Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Digital Backs be modified to fit other MF Cameras?  (Read 2608 times)

ron lacy

Can Digital Backs be modified to fit other MF Cameras?
« on: July 23, 2015, 09:12:53 pm »

I am sure this is a very basic question, but I have searched and can't find an answer.  Here is the question:

Can a Phase One or other manufacturers digital back be altered to fit on another MF camera?  In other words, can a digital back for a Mamiya be retrofit to work on a Hasselblad V body?  Again, I know this is probably well known to a lot of people, but I can't find the answer.

You input is appreciated.

Ron

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
Re: Can Digital Backs be modified to fit other MF Cameras?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 12:04:37 am »

I am sure this is a very basic question, but I have searched and can't find an answer.  Here is the question:

Can a Phase One or other manufacturers digital back be altered to fit on another MF camera?  In other words, can a digital back for a Mamiya be retrofit to work on a Hasselblad V body?  Again, I know this is probably well known to a lot of people, but I can't find the answer.

You input is appreciated.

Ron

Yes, if it's current. Actually it is not modified, it is traded for the proper mount. i've been told by one Phase dealer that it costs $3000. Or if the back has a current Value Added Warranty, that comes with one mount swap included, so if it has not been used, it is a no-cost thing.

DAF
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog

ron lacy

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 10:23:56 am »

Thanks for the reply.  $3000 sounds like a lot of money to change mounts, but seems like everything related to MF digital backs is expensive.

Thanks again.
Ron

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 11:06:14 am »

Heads up, at least with Phase One,  they don't change the mount, the just send you a different back, with that mount.  It's always been that way. 

Lots of issues, IMO as no two backs are the same.  Some tile more than others, other have more microlens ripple etc.  Some are just cleaner than others in noise.

If you like your back i.e. the images it produces, I would be careful on getting the mount swapped. 

Paul

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Chris Livsey

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 11:59:42 am »

The Hasselblad CF backs were available with the i-adapter plates that were interchangeable with a wide range of bodies from other makers.
See page 5 of the .pdf for the list.
http://www.shriro.com.hk/downloads/files/Hasselblad_CF-39.pdf

That the adjustment of the sensor position at the point of focus is measured in not very many microns tolerance this approach seems no longer viable for consistent results. AFAIK some camera makers eg ALPA still supply shims to "correct" the placement. This why I presume Phase One does not physically change mounts but each unit is complete and fixed for its intended body. I understand they match as far as possible shot count on the exchange which may be why the free period is limited and presumably a full technical and physical check is required before issue.

AlterEgo

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 12:14:17 pm »

Heads up, at least with Phase One,  they don't change the mount, the just send you a different back, with that mount.  It's always been that way. 

Lots of issues, IMO as no two backs are the same.  Some tile more than others, other have more microlens ripple etc.  Some are just cleaner than others in noise.

If you like your back i.e. the images it produces, I would be careful on getting the mount swapped. 

Paul

so they might send you a better back than you had before then ? why an assumption that the replaced one will be worse ?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 12:31:19 pm »

so they might send you a better back than you had before then ? why an assumption that the replaced one will be worse ?

Because things don't tend to work that way, sure you might get lucky.  To me if the back is working, is calibrated, has nominal issues with tiling and micro lens ripple (I realize later two mainly apply to tech camera glass), it's not worth it.  I have been on the other side, i.e. getting a good back, screwed up by Phase One and then having to fight with them for 2 months to get it fixed.  That's not worth it for sure. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

ron lacy

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 12:49:45 pm »

Thanks for all of the input.  Here is my takeaway from the replies.  It is better to buy a back that fits your camera body than to trade it in for a back that does fit your camera.  Two reasons, cost and the possibility of getting a back that is not adjusted properly for your camera.

Thanks again.

Ron

yashima

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 04:00:10 pm »

I never tried this but it could work in some special circumstances.

Contax backs for example are exceedingly rare and command quite a bit more money than other mounts in the second hand market, especially the higher end ones. For higher end backs, it might be worth it to buy a Mamiya fit back and pay to change to Contax mount.

landscapephoto

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 04:35:02 pm »

The Hasselblad CF backs were available with the i-adapter plates that were interchangeable with a wide range of bodies from other makers.

This was also the case for other manufacturers, Sinar for example.

That the adjustment of the sensor position at the point of focus is measured in not very many microns tolerance this approach seems no longer viable for consistent results.

I don't see why that would be the case. All removable backs have a mechanical interface which must be machined to the same level of accuracy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up