Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spring in Vermont  (Read 9197 times)

Woods

Spring in Vermont
« on: February 25, 2006, 05:14:37 pm »

My sister and I are planning a visit (from the UK) to vermont for one week late may,ealy june. We will be staying in West Dover, Stowe and Woodstock. My sister likes writing and I'm a (keen amateur) photographer and we thought we would combine our skills.  Any advice regarding locations, events, websites or anything else would be much appreciated.

benInMA

Spring in Vermont
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 09:41:59 am »

There are lots of great sights all along both sides of Lake Champlain.   From the Vermont side on many days you can see the mountains in New York.   Definitely check out the islands on the northern part of the island.  You can drive for 50+ miles across islands by crossing the bridges, with some excellent views of both the New York Side and the Vermont Side.  You can get out to the islands by taking Rt. 2 from Colchester/Milton out to South Hero.   From there you can follow Rt. 2 all the way to Canada.

The areas around Dover have lots of little villages, many of the buildings kind of run down.  You might see motorcyclists or bicyclists on Rt. 100 they might make for a decent addition to a photo if you're quick.

Stowe is pretty built up, it's one of the most "resort" oriented towns in all of new england.  It's still fairly picturesque though.  There are lots of hilly/mountainous fields and pastures where you may find new crops & flowers in the spring.   Make sure to drive the road over smuggler's notch as well, you'll get some good views there.   As you go over 108 to Cambridge you can take 15 towards Essex Junction, I've gotten several good pictures on those roads towards sunset.

Another place I find interesting is Crystal Lake out near the town of Barton.   That's a long way from anywhere you are going to be but Crystal Lake is almost like a Loch, long lake with mountains rising on both sides.

There are lots of people doing photography in VT, the best of it is from the people who live there all the time though, most of the best spots and photos are a result of being there through all the seasons and getting to know a particular area really well.   Do not be afraid to take a hike as opposed to driving around in your car, IMO many of the best sights & photos will be missed by someone who stays too close to their car.

Woods

Spring in Vermont
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 02:06:11 pm »

Hi Ben,

Many thanks for your advice and your time. You've certainly given me a good starting point for my research and my trip planning. My sister and I enjoy walking also, so your idea of getting out of the car and going for a hike suits us down to a T. I'll let you know how it goes in June and will send you a couple of pictures.

Regards

Alex

benInMA

Spring in Vermont
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 02:12:09 pm »

My website is a mess, I am working on putting it in order.

I may be able to show a bunch of VT pictures before you go once everything is organized and point out where some of them were taken.

I won't say I have a fantastic portfolio from VT, but I was born there and still spend a lot of time there so I have a definite fondness for Vermont.

Doesn't help that some of my better stuff is in a box on film, not getting digitized quickly enough at all.

Ben

Tyler Hawk

Spring in Vermont
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 09:04:19 pm »

Just to let you know, that is the prime of bug season.  Black Flies and Mosquitoes will be plentiful in parts.  Bring lots of bug spray.  Also watch out for ticks!

Woods

Spring in Vermont
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 07:32:24 pm »

Looking forward to those pictures... maybe even on your website!!!

Woods

Spring in Vermont
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 07:34:16 pm »

Just to let you know, that is the prime of bug season.  Black Flies and Mosquitoes will be plentiful in parts.  Bring lots of bug spray.  Also watch out for ticks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59334\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for your advice.... don't tell my sister, she'll be mortified. (will get the bug spray just in case)

Tapeman

• http://
Spring in Vermont
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 07:45:46 pm »

I'm leaving for Vermont Wednesday, coming back on Sunday. Visiting friends there. I'll post about any interesting places I hear of.  As far as the bugs go, when my wife's family comes over here to visit from Wales they hate them. Be prepared.
Tapeman.  Canon shooter. Acquiring gear

Woods

Spring in Vermont
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 03:35:18 pm »

Have a good trip... look forward to your feedback.

