Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Right brain, left brain myth debunked  (Read 48421 times)

Isaac

Re: Right brain, left brain myth debunked
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2015, 11:59:46 am »

Of course rules of photographic composition exist! Bruce Barnbaum names half-a-dozen. They are bogus rules.

What actually happens when people look at paintings has been studied - the information is available.

What rectangle ratios people prefer has been studied - the information is available.

amolitor

« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2015, 12:16:36 pm »

My personal vocabulary distinguishes between "rules" and "principles" here, somewhat arbitrarily. No on rules, yes on principles.

But word choices aside, the point is what you choose to follow.

Or, really, what's actually going on in the pictures you choose out of the pictures you shoot. I do try to consciously apply principles and design ideas, sometimes, but by no means all the time. But either way, they're quite visible in the pictures I select out of the pictures I've shot.

TomFrerichs

« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2015, 05:04:04 pm »

I remember when 2-1/4 x 2-3/4 (which comes close to a 5:4 aspect ratio) was touted as the "perfect image size," and was a selling point for the KoniOmegaflex cameras.  Of course, the fact that it would enlarge nicely to an 8x10 was just a coincidence.

Tom

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2015, 06:25:48 pm »

The 'rules' as they are incorrectly called are nothing more than guidelines for those who struggle to see images without help.
Learn the guidelines and then break them whenever it is appropriate.

As far as I am am concerned there is only one rule in photography - get the nearest eye in focus.
The farthest eye being the sharper of the two always looks like a mistake and weakens the photograph.
Both out of focus can work however.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2015, 06:37:11 pm »

Both eyes in fact the whole head in focus is best.

jjj

« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2015, 06:48:49 pm »

Both eyes in fact the whole head in focus is best.
Not necessarily. Just one eye in focus can look really good and everything in focus can look really dull. Or the other way around.
Both can work just fine, all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2015, 09:28:12 pm »

...Just one eye in focus can look really good...

Indeed. Even Rembrandt knew that and used it.

Isaac

« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2015, 09:44:03 pm »

Not necessarily.

So not even a usable rule / principle / guideline :-)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2015, 12:19:04 am »

Indeed. Even Rembrandt knew that and used it.

That may be true.  But you seem to favor both eyes and head in focus according to your own People album.  Very nice shots, eyes and head all in focus.  I don't think you would have improved on them if you narrowed the focus to the leading eye.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/sets/72157622783120385

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2015, 01:19:57 am »

Alan. I am traveling, so can't access the original files. If I remember correctly, on many of my shots that appear equally sharp when reduced to Flickr size, you would notice that the further eye is slightly out of focus when viewed at 100%. The point is to focus on the closer eye and let the other one fall where it may.

jjj

« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2015, 06:45:36 am »

So not even a usable rule / principle / guideline :-)
So selective quoting and also ignoring the context of the whole conversation to make a non point.  ::)
The rule related to when only one eye was in sharp focus.  The conversation had moved on from that and my reply was to Alan's preference for deeper depth of field.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2015, 09:02:38 am »

I agree Slobodan that the nearest eye should be in critical focus.   My preference though is that the DOF should be set so both eyes are in focus, and the entire head if feasible . People generally look better that way in portraiture.    I find that when the back eye is out of focus,  it's distracting to the viewer and takes away from the "beauty" of the subject.   Of course there are exceptions.  But those are in the minority.

I don't know what your full size versions are like.   But the ones on Flickr that i looked at have nice dof and  full focus.  And they look very nice to me.   I ask others to look at your People  album and see if they agree.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2015, 09:18:03 am »

Slobodan I went back to Flickr and enlarged some of the shots.   I see what you mean that the back eye in some of them are not as sharp as the front eye.   But I like the smaller version of the same shots when both eyes appear the be focused.   Don't you find that better as well?

amolitor

« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2015, 10:10:46 am »

Tell that to Mrs. Cameron.

Isaac

« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2015, 11:42:19 am »

Tell that to Mrs. Cameron.

Julia Margaret Cameron (for anyone who wishes to obscure less and learn more).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 11:43:58 am by Isaac »

Isaac

« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2015, 11:43:30 am »

The rule related to when only one eye was in sharp focus.  The conversation had moved on from that and my reply was to Alan's preference for deeper depth of field.

No, but have fun promulgating another authoritative rule / principle / guideline.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2015, 02:26:53 pm »

What's your point about Cameron?

amolitor

« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2015, 02:29:17 pm »

Cameron is widely recognized as a portraitist of tremendous ability, who pulled some of the truly great portraits, and she seemingly didn't give a damn if anything was in focus.

Isaac

« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2015, 03:30:32 pm »

"… my first successes in my out-of-focus pictures were a fluke. That is to say, that when focusing and coming to something which, to my eye, was very beautiful, I stopped there instead of screwing on the lens to the more definite focus which all other photographers insist upon."

Julia Margaret Cameron, pdf "The Annals of My Glass House" 1874

amolitor

« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2015, 03:41:06 pm »

Anyways, the point is that pretty much anything you can do in terms of technical/photographic choices has some sort of visual effect.

Good composition is about assembling a set of visual effects to create a picture that has the result you're looking for. There's a lot of general discussion available about what sorts of things one visual effect or another has that one can read about in books on painting, and early texts on photography, but ultimately it's about the gestalt effect produced by all of them that appear. Yellow is usually warming, a happy color, a good feeling color. But not always. Shove it in with the right combination of subject matter and other visual effects, and it might feel menacing.

It's not bad to have some guidelines and some ideas about how things work.

But ultimately you're going to need to deep visual vocabulary, and the technical mastery to pull the elements of that vocabulary off (that part's pretty easy, the harder part is simply knowing what is possible). When you have that in place, then you can start to visualize ideas for rendering whatever it is you want to show, and, if you're lucky, some sort of inspiration will strike and you'll know what to do to get the effect you want.

The option is to do what most people do (including plenty of internet-famous photographers) which is to simply ring the changes on standard compositions, and hurl masses of technique at them to attract the adulation of the gearheads. Which is a whole lot easier to monetize, I have to say, then actually taking interesting pictures. And, obviously, a lot easier to do as well.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 04:04:24 pm by amolitor »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up