Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

So, how much difference does 50MP really make with prints...

(1/10) > >>

keithcooper:
Having recently moved from a Canon 1Ds3 to a 5Ds as my main camera, I've been looking at how the new camera fits into my work.

Although not the biggest part of my business, architectural/landscape print sales do matter, so I was interested to see how I might need to change how I handle the bigger files for print.

Having made steps from 11MP to 21MP to 51MP over the years, I thought a simple print test would show the massive improvements since my 2002 vintage Canon 1Ds (effectively my first DSLR)

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/canon_5ds-print-comparison.html

Sure, the differences are there, but the real surprise came when I asked some non photographers to compare the prints.

If ever there was a reminder that what we sometimes think of as important doesn't matter one jot to (most) people who actually buy stuff, this was it ;-)

Of course, I could take some solace by viewing it as a testament to my upsizing and printing abilities, but that's not fooling anyone for long!

francois:
Thanks for this interesting, real world, article…

ErikKaffehr:
Hi,

I would say I had a similar experience when comparing 39 MP MF with my 24 MP Sony cameras. No really obvious difference in A2 size prints.

Best regards
Erik

--- Quote from: keithcooper on July 20, 2015, 05:18:05 am ---Having recently moved from a Canon 1Ds3 to a 5Ds as my main camera, I've been looking at how the new camera fits into my work.

Although not the biggest part of my business, architectural/landscape print sales do matter, so I was interested to see how I might need to change how I handle the bigger files for print.

Having made steps from 11MP to 21MP to 51MP over the years, I thought a simple print test would show the massive improvements since my 2002 vintage Canon 1Ds (effectively my first DSLR)

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/cameras/canon_5ds-print-comparison.html

Sure, the differences are there, but the real surprise came when I asked some non photographers to compare the prints.

If ever there was a reminder that what we sometimes think of as important doesn't matter one jot to (most) people who actually buy stuff, this was it ;-)

Of course, I could take some solace by viewing it as a testament to my upsizing and printing abilities, but that's not fooling anyone for long!

--- End quote ---

Hans Kruse:
Consider what print size would equal the PPI of a MacBook Pro 15" retina screen? The MBP 15 " retina screen is 220PPI. A print of 66,6x100cm is 221PPI. So viewing at 1:1 in Lightroom at distance of about 50cm from the MBP screen would be closer than you would view a 100cm wide print. So any detail that cannot be seen in 1:1 view on a retina screen is in fact irrelevant as long as printing is not exceeding that size. This also means (I would postulate :)) that any differences between lenses and RAW converters not seen in 1:1 are irrelevant. The differences between the 5RsR and the 645Z and the difference between the Otus and the Canon 85 f/1.8 are tiny seen in 1:1 view in my view. Yes, I see small differences but I doubt that would see them on a 100cm side print. Just as I did not see any noticeable difference between the Canon 5D III, the D800E and the IQ160 on an A2 print.

I'm no longer zooming in further than 1:1 in Lightroom on my MBP. I'm looking to get a 4K display for my office at a slighly longer distance the MBP typical viewing distance to see things more realistically than the 30" 2560x1600 display. In other words if a picture looks sharp in 1:1 one should be happy and move on :) I fully realize that there ar details smaller than that, but it would only be seen at a print size significantly larger than 100cm wide.

I guess a lot would disagree with my views here ;)

keithcooper:
Yes Hans, I'm sure they would ;-)

There certainly are differences, but whether I truly care about them really does depend (to some extent) on the end client and how much I'm being paid ;-)

I've just had to send a crop of a 5Ds image to a client for their printer (big display print) and it was indeed nicer to work on the 5Ds image than one I took earlier in the year on the 1Ds3.  My tests with the 9 prints have reminded me though that the image they selected was based on what it showed, not what camera I used...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version