Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In the net  (Read 1184 times)

stamper

In the net
« on: July 24, 2015, 03:46:48 am »

Is this abstract?

Johnny_Johnson

Re: In the net
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 04:28:13 am »

Not to me but I do like the colors, shapes and textures.

Later,
Johnny

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 08:08:59 am »

I like the color and the composition, but I fear this shot may become boring quite quickly.
When I grow up I want to be a photographer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diegopig/

Otto Phocus

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 08:37:24 am »

Well it, of course, depends on how you define abstract.

From Wikipedia:  Abstract photography is a means of depicting a visual image that does not have an immediate association with the object world and that has been created through the use of photographic equipment, processes or materials.

Using this definition, no, your image is not abstract because I can see that it is an overlay of netting.

It is a very nice pleasing composition with complementary patterns and colors.  I kinda like this photograph.  But if you asking specifically if this is an abstract, I would have to say no.

Now, if there is another definition of abstract that you are using, we would have to know that definition before we can opine.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 10:37:44 am »

I pointed out other meanings of "abstract" in this post:  http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=100317.msg821965#msg821965

Otto Phocus

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 11:22:02 am »

Which is why so many threads devolve.  One can't have a logical discussion unless terms are defined and agreed upon.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 02:32:43 pm »

If one doesn't want to click on the link, I'll repeat here the most pertinent parts:

According to Dictionary.com, there are at least 14 different meanings, plus two idioms for the term "abstract."

Meaning #1 seems to be the closest to the one you and some others have in mind:

1. thought of apart from concrete realities, specific objects

The one Stamper might had in mind, however, is this one (note the reference to fine arts - emphasis mine):

5. Fine Arts.
of or relating to the formal aspect of art, emphasizing lines, colors, generalized or geometrical forms, etc., especially with reference to their relationship to one another.

Some other meanings are directly opposed to the notion that it "should be impossible, or at the very least difficult, to identify the subject matter." For instance, "abstract" also means (emphasis mine):

6. a summary of a text, scientific article, document, speech, etc.; epitome.
7. something that concentrates in itself the essential qualities of anything more extensive or more general, or of several things; essence.

In other words, the OP image would nicely fit meanings #5 and #7 of the term "abstract."
Pages: [1]   Go Up