Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No varnish canvas?  (Read 2663 times)

arlon

• Pbase account
No varnish canvas?
« on: July 22, 2015, 07:46:27 pm »

Has anyone tried the Breathing color 17M canvas that they advertise as not needing varnish? I'd like to try it but just a little hesitant. Love to hear at least a few reviews on it..
I'm printing on IPF6400.
Honey, did you bring an extra battery?

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: No varnish canvas?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 11:14:57 am »

Has anyone tried the Breathing color 17M canvas that they advertise as not needing varnish? I'd like to try it but just a little hesitant. Love to hear at least a few reviews on it..

Be still my heart! No varnish? Wouldn't that be great (I am in the middle of varnish issues at the moment). But if I may make a suggestion, perhaps YOU can be the reviewer! Tell me all about it.

Miles

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 04:30:28 pm »

I tried a sample roll some time ago although I think they had a different name for it at that time.  Prints actually looked quite good, surprisingly good.  I don't think they specify any longevity claims so you may want to keep that in mind, but if I wanted to put a recent photo on the wall with the expectation that it would only be for a few years, I wouldn't hesitate to use this. :)

arlon

• Pbase account
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 06:23:09 pm »

Thanks Miles, that's about exactly what I'm looking for. I don't need the prints I plan for this to last more than a few years, if that. If I don't find anyone that has horrible experience with it, I'll probably try some.
Honey, did you bring an extra battery?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 10:44:58 pm »

I use their Crystalline for most of my work now. 17M seems to be a lighter blend this a bit cheaper in cost. Personally I like the results from Crystalline and have not had any problems since their mid 2013 lots. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

printbreakr

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 01:29:01 pm »

I know Epson's instructions for their Satin and Gloss canvases say a varnish is not required: https://www.epson.com/_alfresco/proimaging/media/EPSON_Exhibition_Canvas_Printing_and_Finishing_Guidelines.pdf

They do say you need to varnish the matte canvas.

I've never tired anything but the matte so I can't comment if it's true.
Pages: [1]   Go Up