Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: E Wipes  (Read 5078 times)

aztwang

E Wipes
« on: July 18, 2015, 11:58:12 am »

I was looking into the use of E wipes from Photosol on my iq160. I have used this product before on my DSLR's. Upon reading the product description the last line says " Not for use with Dye-On CCD chip." Does this apply to the P1 IQ160 ccd sensor? I have no idea if there is dye on this chip. Thanks for looking and please excuse my ignorance.

Ciao

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: E Wipes
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 12:10:14 pm »

Strongly recommend you call a Phase One dealer and get the following:

Phase One cleaning kit with solution A and B.  You will only need B most of the time.  The kit comes with a plastic bar that coves both a full frame sensor and cropped.

Buy a package of the leaf cleaning wipes, they are by far the best, leave no streaks or filaments. 

If you are in the US, try either Capture Integration in Atlanta GA or Digital Transitions in NY.

I just wouldn't use anything else on a back that costs 40K new and is still worth over 20K used.  Just me. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 01:16:18 pm »

For what it's worth, I strongly concur with Paul.  I've been using the Phase One A&B solutions with the Leaf dry wipes for ages.  Solution B is a mixture of isopropanol alcohol and deionized water. Solution A is sort of a soapy substance that I only use if there are stubborn spots on the sensor, like when I shoot at the ocean and the sensor exposed to salt air.  Leaf used to provide a bottle of the Isopropanol/deionized water solution along with their wipes as far back as their 20 MP Aptus and well before they were part of P1.  They both recommend the isopropanol/deionized water solution which is pretty good evidence of what you should be using.

Your E wipe is mainly Methanol, a different chemical composition from Isopropanol, but not being a chemist, I can't tell you the difference. But regardless,  I find the P1 bottled solution easier to use and cheaper for that matter, so I see no advantage from deviating from what the manufacturer recommends.

pemihan

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 02:52:18 pm »

Phase One has stopped selling the cleaning kits with solution A and B. New backs are supplied with standard Eclipse cleaning fluid, a couple of E-wipes and a small bag of Pec-Pads and that's what I use anyway.
They sell that cleaning kit as well: https://www.digitalback.com/product/phase-one-sensor-cleaning-kit/

Be aware that the Eclipse fluid in my experience does "get old" meaning that the fluid attracts moisture from the air and thus loose the ability to dry instantly potentially leaving ugly streaks.

Peter
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 05:41:51 am by pemihan »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 03:08:34 pm »

Phase One has stopped selling the cleaning kits with solution A and B. New backs are supplied with standard Eclipse cleaning fluid, a couple of E-wipes and a small bag of Pec-Pads and that's what I use anyway.
They sell that cleaning kit as well: https://www.digitalback.com/product/phase-one-sensor-cleaning-kit/

Be aware the the Eclipse fluid in my experience does "get old" meaning that the fluid attracts water from the air and thus loose the ability to dry instantly potentially leaving ugly streaks.

Peter

As Peter mentioned the Phase Cleaning kit is now called "new version", looks like the leaf wipes are still out there.

https://digitaltransitions.com/product/other

Interesting news.  I still would consider the leaf wipes, hopefully these are still sold.  All other types of wipes, Phase One, Pec Pads, etc. are woven and they will catch right at the edge of the sensor opening.  Shed a single filament, then you have a very very hard time to get it out.  You have to use tweezers and you are right at the edge of the opening thus a scratch can be done.  

Here is link to the Mamiya wipes, I believe these are the same as the Leaf version.
https://www.digitalback.com/product/mamiya-sensor-cleaning-wipes/

I will note, that when my IQ260 was returned last from Phase One, I had 2 of these that I had to get loose, one was easy, the other a bit harder.  

Paul
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:14:46 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

aztwang

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 06:07:46 pm »

I did order the P1 kit and Leaf wipes from Capture Integration on Thurs. but it wont be here till Tuesday, I was really wanting to go out and shoot this evening with a clean sensor and yes I agree I dont feel like scratching the sensor. I was going to use my Pec Pads and Eclipse solution but went to Photosol.com and they specifically say that they DO NOT recommend the use of Pec Pads to clean CCD sensors so, that generated this post as my only alternative was a couple packs of Easy wipes that I had in my cleaning kit. Guess I'll wait till Tuesday, Thanks for the replies.....

Ciao

pemihan

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2015, 05:40:59 am »

Bear in mind, you are not cleaning the actual sensor but the IR filter which is separated from the sensor.
Not that it isn't expensive to have the filter replaced if scratched (about $1,400).

Peter

aztwang

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 09:40:39 am »

Bear in mind, you are not cleaning the actual sensor but the IR filter which is separated from the sensor.
Not that it isn't expensive to have the filter replaced if scratched (about $1,400).

Peter

Pemihan, yes I am aware of that but thanks for the info. I do have a question for you as I seem to remember you have had both the 250 and Full frame CCD. Not sure if you shoot portraits but was wondering how you like the 110mm and the 150mm on the crop sensor versus full Frame. Do you lose a little bit of depth of field going from for frame CCD to crop frames on your CMOS 250. I appreciate a input you may have because I'm considering selling the 160 that I have and picking up the 250 that I believe you sold to another member here or are on Get.

Thanks

Don

Shrev94412

• Phase One, Fuji GFX100, Nikon and Leica Q2 Shooter
    • Shreve Fine Art
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 05:07:32 pm »

I would use what the dealer suggest. For my Phase they recommended their cleaning solutions as shipped with the backs, not eWipes. I also have a Hasselblad and they recommend eWipes. For Nikon I use the VisableDust Solutions.

Just my 2 cents
Check out my work at www.shrevefineart.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up