Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: megapixels  (Read 1598 times)

John Camp

megapixels
« on: July 20, 2015, 02:47:31 pm »

So I was searching Google for something else, when a B&H popped up on my screen, with an offer for a Leica X-E. I have no interest in one, but glancing at the specs, I noticed that it had a 16.2mp APS-C sensor. My GX7s have a 16mp m4/3 sensor and some Leica-branded lenses. So the question is, does the slightly larger pixel size of the Leica really translate into much of anything in terms of image quality, that could be detected by anything other than a microscope?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: megapixels
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 03:27:04 pm »

Hi,

It depends. On the lenses that is. Some of the Panasonic lenses are very good. Size is normally an advantage, but very good technology can compensate. A lot of very god technology, that is. Panasonic may be there…

Best regards
Erik

So I was searching Google for something else, when a B&H popped up on my screen, with an offer for a Leica X-E. I have no interest in one, but glancing at the specs, I noticed that it had a 16.2mp APS-C sensor. My GX7s have a 16mp m4/3 sensor and some Leica-branded lenses. So the question is, does the slightly larger pixel size of the Leica really translate into much of anything in terms of image quality, that could be detected by anything other than a microscope?
Erik Kaffehr

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 05:57:55 pm »

I've never used an X-E but I own & have used a Fuji X-E1.  ;)  It also has a 16mp APS-C sensor, maybe from the same family as the Leica's. And I own & often use a GX7, sometimes with the same Leitz/Leica/Zeiss M & LTM lenses as on the Fuji. The Fuji and the Panasonic yield somewhat different results in many cases, but I wouldn't say one or the other is "better." At pixel level the GX7 is noisier at higher ISOs, but downsampled for screen viewing—or printed—this disappears. With the GX7, and other m43 cameras, you may want to watch your highlights more closely at base ISO…a clipped JPEG can indicate a clipped RAW.

For me the GX7 is by far the more enjoyable camera to use…but then I bought the Fuji to use with adapted lenses only and have never explored its native lens system. My favorite lenses with the Panasonic are the two original kit zooms—14–45 & 45–200mm—along with the 20/1.7 and Leica-branded 25/1.4.

-Dave-

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 09:03:52 pm »

It might be  informative to read what digilloyd has to say about that Leica
http://diglloyd.com
Mike

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 11:00:50 pm »

Addendum to post above: one thing I really like about the Leica-branded (Sigma design, I believe) 25/1.4 lens is its close focusing capability. It goes down to 30cm. (Sony's FE 55/1.8, in contrast, bottoms out at 50cm.) This lets me use it in situations where I'd otherwise have to use a longer/macro lens…or crop more severely than I'd prefer. An example is attached, from early this evening. f/1.6. Taken with 16:9 in mind and only slightly cropped horizontally.

I see from The Online Photographer that John has an interest in the GX8. Me too. A somewhat larger GX7 would be nice.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up