Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: G3X Review  (Read 36437 times)

John R

Re: G3X Review
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 02:28:10 pm »

I have the G1X. The sensor is far larger than on G3X, and the image quality is superb. However, it has it's drawbacks, much like the newer G3X. It has one second shutter lag and is slow to focus, and won't do close ups; and did I mention that the motorized zoom, eats batteries. But for what it is and does, it is an excellent camera that I keep in the car. The G2X also has a large sensor and slightly longer 24-120 mm lens. I guess Canon was not able to cover the focal range with such a large sensor and still keep the G3X small. I also had Nikon V1 original, which I really liked, manual zoom lenses, but again a shutter lag, and the files don't compare to APS factor cameras or the Canon G1X. Here is sample from my G1X, hand held. There is a lot to be said about "feeling free' when shooting handheld and that's what inspired to me to shoot my hallway. If I buy the new G3X, it will be for hikes and walks, and as a back up for the car and to loan out. I agree there may be trade-offs, but a one second shutter lag should not be one of them. Since Michael did not mention that as an issue, I guess it has been upgraded to something more acceptable.

https://johnroias.smugmug.com/Pictorials/i-2mw3ppS/0/L/Jan%203-2014%20House%20003%20smugcopy-L.jpg

JR
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 10:45:25 pm by John R »

Jonathan Cross

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 08:48:16 am »

So Jens Peermann is like me, looking to lighten the load.  I love my Canon G11 and keep it in the car.  It is so easy to use, and has an articulated screen.  For telephoto or challenging light, it is not so good.  I am spoilt by my Canon 5D Mk3 with L lenses, but time has moved on.  I am not sure I need full frame any more.  It now seems that APS-C sensors can be well into the 20MP+ range, and even 1" are up to 20MP.  Of course, though, light has to get through the lens first.

Comparing Canon and Fuji, my 70-200 f4 IS L Canon is 180grammes (over 6oz) heavier than my Fuji 55-200, and even heavier with the 1.4 extender.  I am happy with the 55-200, albeit with a body with 16MP, but have not done detailed pixel peeping.  Other Fuji lenses, especially primes, seem very good to me.  One reason is that the majority of my images are now viewed on an iPad or published in a magazine at a maximum of 9 inches on the long side so I do not need loads of pixels except if I need to crop.

The upshot of this is that I read Michael's review with great interest, but in the respect of lightening the load (as others also want to do) I am looking for comments on lens & camera body weight and IQ, to minimise the former and maximise the latter.

Jonathan
Jonathan in UK

michael

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 10:50:57 am »

It's tough to answer the type of questions that people here are asking; such as regarding weight, speed of AF, etc.

Many of these are highly subjective.

My suggestion is that if you're really interested in a camera like the G3X, order from a company with a liberal return policy. Try it for a day or two and see if it meets your needs.

Charts and graphs won't tell you if a camera is right for you, and neither is one man's opinion (in this case, mine).

Michael

Girts

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 01:15:42 pm »

Hi everyone,

I've just joined, so please forgive me if I ask a question that's already been asked in another place or say something that's out of turn. I try to behave when I'm in public!

Like many others here, I've been looking to lighten the load when I'm out and about, when I'm not doing a commissioned shoot (architectural photography). I've always thought a compact digital camera with a seriously long zoom would be a good idea - great for abstracts and off the cuff images for our book cover image library as well. So your review of this camera was wonderfully timed and obviously written by a brother soul! Your words and assessment tipped me into buying one a couple of days ago.
I took it for its first walk yesterday and love it - the zoom is fantastic as is the IS. It was a tad draughty where we were, but the IS performed far better than I could have reasonably expected - beautifully sharp images at 125 ISO!

However - and there's always a however - there is a problem. I'm one of those people who dislikes Windows and have settled on Linux for my PC operations. And there's the rub - the image processing software I use isn't recognising this new variant of CR2 though it's been happy with the format on my other cameras. So we tried it on my partner's PC - she uses Windows - and her copy of Lightroom doesn't recognise it either!

Calumet (the retailer) suggested I wait while Adobe get their act together, or shoot in jpeg. Not helpful, maybe, but pragmatic. So my question is, what did you guys use to process your RAW test images? Any suggestions? And please, don't say 'buy a Mac'!

Thanks,
Girts

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 09:24:47 pm »

Adobe DNG converter 9.1.1 handles Canon G3X files. After the conversion you can take it to an older version of LR or other software that recognizes DNG format.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 03:26:47 am »

Or you can use Canon's own DPP software that comes with the camera?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up