Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ¿ Why so much anonimity ... ?  (Read 6178 times)

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
¿ Why so much anonimity ... ?
« on: July 21, 2015, 02:34:58 pm »

... in the profiles of many members in this forum ...

Hi,

I have always wondered why there is so poor information in many of the profiles.

Also when posting messages just a few say Hi or Hello at start and even less sign the messages with their real name.

I think sometimes it is good to know with whom we are talking (real name), the age of the person we are talking too, where he lives, etc.

Has this virtual world made us so poor of curiosity about anything ?

Where to has driven us this anonymous posting ?

Why do we need to hide ourselves behind a made up name ? Our parents for sure were debating for months how to name the newborn girl or boy  ::)

Just having a moment of loneliness  ;D

Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Re: ¿ Why so much anonimity ... ?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 03:33:36 pm »

... Wow, I must admit that I have seemed surprised by your patronising replies in the past...

"Why surprised? I worked hard to build a reputation on that"

From a previous post…

"I have always wondered why there is so poor information in many of the profiles.", yes that is why!

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 04:06:50 pm »

... Wow, I must admit that I have seemed surprised by your patronising replies in the past...

From a previous post…

"I have always wondered why there is so poor information in many of the profiles.", yes that is why!

Cheers,

Thanks a lot Tom for your answer,

Will take a look at my past answers and past postings.

Now perhaps as an excuse, English is not my native language and perhaps thinking with a bit of German 50% and a bit of Mexican 50% mentality what I write after read by other people sounds patronizing as you wrote.

Sorry for that, will try to change my writing style. Never wanted to sound condescend when anwsering to any post.

Again apologies  :-[
 I am here for

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 04:32:13 pm »

As a recent ID theft victim I have good reason to not divulge too much info like date of birth, where I was born, where I grew up, etc.

I think a more accurate and telling way to know about someone is to view their previous postings. Using your real name is all that's necessary to find out about someone in a Google search. I use my real name. Others don't. I don't know why.

I've been online since 1999 and it didn't make one bit of difference whether someone knew about me or didn't through profile info. They were only interested in derived from any given topic of discussion.

Accolades, degrees, awards don't seem to influence anyone online either. Marketing hacks abound and are getting more clever in how they come across socially in order to hide their intentions so profile info could be made up or genuine. It's impossible to prove, anyway.

I believe many haven't realized yet the true nature and purpose of the internet. IMO it is not a good way to socialize in order to establish long term relationships of any level of deep meaning. Over 10 years online and not one person has given any indication of wanting to go any further than just discussing topical subjects so I don't see any point of posting personal information on one's self if all it does is lead to exposure to predators.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 04:46:37 pm »

... Will take a look at my past answers and past postings.
... perhaps ... what I write after read by other people sounds patronizing as you wrote.

Sorry for that, will try to change my writing style. Never wanted to sound condescend when anwsering to any post.

Again apologies  :-[

Gee, Rainer, relax! Tom was not talking about you, but about me.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 04:49:52 pm »

Some people believe transparency when posting is important, some don't. Some of the biggest trolls and idiots on some forums are hiding behind an alias. In fact one famous troll on DP Review, the cesspool of bad behavior, has been banned a number of times, he just comes back and logs in as another alias. I don't really think providing just a real name, maybe where you live and maybe a web page if you desire is going to be an issue with your own security.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 04:50:11 pm »

... yes that is why!

What do you mean by "...that is why"? What is the connection between what I said and "poor information in many of the profiles"?

By the way, you omitted a smiley that I had in my original posting.

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 04:56:51 pm »

Jisos,  ;D

Again I opened a Can of Worms

I am here for

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 05:00:46 pm »

Gee, Rainer, relax! Tom was not talking about you, but about me.

I am here for

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 10:39:41 pm »

I think sometimes it is good to know with whom we are talking (real name), the age of the person we are talking too, where he lives, etc.

Jeff Schewe
Chicago

I don't hide but I draw the line on waist size...

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 10:41:55 pm »

I don't hide but I draw the line on waist size...
I don't hide either, but I draw the line on anything below the waist  ::)
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 10:47:42 pm »

I have always wondered why there is so poor information in many of the profiles.

In over nine hundred posts I have tried to be a positive influence in LuLa. There are those that don't get that this is a global website. Posting has its perils!

Cheers,

Tom Brown

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 01:34:47 am »

I guess that as a working photo pros, some may not want some of their paying clients to know what they think on some topics.

Others are concerned about sharing too much personal info on a public forum.

Others just enjoy the ability to behave like kids and let go of their stress without having to deal with the negative impact on their image. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

spidermike

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 02:56:41 am »

I guess that as a working photo pros, some may not want some of their paying clients to know what they think on some topics.

Others are concerned about sharing too much personal info on a public forum.

Others just enjoy the ability to behave like kids and let go of their stress without having to deal with the negative impact on their image. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

+1

stamper

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 04:12:48 am »

This topic has been discussed a few times. The point I would make is if someone uses their real name and divulges personal information then how does anyone know that it is really their real name and the personal information is really true. Some members maybe known personally to each other but they will be a very small minority. To sum up this is a futile thread. :(

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 04:48:17 am »

This topic has been discussed a few times. The point I would make is if someone uses their real name and divulges personal information then how does anyone know that it is really their real name and the personal information is really true.

Google is your friend then...use your real name and everybody can know your business...hide behind a pseudonym then you shield your business..but, those that want to shield their business are are immediately suspect...and other users immediately suspect alternative motives (which is entirely fair).

Come clean or hide...you will end up being caught out-eventually. You can't hide forever...

Jimbo57

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2015, 05:32:38 am »

How do you know that those who purport to use "real names" and provide "real details" are not presenting totally false identities anyway?

Jimbo57 (Yes - my real name is James and I was born in 1957)

Tony Jay

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 05:37:37 am »

I think Schewe's point is that, over time, if you are putting it on, you will eventually betray this fact.
Better just to be who you are....

Tony Jay

Otto Phocus

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 08:12:01 am »

I judge a person's post on the content of the post.  Their profile is unimportant to me.  I rarely even look at profiles.

Someone can have multiple degrees, 50 years of experience, and an intergalactic reputation... but if their post sucks, it sucks.
Conversely, an unknown person can make a well thought out logical post that makes sense... should I disregard their post because they chose not to fill out a profile?

This is not a dating site.  I don't really care what your home town is or whether you like long walks along beaches and unicorns.

As for anonymity?  Unfortunately, that has been a tradition on the Internets Tubes from the very start and that Genie is to be hard to put back in the bottle.  On one hand I think that more transparency on the Internets Tubes would benefit the community.  On the other hand, people like to compartment their lives on the various social media sites. On the other hand (three hands?) it is difficult for site owners to verify the identity of their members and not a lot of potential members are willing to hand over copies of ID to strangers.

Since I am clearly anatomically challenged, on yet another hand, does it really make a difference?  All anyone is doing here is posting their opinions and opinions are like farts... ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2015, 08:59:08 am »

Hi,

Thanks everybody for participating and the info posted in here ;D

I am here for
Pages: [1]   Go Up