Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panoramas in LR6 - Vertical vs. horisontal shooting  (Read 4762 times)

Ken Nielsen

Panoramas in LR6 - Vertical vs. horisontal shooting
« on: July 25, 2015, 04:28:28 am »

Having watched the "Guide to Adobe LightroomCC/6" I noticed Jeff was recommending to shoot vertical for the purpose of stitching images into panoramas.
Is there any particular reason for this vs. shooting horisontical?
Appreciate if any can clarify.

Thanks in advance

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Panoramas in LR6 - Vertical vs. horisontal shooting
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 04:55:30 am »

Is there any particular reason for this vs. shooting horisontical?

Hi,

One benefit may be that you have enough vertical angle of view to do the pano in a single row, instead of multiple rows if just a little bit more than a single row is required. It then also allows to use a simpler/lighter/more stable pano rotation setup, which is nice when traveling, and the pano takes less time to shoot (may help to e.g. reduce cloud movement between tiles). A single row of course also requires fewer frames for the final stitch, and fewer frames also means less chance of ghosts in the overlaps.

There may be additional benefits, but they depend on the particular type of scene one is shooting.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Tony Jay

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 06:01:42 am »

Is there any particular reason for this vs. shooting horizontal?
Apart from Bart's suggestion shooting vertically makes it much easier for the software to do the stitch.

Tony Jay

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 06:25:03 am »

When you are doing a stitch, the degree of distortion (wide angle distortion) has a major impact on how well a stitch can be done. When shot in portrait (vertical) the lens distortion is up & down as apposed to side to side when shot horizontal. This impacts the nature of the stitch. The software is better able to contain (correct) the distortion.

Note, you still need to shoot "loose" to be able to end up with a suitable crop. For landscape photos I tend to use cylindrical  projection. But for any shots including buildings I tend to use perspective to correct vertical perspectives.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 08:09:25 am »

As a photographer who has stitched for years, and used most of the software, I am very pleased with the LR pano tool.  I will pan both vertical and horizontal and many times with a wider lens.  I used to worry about being nodal, but with landscapes I find that its just not that important.  Where as with a building or anything with "known" dimensions being nodal can be important.

At first I did not really give the LR stitching tool much attention, as I assumed it was the same as the tools in CC photoshop, which have not changed much since around CS5.  At least the results seem the same.  Instead LR seems to have some improvements in their algorithm as LR seems to be able to get stitching solutions that CC 2014 can't resolve.  LR carries forward the excellent blending ability of CC but it really does a great job on what I call difficult stitching solutions.  These are either shot with ultra wide in horizontal or images with a lot of intricate pattern like a suspension bridge.  I have not tried CC 2015 to see if their pano tool has also improved.

Of course the fact that you can stitch and create a dng, then continue to work on the image as a raw file is invaluable, something that none of the other software tools can do. 

I have no idea how well LR will handle multi row vertical stitches, and that still may be the domain for ptgui, but for single row, (so far up to 7 images vertical and 5 horizontal) LR does an excellent job indeed. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ken Nielsen

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 03:28:13 am »

Thanks for all the great answers.
Hope others will benefit from them as well.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 10:49:52 am »

The most basic reason for shooting vertically wasn't mentioned (or I missed it). That is, your vertical resolution is 30% greater with 4/3s and 50% greater with 3:2 aspect ratio cameras (APS and full frame). In other words, by shooting vertically (when panning horizontally) the long side of the frame becomes the vertical height of the image, not the short side, providing greater resolution.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 12:32:05 pm »

I've found the 2015CC Photoshop stitching better than the LR stitching, I especially like the "content aware" option in Photoshop. However as has been pointed out LR does create a pano in DNG format so you can continue to edit without the restrictions of tiff etc.

Paul
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

mdijb

• mdiimaging.com
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 10:46:46 pm »

I have merged panoramas shooting both ways and the result is different.  IMOP the horizontal looks closer to reality, and the vertical looks like the Rt and LT  have been squished towards the middle_- the results are definitely different.  Do the comparison and judge for yourself.  I seem to prefer the horizontal merge, even though it results in  smaller file-- but still big enough for large print considering that many files are used.

MDIJB
mdiimaging.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up