Poll

As straight dSLRs - no tethering, central shutter, or C1/LR comparison.

XF 250C is better
- 11 (25.6%)
Pentax 645Z
- 28 (65.1%)
Substantially the same
- 4 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: As straight MF SLRs which is better - Phase XF IQ2/3/50 or Pentax 645Z?  (Read 42745 times)

Joe Towner

Phase would counter that the IQ2/3 have a detachable screen - iOS app on a device.  The Z has a nice articulating screen - one that Canon would do better to mimic, rather than the spin and twist style of their consumer screens.

The current level of interaction between brands and their users is severely lacking.  I had a CPS membership for a few years, only time I heard from them was renewal time, and about 4 months after I let it expire.  Technology is such that there should be more back and forth - I don't see it currently happening.
t: @PNWMF

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram

Phase would counter that the IQ2/3 have a detachable screen - iOS app on a device.  The Z has a nice articulating screen - one that Canon would do better to mimic, rather than the spin and twist style of their consumer screens.

The current level of interaction between brands and their users is severely lacking.  I had a CPS membership for a few years, only time I heard from them was renewal time, and about 4 months after I let it expire.  Technology is such that there should be more back and forth - I don't see it currently happening.

Joe,

Video shooters often stand on the side next to, or even below a high-mounted video camera on a tripod. That's why video shooters love these contortionist screens, and why Sony never provide them on their still cameras, as another way of crippling them.

Edmund
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 06:21:38 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

Joe,

Video shooters often stand on the side next to, or even below a high-mounted video camera on a tripod. That's why video shooter love these contortionist screens, and why Sony etc never provide them on their still cameras, as another way of crippling them.

Edmund

+1. But we are getting off topic.

I want to see more on the 80MP CMOS Hasselblad.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Peter Devos

we will have to wait a couple of weeks ....

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

If this is real back this is IMO a huge announcement that totally slipped under the radar. I have to assume it's also full frame.

Looking forward to reading more on this.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

eronald

Phase would counter that the IQ2/3 have a detachable screen - iOS app on a device.  The Z has a nice articulating screen - one that Canon would do better to mimic, rather than the spin and twist style of their consumer screens.

The current level of interaction between brands and their users is severely lacking.  I had a CPS membership for a few years, only time I heard from them was renewal time, and about 4 months after I let it expire.  Technology is such that there should be more back and forth - I don't see it currently happening.

It is an interesting situation: The major brands are japanese, and the japanese very strongly believe in listening to their customers, domestic or foreign. However their sales personnel in the large foreign markets are themselves not japanese, and therefore do not directly participate in any design decision process, nor can they make the votes of their own customers count in any meaningful way.

Edmund
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 07:27:16 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com

Peter, where did you find out? It gives me the goose bumps!
Because eventually Pentax (I believe) will come with its own body version equipped with this sensor at one third the price.
If this sensor is Sony made, it will surely happen.
It will mark the end of my absence from MF for 12 long years.
Am I seeing the light at the end of tunnel?
Eduardo

« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 11:55:07 pm by uaiomex »

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com

I would rather have the fully articulating screen than the only-tilt one.
The latter one is less awkward to use in landscape orientation, but when you wish to use the camera for portrait orientation this advantage becomes a disadvantage.
Maybe for video guys is perfect but I am a photographer and I love the vertical format.
Eduardo

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:08:49 am by uaiomex »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/

And things will get more complicated now that Hasselblad comes with their new H6d-80mp with Cmos sensor..... interesting times......

Really?

It will be interesting to see where this sensor is sourced from. It's unlikely to be coming from Sony, which probably leaves CMOSIS?

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:50:28 am by BernardLanguillier »

eronald

I would rather have the fully articulating screen than the only-tilt one.
The latter one is less awkward to use in landscape orientation, but when you wish to use the camera for portrait orientation this advantage becomes a disadvantage.
Maybe for video guys is perfect but I am a photographer and I love the vertical format.
Eduardo

Video guys also like the fully articulated screens AFAIK.
Btw vertical video is considered a heresy by many, but it is becoming popular thanks to cellphones and in-store displays.

Edmund

Manoli

If this is real back this is IMO a huge announcement that totally slipped under the radar.

Well, Michael Reichmann posted that he's " .. on vacation on Prince Edward Island this week and shooting with the G3X along with a new pre-production medium format camera, which I won't name."

eronald

+1. But we are getting off topic.

I want to see more on the 80MP CMOS Hasselblad.

Paul

Surely we all agree that size matters :)
So, if this is not a Sony sensor, then it will doubtless precipitate the release of a larger version of the Sony sensor.
Which will probably mean a lower price for the IQ250C as the market cannot bear a $50K camera.
And possibly an even lower price of the Pentax 645Z. The natural price for the Z would seem to be about 2x of the Sony FF35.

Edmund
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:08:36 am by eronald »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

Surely we all agree that size matters :)
So, if this is not a Sony sensor, then it will doubtless precipitate the release of a larger version of the Sony sensor.
Which will probably mean a lower price for the IQ250C as the market cannot bear a $50K camera.
And possibly an even lower price of the Pentax 645Z. The natural price for the Z would seem to be about 2x of the Sony FF35.

Edmund

I guess this topic, that of a possible 80MP CMOS HB back, needs a new topic.  All I have been told on the future for Phase One CMOS full frame is 1 year out and late next year. 

If Hasselblad has such a back, i.e. a 80MP CMOS, they will have a pretty good jump over their competition, for at least a year.

Personally, as a Phase One user, not planning to move, I will be a bit shocked, but will definitely take my hat off to Hasselblad if they can deliver such a back before late 2016, in fact in the next 2 weeks? 

Edmund, this part does go back to your original topic, as this new back, if it's only a Hasselblad implementation, but most surely not work with C1, and for me C1 is a must have. 

But like you point out, it might put some pricing pressure on others.

I still have to wonder if it's only a 80MP CCD from Hasselblad, i.e. a follow up to the IQ380.  It's my understanding that the lock Phase One had on the Dalsa chips that have the 1 hour exposure time in CCD has expired and now other companies can use this tech. 

My bet is that this is what the new HB back is, their version of the IQ380 and CCD. but time will tell.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Gel

At a guess though, if Hassy had a full frame 80mp Cmos then so would everyone else too.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

At a guess though, if Hassy had a full frame 80mp Cmos then so would everyone else too.

That's what logically makes sense.  So if they do come out of a 80MP CMOS, they will have a real Kudo!

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Gel

That's what logically makes sense.  So if they do come out of a 80MP CMOS, they will have a real Kudo!

Paul

*Hugs his Pentax Glass*
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up