Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Card recommendation for LR 6 (2015.1) win 64  (Read 24055 times)

jerryrock

• The Grove Street Photographer
Re: Video Card recommendation for LR 6 (2015.1) win 64
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 05:06:04 pm »

The develop module in Lightroom uses GPU acceleration.

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1828580

Photoshop Lightroom CC/Lightroom 6 system requirements and language versions

Windows
Intel® or AMD processor with 64-bit support*
Windows 7 with Service Pack 1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10
2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
1 GB of Video RAM (VRAM). 2 GB of dedicated VRAM is suggested for large, high-resolution monitors, such as 4K- and 5K-resolution monitors.
2 GB of available hard-disk space
DVD-ROM drive required if purchasing Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® retail boxed version.
OpenGL 3.3 and DirectX 10-capable video adapter for GPU-related functionality
Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.†
Mac OS
Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support*
Mac OS X 10.8, 10.9, or 10.10
2 GB of RAM (8 GB recommended)
1 GB of Video RAM (VRAM). 2 GB of dedicated VRAM is suggested for large, high-resolution monitors, such as 4K- and 5K-resolution monitors.
2 GB of available hard-disk space (cannot install on a volume that uses a case-sensitive file system or on removable flash storage devices).
DVD-ROM drive required if purchasing Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® retail boxed version.
OpenGL 3.3–capable video adapter for GPU-related functionality
Internet connection and registration are necessary for required software activation, validation of subscriptions, and access to online services.†
* Dual-core processor recommended for HD or AVCHD video functionality.

† NOTE: Internet connection, Adobe ID, and acceptance of license agreement required to activate and use this product. This product may integrate with or allow access to certain Adobe or third-party hosted online services. Adobe services are available only to users 13 and older and require agreement to additional terms of use and the Adobe Privacy Policy. Applications and services may not be available in all countries or languages and may be subject to change or discontinuation without notice. Additional fees or membership charges may apply.

Gerald J Skrocki

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 06:20:38 pm »

They may claim to use the GPU in the develop module but from other report of performance in this thread it doesn't seem that they have done a very good job with the implementation.

I spend most of my time in the develop module and currently I really don't see any difference with the GPU enabled. I am still using my GX 470 card with GB of vram.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Paul Wright

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 06:51:42 am »

My Win 8.1, i7 3.6 GHz, SSD, 32Gb, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 PC runs very sweetly with the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 card. This card was chosen primarily with Premiere Pro CC in mind. PS CC & Lr CC should have been a walkover for this card but it took until the latest drivers from NVIDIA to run the very fussy Lr CC 2015 update. But it's all very good now.

-pw

henk

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 12:37:32 pm »

No problems with NVIDIA GTX 960 graphics card on win 7 machine.
Works decent😊
Henk

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 01:53:46 pm »

No problems with NVIDIA GTX 960 graphics card on win 7 machine.
Works decent😊
Henk

Henk,

You have the card/OS I will be moving to soon.  Do you see a noticeable difference, in the develop module, with the GPU turned on? 

On my current GX470, I really can't see any difference in the develop module with the GPU turned on, it's the same with it off.  At least it seems so, I have not really tried to benchmark a few tool sliders/effects and loading of files, but may do that soon.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 03:58:50 pm »

I recently upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10.    This upgrade caused me to turn off the GPU accelerator in LR otherwise it would crash when I went into the develop module.   Now unchecked it works fine but is slower than what I experienced with Win 7.   I've since been told that Win 10 is taking advantage of the video card in ways that Win 7 did not.

I've been looking at the adobe and nvidia sites to see which model would best work for my needs.   I've not been able to find a full model number on either site.  There must be at least six versions of each model number yet no where in any of the documents (read the white paper too) does it tell me which version to use.   

Here's the LR suggested: For NVIDIA cards, consider a card from the GeForce GTX 760+ line (760, 770, 780, ...) or from the GeForce GTX 900 series.

So, between the 960 and 970 series I have about a dozen choices.   What are the salient attributes that I need to look for? 
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

jrsforums

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 04:37:01 pm »

I recently upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10.    This upgrade caused me to turn off the GPU accelerator in LR otherwise it would crash when I went into the develop module.   Now unchecked it works fine but is slower than what I experienced with Win 7.   I've since been told that Win 10 is taking advantage of the video card in ways that Win 7 did not.

I've been looking at the adobe and nvidia sites to see which model would best work for my needs.   I've not been able to find a full model number on either site.  There must be at least six versions of each model number yet no where in any of the documents (read the white paper too) does it tell me which version to use.  

Here's the LR suggested: For NVIDIA cards, consider a card from the GeForce GTX 760+ line (760, 770, 780, ...) or from the GeForce GTX 900 series.

So, between the 960 and 970 series I have about a dozen choices.   What are the salient attributes that I need to look for?  

Differences from the base chip (960, 970) are the manufacturer's reputation, amount of memory, clocking speed, cooling method, and fan noise.  Best place to weigh them is at review sites and user comments on Newegg and Amazon.

Ooops....missed price as differentiator.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:38:54 pm by jrsforums »
John

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 08:13:18 am »

So, between the 960 and 970 series I have about a dozen choices.   What are the salient attributes that I need to look for? 
I just finished a new work station build a couple of weeks ago, taking advantage of the drop in prices of 1150 socket Intel CPUs.  I upgrade the GPU to an ASUS STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5.  I wanted a GPU that is quiet since the work station sits on my desk about 18 inches away.  So far it's worked extremely well with LR and I've left the GPU mode running to see if there are major lags in performance (not so much).  Right now there is little optimization for GPUs with LR and if Adobe does implement something one will need to get a GPU with 4GB of memory rather than the two on this one.  Of course the price goes up considerably.  I was able to get the GPU on sale at Newegg for $25 off the current listed price.

Alan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up