Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reflectors + Backgrounds--where do you suggest?  (Read 2948 times)

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
Reflectors + Backgrounds--where do you suggest?
« on: February 26, 2006, 05:00:11 am »

I know this is mostly a landscape forum, but some of you do studio work also. So where do you buy your backgrounds and reflectors--which brand is best quality?

I've had some bad experiences buying online, since you can't touch or work with the product. I have some alien bees stuff--all of my studio stuff is ABS, but I need a smaller reflector than they offer. I checked Owens, and they seem to have a good price, but still unsure.

I also bought too adjustable stools at the local stationary store, and they are coming in Monday. I don't have to accept them, but I saw on the Owens website that they have them for 75 each! The ones I ordered were 130 each.

Any suggestions would be great.

Hank

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 06:49:55 pm »

We're more interested in service and personal treatment than saving the last possible nickel.  Over the years we have grown to trust Calumet for the vast bulk of our studio equipment and supplies.  Yes you can buy the same brands elsewhere and often cheaper, but do any of those outlets have a living, breathing PHOTOGRAPHER available to discuss your needs and help fine-tune your options and purchases?  I'm yet to call there and not get informed, professional advice immediately, or by prompt return phone call when the relavent employee is tied up.  That's worth any price difference to us, and we've never found any reason either to distrust the advice or regret the purchase.

If by "reflectors" you mean those to go around your light, try this page.  It's the first of nine pages of them.  Browse their site, and I think you will find them to be pretty well equipped for most of your needs- a nice complement to the good advice available over the phone.

dwdallam

• http://www.dwdallam.com
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 04:22:14 am »

Hank, thanks. That's good advice. By relfectors, I meant Lastolite type off light relfectors. I'm wiht you too on service. I'll gladly pay more knowing I'm purchasing what I want. Do you have a brand choice for thick solid muslin? I ordererd one from backdropsource.com, as their return policy was 30 days no questions. They advertise their backgrounds as industry level, with buyers from Hollywood and England film studios. I guess we'll see.

We're more interested in service and personal treatment than saving the last possible nickel.  Over the years we have grown to trust Calumet for the vast bulk of our studio equipment and supplies.  Yes you can buy the same brands elsewhere and often cheaper, but do any of those outlets have a living, breathing PHOTOGRAPHER available to discuss your needs and help fine-tune your options and purchases?  I'm yet to call there and not get informed, professional advice immediately, or by prompt return phone call when the relavent employee is tied up.  That's worth any price difference to us, and we've never found any reason either to distrust the advice or regret the purchase.

If by "reflectors" you mean those to go around your light, try this page.  It's the first of nine pages of them.  Browse their site, and I think you will find them to be pretty well equipped for most of your needs- a nice complement to the good advice available over the phone.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59169\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hank

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 01:26:38 pm »

We use a variety of panels depending upon the shot and the setting, including these and these and these.

We've bought most of our muslins directly from Calumet, though I know there are others in our collection, including three or four my wife painted herself.  That's the first page of seven, so scroll through to examine sizes and colors.  In addition to their own, Calumet also lists them from Studio Productions and Westcott.
Pages: [1]   Go Up