Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your recommendation for budget TLRs - fixed and interchangeable  (Read 5781 times)

MrImprovement

I have a nice Pentax K3-II , but I like the square format and there is something satisfying about film, still.  And TLRs seem pretty durable and quiet.

What is your recommendation for a budget TLR with fixed lens?  I like Rolleiflex but it seems they are high.  For a budget TLR, say under $150 or $200 max.

What is your recommendation for a budget TLR with interchangeable lens?  It seems they are a bit more, so, let's say $350 to $450 max, with a lens.

mbaginy

Re: Your recommendation for budget TLRs - fixed and interchangeable
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 02:16:56 am »

I enjoyed using a Yashica 124 in the late 60s and early 70s.  I mainly shot TriX.  Color slide film was challenging at times due to exposure - no spot metering possible and "aiming" the meter takes experience.  I found the negatives to acceptably sharp at all apertures.  Very quiet and not as heavy as the Mamiya models (which offer interchangeable lenses).

I strongly suggest to buy check any such camera closely, especially the shutter speeds.  Those cameras will have some mileage on them and you don't want to have to invest in servicing immediately after acquiring one.  I've always been pleased checking my local dealer first.  Often it will pay off in the end, to spend a bit more on a serviced or near mint model than trying to "save" when buying.  And don't rush your purchase - take time to wait for the model & condition you want.  And buying from private ebay sellers always contains a certain risk.

MrImprovement

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 01:32:43 pm »

Mike, thanks for your comments.

I should add, my plan is to shoot color negative, with an eye towards scanning the negatives and turning some of them into black and white shots.  C41 process is easier to find when traveling and it gives more options.

As an example, is a Ricoh Diacord in good mechanical shape, a good one to get?  Most photos will be landscape or out of doors, so maximum aperture of even f4, is OK (the 2 most common I see are 2.8 and 3.5, with the 2.8 usually going for a lot more).

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 03:55:57 pm »

the c330 is a superb camera, you can even change lenses. it's been nearly 20 years since i owned one, but as I can recall, it focuses quite close. it is not very pretty, but works like a charm. it is quite heavy, though
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 08:14:20 pm »

I have a nice Pentax K3-II , but I like the square format and there is something satisfying about film, still.  And TLRs seem pretty durable and quiet.

What is your recommendation for a budget TLR with fixed lens?  I like Rolleiflex but it seems they are high.  For a budget TLR, say under $150 or $200 max.

What is your recommendation for a budget TLR with interchangeable lens?  It seems they are a bit more, so, let's say $350 to $450 max, with a lens.

For a fixed lens, a Rollieflex TLR with a 75mm F:3.5 Tessar lens. This is an excellent lens when stopped down. Some of the earlier versions of this might be within your price range, or a later version that is cosmetically worn but otherwise in good working order.

The Yashica TLR is functional but the lens is mediocre from what I have seen.

As for an interchangeable lens, medium format TLR, as far as I know, Mamiya is the only one that made these. I have never used one that I can recall, but I have seen a lot of them first hand and talked with some who did use them. From what I hear, they are pretty sturdy and the lenses are adequate but nothing to write home about if you are looking for a high degree of sharpness. My sense is that the Rolleiflexes will provide much better image quality if you need it. However, the Mamiya TLRs were a staple for wedding and portrait photographers.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 08:29:05 pm by David Eichler »

xocet

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 09:00:45 pm »

A YashicaMat or Diacord will do just fine, assuming they are functioning correctly.  As long as they have the 4 element lens (Yashinon on the Yashica, I can't remember what Ricoh's lens names are), I very much doubt you could tell the difference between them and a similar vintage Rolleiflex in a "blind" test.

The Mamiya C330 is quite a beast, so see if you can handle one first.  If you want to retain the interchangeable lenses, but in a smaller body, you could also look for a C220.

A Rolleicord is also worth looking at.

However, consider that whatever you spend on a good Rolleiflex, you'll probably get back when it comes time to sell.

MrImprovement

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 12:42:29 pm »

Thanks for everyone's advice.  I found a C330 with standard lens online, and it should arrive Tuesday or Wednesday  ;D

MrImprovement

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 03:35:12 am »

Enjoy!
Diane Arbus used a C330. A couple of years ago I went to a major exhibition of her work where her camera was displayed in a glass case.
I wonder what camera she would have been shooting with today?

That is pretty cool, I never knew she used a C330.  T

he camera arrived today, it is a "user" meaning not pretty, but everything seems very functional and solid.  Will run a test roll through it and see what happens.  I actually prefer "user" or "beater" status as I intend to carry it in a backpack and I now have no excuses about "it is too pretty to take with me"  :)

sam@

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 12:44:36 am »

Hi

A bit late to the thread but I'll add -
c330 Prof was my first MF camera when I was studying photography late 80s. Some of my favourite images were taken with it.

I bought it on lay-by as a poor student and it was (still is) very worn looking. I loved that camera.

The images were really sharp from the 80mm. I would say on a par with my RB67 lenses, Hasselblad 80mm. (I also had at some stage the 55, 135, 180 and a 250).
If you do tripod / close-up work the paramender is great and the porrofinder / handgrip are good accessories also.

I think you should be happy!

Sam

MrImprovement

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 03:00:22 am »

Hi Sam, thanks for your post! 

So the camera had a test roll run through it, it came out pretty well. I wouldn't say that there were many keepers, just in terms of composition and light - but that is not the fault of the camera...

Even with a high-res scan of the negative, I haven't been able to find any evidence, at all, of typical lens problems like chromatic aberration or fringing.

It turns out I have the "chrome" 80mm - is that considered a less-sharp lens than the "black" 80mm?

sam@

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 04:11:15 am »

Hi - No worries.

Not sure if there is a difference? - Perhaps the silver models were earlier?
mine is all black (C330 Professional S) and I only have experience with that.

I mainly used on tripod / stopped down a bit but found I could get really sharp handheld images with slow shutter speeds due to lack of mirror.
Tri-X / FP4 for people and PanF for landscapes.

It's my only remaining film camera and haven't used for quite a few years - I might have to give that a thrash soon!

Sam
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 07:24:10 pm by sam@ »
Pages: [1]   Go Up