a Watched folder at least seems less risky.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 03:49:45 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

spidermike

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 03:57:59 am »

D'oh!

I forgot to post the link - Sorry about that.  You are right Bart, this is the link I found but it is a variation on the CR1 method.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1881811

David Good

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 03:57:00 pm »

This is crazy!

Mike, sometimes we just have to take a step back and realize how difficult it can be to add support for all new products. We have become a society expecting instant everything (I blame Mickey Donalds...) and instant gratification. This body has only been out for a very short time relatively speaking, patience grasshopper, all good things....
Cheers,
Dave

mhospelt

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 09:53:16 pm »

Give me a break! Adobe has information about this camera for about 6 months. They know it is a studio or architecture professional camera and people will teather into Lightroom.
This is not about to change a lot of code .....

David Good

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 10:17:30 pm »

I did. Until such time as Adobe can add that feature to their product there is the EOS Utility or DPP4.X for tethering. They may not be optimal solutions for you but will work in the mean time.

spidermike

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 02:54:40 am »

Give me a break! Adobe has information about this camera for about 6 months. They know it is a studio or architecture professional camera and people will teather into Lightroom.
This is not about to change a lot of code .....

Give me a break! 'Hey guys, Canon has this new camera called the 5DS let's invent some software for it'.
It also relies on Canon giving them the code, or Adobe having to reverse engineer it. And given the primacy of Adobe in the post-processing market don't you think that  maybe it is in Canon's interest to get this studio capability out as soon as possible?
So unless you can prove when Canon released it, or what testing is needed to make sure it all works as expected, with as few bugs as possible, and with no conflicts to other software, then maybe it is not as easy as you make out.

Doc

• http://www.52photos.com
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 04:38:31 am »

I admit I haven't tried this - so this is theoretical - but if you are using Lightroom CC - it allows for android  / tablet use.
Can you not tether your Camera to a Samsung tablet with Lightroom cc installed - use DSLR controller app for Android to grab the images - store them into a watched folder from Lightroom and just flick between the two ?

I'm using a 2014 10.1 Samsung Tablet with DSLR Controller and it works quite well - I do not have Lightroom CC so I cannot test this part.

Cheers.
Learning everyday !

JeffGardner

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 09:45:57 pm »

I was able to solve this.  Lightroom needs the code from Canon, but you can download it yourself and apply it to the Lightroom plugin.  I tested and used seccessfully on lrcc 2015.1

Should also work on other versions but I have not tried it.

Here are the instructions to apply the fix: http://jeffgardner.ca/Blog/?p=1023

Jeff

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 06:42:09 pm »

Personally, I've never been too enamoured with Lightroom Tethering. I've used Canon DPP and EOS Utility with my 5Ds recently. I also was glad to see that Chris Breeze updated his DSLRemote software to include support for the 5Ds. This is actually one of the most straight forward, easy to use, tethering software out there. I've used it with almost all my past 1D(s)-series bodies. One thing I life about it most is that I can do a test frame to preview my strobe lighting -- very useful for still-life. Most other tethering packages don't allow for this. They are most oriented toward continuous lighting than strobe. For my fashion work, tethering is a bit slow in any of these programs. for the short term, use DPP and EOS Utility for something free or try DSLRemote.
Pages: [1]   Go Up