Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Metallic Paper Recommendations  (Read 5585 times)

mattmikulla

Metallic Paper Recommendations
« on: July 22, 2015, 06:39:43 pm »

Hey folks. I looking to begin to experiment with some metallic papers for exhibition prints.

I noticed Moab has a pearl and silver but couldn't find much out there describing the difference visually and physically.

Are there any other papers I should look out for? If so which and why?

Also, I'm particularly interested in how some of these papers behave visually behind glass when framed.

Any insights or comments appreciated.

One more think. I will be using Epson printers. Currently the R3000 but looking into the new series coming out.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 06:41:52 pm by mattmikulla »

Some Guy

Re: Metallic Paper Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 06:59:18 pm »

Imho, most all of the metallics I've bought have a glossy sheen, even the pearl metallics.  The only one I found that has a duller satin, with a bit of a texture to the surface, is the Inkpress Satin.  You really need to source some sample packs to try them out out.  Descriptions from all the sundry companies selling it are very misleading at times as to what they call glossy, satin, luster, pearl, etc.

SG

aaronchan

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 03:56:40 am »

a quick reminder, metallic paper looks much better when you use dye ink based printer
R3000 is a pigment based printer

aaron

John Caldwell

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 09:53:34 pm »

I've been using metallics with our Epson 900 series machines for a few years. The proper image paired with metallic is quite nice really. There is little difference, in my mind, between the Slickrock, RR Polar and BC Metallic. Atlex has some very odd glittery metallic papers that you might try to be thorough, but I can't see the Atlex glitter metallics papers for photographs. Most of my work is on rolls of the BC Metallic, and the prints are either behind glass or are laminated on Gator Foam. While not a "serious Fine art medium" I enjoy the metallics with the right image content.

It's been rumored that *all* the metallic papers are made by the same mill and are, in fact, the same surface. Cant speak to that.

John Caldwell

nihil

• http://erlendmork.com
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 08:22:03 am »

It's been rumored that *all* the metallic papers are made by the same mill and are, in fact, the same surface. Cant speak to that.
I don't know about that, but there's at least a variation in surfaces. I have here the Breathing Color Metallic which is glossy, and the Permajet Titanium Lustre which has a lustre/semigloss surface. I much prefer the last one.
http://www.breathingcolor.com/action/bc_shop/223/
https://www.permajet.com/ProductGrp/PermaJet-Titanium-Lustre-Metallic-Photo-Paper-280gsm
Erlend Mørk
[url=http://www.erlendmork.c

Some Guy

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 10:21:10 am »

I don't know about that, but there's at least a variation in surfaces. I have here the Breathing Color Metallic which is glossy, and the Permajet Titanium Lustre which has a lustre/semigloss surface. I much prefer the last one.
http://www.breathingcolor.com/action/bc_shop/223/
https://www.permajet.com/ProductGrp/PermaJet-Titanium-Lustre-Metallic-Photo-Paper-280gsm

Thanks!

I need to look into the PermaJet Titanium paper.  Sounds interesting.

I haven't been impressed with BC products since I've had bad experiences with their strong edge curl and head strikes which may have busted my carriage.

SG

John Caldwell

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 12:00:04 am »

The Permajet paper looks interesting. I wonder if it's available in the US.

Breathing Color's metallic is thin stock, and it exhibits little forward curl - and no reverse curl. It's an easy to deal with material, so I would not let the prior bad experience with head and carriage crashes with thick BC color papers worry you here.

John Caldwell

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 10:01:17 am »

Epson has both glossy and luster metallic. I use them both depending upon the subject.

For some b&w with nice half tones and quarter tones, the images pop unlike conventional papers. I really like them for printing of sacred iconography which I document. Icons with gold really glow with this paper!

I prefer using my 9900 for printing but also use a 3880. The canned Epson profiles are fine, but I know I will need to make my own to keep the images closer to my other profiles since it doesn't quite match my palate. However, nobody in he real world would ever know or see this difference since I would never put a metallic print next to the same image on luster for another conventional surface!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Some Guy

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 10:13:37 am »

The Permajet paper looks interesting. I wonder if it's available in the US.
John Caldwell

From the PermaJet website, you can find a USA dealer in their search in the upper toolbar (Where to buy or something like that.).  They show one on the West coast and two in the South-East.  Oddly, all three show only one size available (A3 25 sheets for $65) and the same quantity in stock (4) and all three look the same in layout so it must be generated from their mothership perhaps.

I might try in in a couple of months after I figure out how to mix up a batch of K7 piezo-similar inks using Claria dye and a clear ink base now that I found a supplier for 500ml each that should fill 7 carts after I figure out the blend densities - and maybe some Claria color dye additive to knock down the yellow of the lightest shades of the K7 Selenium too which I cannot stand (I think it is in there to combat the bluish OB in some papers, but on metallics and some glossies it's yuck!).  Cone's idea of Selenium doesn't match my color idea of what and why I used it to cool photo papers down.  Time to play chemist...

SG

howardm

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 10:43:22 am »

I just measured some current Moab Slickrock Pearl and it's a consistent 0.27mm

Jglaser757

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 07:53:35 pm »

I used moabs metallic, epsons metallic, and both are very very sensitive to scratching. If you breathe on them , they will scratch!

rdonson

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 03:11:46 pm »

Has anyone tried RedRiver Polar Pearl Metallic???  It seems quite close to the Moab SilverRock Metallic Pearl.
Regards,
Ron

cortlander

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 04:14:53 pm »

Has anyone tried RedRiver Polar Pearl Metallic???  It seems quite close to the Moab SilverRock Metallic Pearl.

I do use them for HDR shots, HDR Panos, as well as B&W (ABW on Epson P800). They are very satisfying to my eyes.
cortlander

tektrader

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 04:18:17 pm »

I have been using the RR pearl for about a year. I can only compare it to the Fuji flex metalic I used to use on another machine and it really isn't that great.

In my opinion any of the Pearl are not that great and I haven't actually managed to find a true metallic that works with pigment inks. 

Any suggestion of a true metallic paper that looks awesome with Pigment ink would be well received.

disneytoy

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 04:22:18 pm »

I got some samples, but found at least for the glossy (which I find essential) that it is VERY susceptible to micro scratches.
Pages: [1]   Go Up