Geoff Wittig

Spring in Vermont
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 03:09:11 pm »

From Woodstock you can take Route 4 east or west for many nice views of curving road and forest. Heading west the road runs along the Ottauquechee river, and you can get beautiful reflections of sunlit trees against boulders in the water. Many of the small towns are becoming increasingly "Disney-fied", but some still have a bit of character.

srehart

Spring in Vermont
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 08:34:23 pm »

My sister and I are planning a visit (from the UK) to vermont for one week late may,ealy june. We will be staying in West Dover, Stowe and Woodstock. My sister likes writing and I'm a (keen amateur) photographer and we thought we would combine our skills.  Any advice regarding locations, events, websites or anything else would be much appreciated.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=59060\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi-

I lived in Vermont for 7 years and one of the most beautiful places I saw while living there was Texas Falls.  It is located off a road that cuts thru the Green mountains.  It might be route 125 I'm not sure.  You will need to park your car and walk 1/4 mile or so to it.  Don't miss it.

Woods

Spring in Vermont
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 05:29:52 pm »

From Woodstock you can take Route 4 east or west for many nice views of curving road and forest. Heading west the road runs along the Ottauquechee river, and you can get beautiful reflections of sunlit trees against boulders in the water. Many of the small towns are becoming increasingly "Disney-fied", but some still have a bit of character.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60090\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks! I've been doing a lot of work with watercolors and reflections in the last 6 months, so I'll make route 4 a must for my trip.

Woods

Spring in Vermont
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 05:36:20 pm »

Hi-

I lived in Vermont for 7 years and one of the most beautiful places I saw while living there was Texas Falls.  It is located off a road that cuts thru the Green mountains.  It might be route 125 I'm not sure.  You will need to park your car and walk 1/4 mile or so to it.  Don't miss it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60103\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the advice. Sounds like water will feature quite heavily in my photography in Vermont!

gingerbaker

Spring in Vermont
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 05:16:11 pm »

Here is a site that might give you ideas
http://www.vermont-byways.us/VTBywaysInfo.htm

I live in Vermont.  My advice is to get lost!   Seriously.  Get off the main roads, drive on the dirt roads, and get good and lost.  That is where you will see the true Vermont.

In Dover, you are not far from Newfane - that is a picturesque area.

In general, know that there is a large mountain range that runs north-south right through the middle of the state, so traveling east-west tends to be difficult.  Many of these roads will be "gap" roads - very steep, turn-filled roads up and down the spine of the Green Mountains.  Very scenic and wild.

The northeast quadrant ( The Northeast Kingdom) of the state is the least developed.  It is sort of like going back in time in many places.  Eat at Lagos in Newport - fantastic food.

If you feel like a short hike with a spectacular view whilst in Woodstock, seek out Deer's Leap trail.  Alternatively, take the chair lift to the top of Killington or Pico (ski) mountain, and hike down to find interesting shots.

The Willoughby River is one of the premier trout streams in the northeast USA, and is chock full of picturesque opportunities, including fisherman shots.

Another strategy I would highly recommend is to find out where the best restaurants are in the state, and then take the back roads to visit them.  

Hope you have a great time!  

DarkPenguin

Spring in Vermont
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 05:34:38 pm »

I have no comment about vermont.

Did you, gingerbaker, make that avatar?  Seriously cool.

gingerbaker

Spring in Vermont
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 07:19:38 am »

No - found it.  It is making the rounds. I had a beloved animated pooh bear, but he passed away.

wheatridger

Spring in Vermont
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 02:28:00 am »

I spent my first few days touring Vermont this fall, so here's my suggestion -- go anywhere, you can't go wrong. From my small experience, finding an ugly or boring road or town in Vermont is harder than finding good Mexican food there (which hints at my only complaint about Vermont). The man-made landscape is old, weathered, human-scaled and all the more beautiful for it. The natural environment is colorful, finely textured, graceful and moody. I've been to most regions of the US, but I'd take another week or month in Vermont over anyplace else, including the Rockies, the West Coast, and the South. Those regions have splendid destinations, but miles of drab landscape of tacky sprawl in between. In Vermont, everything I saw contributed to the pictures I visualized. Everything fits there, in the most compelling way. So have fun. My only caution there is that sunny days don't come that often and may not last, so use the light well while it's there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up