Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photography Contest rights question  (Read 1997 times)

Colorado David

Photography Contest rights question
« on: July 25, 2015, 07:57:22 pm »

Does this reach too far?  My inclination is that it is over-reaching, but I've never entered a contest before.  This one is sponsored by a state agency.

I attest that the submitted photos are my original work, and were taken in the state of (state). I give (state agency) a royalty free, irrevocable, non-­‐exclusive, and perpetual license to use the photographs for advertising, promotional, or educational purpose.

rpkphoto

• Rodger Kingston
Re: Photography Contest rights question
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 11:21:11 pm »

While you're at it, you might also give them your first-born. That wouldn't be too much more outrageous than what they're already asking for. Seriously, that's way out of line.

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 11:30:58 pm »

If you enter that contest then kiss any of those entered images goodbye forever!

Tony Jay

amolitor

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 12:04:47 am »

The license is non exclusive, so the photos aren't gone.

I think this is pretty standard. Contests are rarely about rewarding artists, they're about collecting stock cheaply.

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 12:15:21 am »

The license is non exclusive, so the photos aren't gone.

I think this is pretty standard. Contests are rarely about rewarding artists, they're about collecting stock cheaply.
Yes, indeed - I missed the 'non' in the exclusive!

Tony Jay

Jimbo57

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 07:01:35 am »

Yes indeed - pretty well standard for all competitions run by commercial companies, charities, NGOs and governmental agencies.

You do not lose any rights but they get pretty well unfettered use of your photographs for their own purposes.

Why else would they run such competitions?

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 04:25:05 pm »

I usually only agree to those if I think I have a decent chance of winning a big prize. But like others said, you can still use the image and sell it, it's just that they can do whatever they want with it now and in the future.
-MattB

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 04:53:57 pm »

While you're at it, you might also give them your first-born. That wouldn't be too much more outrageous than what they're already asking for. Seriously, that's way out of line.

I disagree. Because the agreement is non-exclusive, the photographer can still display the image in shows and galleries, sell prints, sell the image to magazines, and so on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up