Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red Artifact  (Read 1157 times)

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
Red Artifact
« on: July 23, 2015, 01:23:31 pm »

So this has been an occasional problem from the start.  When shooting night photography I sometimes get a red hue on the bottom of the photograph.  Any ideas on cause or fixes?  I'm about ready to just sell this d810 and replace it with a new one... maybe I just got a copy with some annoying traits.  I don't really have time to have Nikon "diagnose" the problem...

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 01:25:50 pm by maddogmurph »
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

spidermike

Re: Red Artifact
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 01:29:34 pm »

So this has been an occasional problem from the start.  When shooting night photography I sometimes get a red hue on the bottom of the photograph.  Any ideas on cause or fixes?  I'm about ready to just sell this d810 and replace it with a new one... maybe I just got a copy with some annoying traits.  I don't really have time to have Nikon "diagnose" the problem...

Have you done any shadow recovery?

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 03:49:19 am »

So this has been an occasional problem from the start.  

Could you post some other example and tell us how the camera was phisically placed?
It may be a light leak from somewhere like the lens release button(like the Sony A7 light leak).
When I grow up I want to be a photographer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diegopig/

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 04:50:32 am »

So this has been an occasional problem from the start.  When shooting night photography I sometimes get a red hue on the bottom of the photograph.  Any ideas on cause or fixes?  I'm about ready to just sell this d810 and replace it with a new one... maybe I just got a copy with some annoying traits.  I don't really have time to have Nikon "diagnose" the problem...

Hi,

Not sure what to look at, and I do not know if it always occurs in the same place of the image, and how it would look on an image with little detail, or by just covering the lens and using the same exposure time you would otherwise. It may be 'Amp glow', the signal from a long exposure that's caused by the increased temperature of an amplifier or from the LCD or other component. 'Amp glow' is a common issue with very long exposure times and low signal levels from the scene, and often occurs in a corner of the image (but that depends on the camera's construction and location of the electronics).

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 05:57:06 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Arlen

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 04:58:25 pm »

MDM, you seem to be having a recurring pattern on longer exposures that suggests the possibility of a light leak. Check my reply to your purple problem post for suggestions on confirming or eliminating that possibility. Let us know what you find out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up