Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OS X 10.11  (Read 7749 times)

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
OS X 10.11
« on: July 21, 2015, 01:14:15 pm »

Anybody running the Beta version of OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)?  It supposedly includes significant performance improvements, including faster context-switching between applications and a new API (which I suspect Adobe and Phase One are already programming to) that provides better access to high-performance graphics processors.  I'm trying to decide whether it's worth the effort to set up another boot device so I can test it myself.

David S

Re: OS X 10.11
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 08:01:03 am »

I would suspect that the current early test versions are not set for speed and, personally, would wait a couple of months before setting up a test disk.

Dave S

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 08:41:56 am »

If some things are optimized it will be Apple own programs...
Apple nowadays makes profit beyond believe, but fails to produce a rock solid system... since 10.6
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Chris Kern

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 08:48:16 am »

I would suspect that the current early test versions are not set for speed and, personally, would wait a couple of months before setting up a test disk.

The new graphics API has been available since the first public developer Beta about six weeks ago, seems to be fully documented, and includes sample code.  I presume the kernel changes have also been available since then: it's hard to imagine Apple shipping an OS release to everyone registered in its developer program if the kernel wasn't stable.  There have now been four developer releases; I think the end-user Beta tracks the third one.  Apple tends to release major OS X revs in pairs.  The first introduces major changes in features and the second provides performance enhancements.  The kind of performance tweaking I think you're referring to usually comes in the minor releases that follow both types of major release, and tends to be more in the nature of fixing bugs than making significant modifications to the code base.

Given the apparently spotty performance of Lightroom CC/6 with GPU acceleration, I would be surprised if Adobe wasn't at least looking at the new Apple API.  I would think the same would go for Phase One.

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 11:04:22 pm »

I'm running it on my MacPro 6,1. It boots up faster but I have not noticed any speed increases with the Adobe software.
Gerald J Skrocki

Chris Kern

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 12:52:52 pm »

I'm running it on my MacPro 6,1. It boots up faster but I have not noticed any speed increases with the Adobe software.

Hopefully. we'll see some improvements in the performance of the Adobe products toward the end of the year, shortly after the 10.11 release.

Are you running it on a separate partition of a drive?  On its own drive?  As the (gulp) only OS on the machine?

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 07:55:20 pm »

I'm running it as the only OS on this machine but I have another (older) MacPro and a Wacom Cintiq Companion that runs Windows 8.1.
Gerald J Skrocki
Pages: [1]   Go Up