Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Medium Format Camera Market

<< < (3/4) > >>

Let Biogons be Biogons:

--- Quote ---Just how close to 4x5 does the new 39 mpxl backs come?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59211\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
--- End quote ---

Close but no cigar, but I think one more step up in pixel count might do it.

jani:

--- Quote ---Just how close to 4x5 does the new 39 mpxl backs come?
--- End quote ---

Perhaps the articles about Phase One P45 and Horseman SuperWide D Pro and 4x5" Drum Scanned Film vs. 39 Megapixel Digital are of interest.

Ronny Nilsen:

--- Quote ---No surprises in their figures, DSLR shipments at 3.8m units in 2005 have just overtaken film cameras, and the trend is expected to accelerate with DSLR shipments surging to 4.7m units in 2006 before growing more slowly thereafter, reaching 5.3m units in 2007 and 5.6m units in 2008.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59094\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
--- End quote ---

A side note, I just saw the figures for Norway on digital vs. film, and here in Norway film is dead. In 2005 the total sales of cameras was 471 000, and of that only 7000 was film cameras. DSLR was 30 000+ cameras.

Even my  grandmother (80 years old) got a digicam last year.  

bob mccarthy:

--- Quote ---Perhaps the articles about Phase One P45 and Horseman SuperWide D Pro and 4x5" Drum Scanned Film vs. 39 Megapixel Digital are of interest.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59365\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
--- End quote ---

Thanks, I guess I passed by w/o reading them the first time. It really comes down to cost then. I doubt I'll ever shoot enough film to make a positive comparison to a digi back. This is supposed to be a tool to relax with, not to work with.

I guess I'll make a decision when we see what the scanner market offers this summer/fall in the way of reasonably priced product. The new Epson has caught my eye.

Off topic, film is dead. The Hassy is the last hope to maintain a manufacturing base. Gives the Imacon a leg up over, Phase, Leaf, etc. Truely tragic about Contax, I took them to be a surviver over Minolta. But this has been discussed to death, sorry!

Bob

Let Biogons be Biogons:

--- Quote ---A side note, I just saw the figures for Norway on digital vs. film, and here in Norway film is dead. In 2005 the total sales of cameras was 471 000, and of that only 7000 was film cameras. DSLR was 30 000+ cameras.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59367\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
--- End quote ---

Small sales of film cameras doesn't necessarily mean that film itself is dead.  Find the statistics that show how much FILM was sold.  I think you will find that there are still quite a lot of people still using the film cameras they already own, and will continue to do so for sometime.  Film sales probably have slowed somewhat, but they are far from "dead".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version