Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Street photography & long lenses  (Read 23973 times)

Tim Lookingbill

Re: Street photography & long lenses
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 10:07:09 pm »

I'm having fun shooting with my Sigma 70-300mm at my local park that has a high look out hilltop point. I'll pan around on the opposite descending side of the hill and capture folks enjoying the view on the opposite side.

People are interspersed in separate groups forming mini dioramas with their own somewhat out of focus backdrop that seems out of place and off kilter considering it's on top of a hill around this area. With just a slight pan, zoom in/zoom out I keep coming across interesting compositions from the telephoto compression effect.

stamper

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 03:41:48 am »

For me, context is all-important in street.  When you shoot long lenses, you lose the context, IMO.

I see where you are coming from. Did you read Michael's recent article on shooting landscapes with a long lens? He, and others, seemed to have shot landscapes with the tele end of the lens and still managed to shoot in context. It all depends on how far away you are? Does someone want to be part of the action and thus get close in or stand back and be more of a spectator?

Lightsmith

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2015, 07:26:01 pm »

A lot depends on how comfortable the photographer is in approaching people and the perspective they want for their images. People have historically used the 50mm lens as it was the easiest focal length to use with rangefinder cameras like the Leicas and it carried over to SLR film cameras where the f1.4 speed helped when common film emulsions were ASA 400 or slower. Quality autofocus zoom lenses also did not exist, with a few rare exceptions, and so this forced people to use prime lenses.

Completely different situation today with f2.8 zooms and ISO 6400 DSLR cameras but there is still a belief that a serious photographer will only use prime lenses on the part of non-pro photographers. On the other hand a lens like the 70-200mm is large and conspicuous and it is going to limit your street photography as a result.

There are multiple elements affected by the focal length of a lens and this includes image magnification, image size as percent of viewfinder/sensor, compression, and field of view. Compression and reduced field of view are two reasons for going with a long telephoto lens and this can make for more flattering pictures of people without requiring much thought on the part of the photographer.

Personally I find that the area in a scene that captures my attention is best expressed or captured with a 105mm lens. It provides the image size I want with double the camera to subject distance of a 50mm lens. People have a personal space that varies by culture, age, gender, and their perception of the photographer. Get too close and people will tense up unconsciously and this shows in the pictures that are taken.

I also like the 105mm focal length on a full frame camera as I can use it both indoors and outside. Longer focal lengths are difficult to work with indoors and this includes indoor markets where I take pictures of vendors and shoppers. I don't have much working space and a longer lens would be much more restrictive.

Overall the lens I use for 85% of my people photographs is a 24-70mm f2.8 lens that provides the field of view options I want and is fast enough to use indoors and at night with more than enough light for the autofocus sensors to respond quickly and get shots in the moment(s).  The 24-105mm focal length range is even better but I have had problems in the past with low light autofocus with the f4 maximum aperture. With current cameras it might not be a problem and if I was a Canon shooter I would probably own one.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2015, 12:29:39 am »

Try one of these Right Angle Mirror...

I've used one years ago when I felt uncomfortable having people see me shoot them.

stamper

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2015, 03:36:41 am »

A lot depends on how comfortable the photographer is in approaching people and the perspective they want for their images. People have historically used the 50mm lens as it was the easiest focal length to use with rangefinder cameras like the Leicas and it carried over to SLR film cameras where the f1.4 speed helped when common film emulsions were ASA 400 or slower. Quality autofocus zoom lenses also did not exist, with a few rare exceptions, and so this forced people to use prime lenses.

Completely different situation today with f2.8 zooms and ISO 6400 DSLR cameras but there is still a belief that a serious photographer will only use prime lenses on the part of non-pro photographers. On the other hand a lens like the 70-200mm is large and conspicuous and it is going to limit your street photography as a result.

There are multiple elements affected by the focal length of a lens and this includes image magnification, image size as percent of viewfinder/sensor, compression, and field of view. Compression and reduced field of view are two reasons for going with a long telephoto lens and this can make for more flattering pictures of people without requiring much thought on the part of the photographer.

Personally I find that the area in a scene that captures my attention is best expressed or captured with a 105mm lens. It provides the image size I want with double the camera to subject distance of a 50mm lens. People have a personal space that varies by culture, age, gender, and their perception of the photographer. Get too close and people will tense up unconsciously and this shows in the pictures that are taken.

I also like the 105mm focal length on a full frame camera as I can use it both indoors and outside. Longer focal lengths are difficult to work with indoors and this includes indoor markets where I take pictures of vendors and shoppers. I don't have much working space and a longer lens would be much more restrictive.

Overall the lens I use for 85% of my people photographs is a 24-70mm f2.8 lens that provides the field of view options I want and is fast enough to use indoors and at night with more than enough light for the autofocus sensors to respond quickly and get shots in the moment(s).  The 24-105mm focal length range is even better but I have had problems in the past with low light autofocus with the f4 maximum aperture. With current cameras it might not be a problem and if I was a Canon shooter I would probably own one.

This is what I was wondering about. Why photographers started off using primes. Thanks for the information.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2015, 12:45:08 pm »

Compression and reduced field of view are two reasons for going with a long telephoto lens and this can make for more flattering pictures of people without requiring much thought on the part of the photographer.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the "without much thought" part of your opinion. The above posted shot took a lot of thought and time that included deciding on whether to squat or stand, step back or move in closer, all while slowly panning side to side while constantly adjusting focal length and focus. Any slight move up/down/side to side lost the composition. When the subject moved there was another composition just waiting to be had by slowly panning to keep them in frame. They move just two feet and the background changes abruptly and sometimes foreground objects move in to fill empty space within the frame and BINGO! I have another composition I wouldn't have seen without a long lens.

In addition at 300mm it was very disorienting hunting for the composition compared to shooting say at 50-100mm depending on where the subjects were. The Francis Ford Coppola movie "The Conversation" demonstrated this constant panning of the lens to keep up with the subjects being surveilled from far away while maintaining interesting compositions. A photographer can't see that without looking through the viewfinder which makes it a disorienting experience.

Shorter lenses allow the photographer to just look around and spot their compositions and make slight adjustments to focal length before tripping the shutter.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 06:05:19 pm »

Use whatever focal length suits the subject you are shooting.
In street photography the subject is constantly changing?
Not necessarily. Either way, use whatever focal length is appropriate.
Besides they have these new fangled things called zooms which allow you to choose a variety of focal lengths.  :P
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2015, 06:11:58 pm »

Try one of these Right Angle Mirror...

I've used one years ago when I felt uncomfortable having people see me shoot them.
I prefer to hide in plain sight.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2015, 06:26:51 pm »

I prefer to hide in plain sight.

The very best way...you hang out, people notice you and then you disappear.

Peter

jjj

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 06:28:54 pm »

Indeed.
Plus if you use wide lenses you can be very close to people without them realising they are being photographed.
In this case if using a bulky DSLR with a large w/a zoom lens, people will often incorrectly assume it's a telephoto.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up