Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get around in Hong Kong - shooting outside the city area  (Read 22001 times)

shadowblade

I'm considering spending a few days shooting in Hong Kong in a fortnight's time and have been playing around with Google Earth and TPE to find some perspectives for landscape/cityscape shots. I like the following perspective for a sunrise shot over Po Toi O, near Clearwater Bay (facing roughly northeast, so sun will be rising in the background in August) but am at a loss as to how to actually get there for the sunrise and what to tell the taxi driver - and, just as importantly, how to get back once I'm done shooting (presumably the taxi won't want to wait there for an hour while I'm shooting).

I don't want to go to Po Toi O itself, but need to be on a hillside overlooking it on the other side of the bay, as per the map.

Any ideas on how to get there (from locals, or others familiar with the place)?

Jimbo57

Re: How to get around in Hong Kong - shooting outside the city area
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 02:28:49 pm »

Hong Kong taxis are cheap and will happily wait for an hour.

But - check that you are not asking them to leave Hong Kong itself. Although it is part of China now, they still drive on the correct side of the road, UK-style, while the rest of China drives on the right. Also vehicle tax is separate and I don't know if HK taxis are permitted to ply their trade outside of the "Special Administrative Region".

shadowblade

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 05:16:51 am »

Hong Kong taxis are cheap and will happily wait for an hour.

But - check that you are not asking them to leave Hong Kong itself. Although it is part of China now, they still drive on the correct side of the road, UK-style, while the rest of China drives on the right. Also vehicle tax is separate and I don't know if HK taxis are permitted to ply their trade outside of the "Special Administrative Region".

It's within Hong Kong - from what I can tell, it's part of the New Territories. Not sure what to tell the taxi driver though, since the location I'd be shooting from isn't a building or a landmark and doesn't even have an address. As far as I can tell, it's part of the Junk Peak trail, but I'm not sure if the taxi driver would know where to go if I said, 'Take me to the far end of the Junk Peak trail' at 4.30am...

Jimbo57

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 05:56:23 am »

OK - I see the potential problem.

So why not rent a car and drive yourself?

http://www.avis.com.hk/   (many others are available)

Tony B.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 03:04:10 pm »

I think your hotel would be able to call a taxi and arrange everything.
But, I would take multiple google map prints at different zoom levels to show taxi driver as google maps has english/chinese wording.
Also, maybe staying in a hotel in the Kowloon East area would make it easier.

shadowblade

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 09:30:31 am »

I think your hotel would be able to call a taxi and arrange everything.
But, I would take multiple google map prints at different zoom levels to show taxi driver as google maps has english/chinese wording.
Also, maybe staying in a hotel in the Kowloon East area would make it easier.

I'm staying on Hong Kong island, since I have quite a few shots planned from various locations there. But it's not like it's too hard to get from one to the other...

drmarkf

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 07:39:12 am »

Be prepared these days for ghastly yellowish smog. Can look OK in B&W conversions, but getting the lovely clear landscape shots I got 30 years ago is bedevilled these days with aerial rubbish blowing in from the factories in Shenzen.

I don't know if you've been there before, but it's just a little bit warm and humid at this time of year so an a/c taxi or hire car would be good!

shadowblade

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 11:11:29 am »

Be prepared these days for ghastly yellowish smog. Can look OK in B&W conversions, but getting the lovely clear landscape shots I got 30 years ago is bedevilled these days with aerial rubbish blowing in from the factories in Shenzen.

I don't know if you've been there before, but it's just a little bit warm and humid at this time of year so an a/c taxi or hire car would be good!

The forecast is for wind blowing from between SSW and E (i.e. from the sea) so, hopefully, that will blow the smog away rather than over the city.

shadowblade

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 08:46:15 pm »

Got the shot. It was an extremely challenging shoot on many levels - will post details once I get home and process it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up