Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Printing  (Read 9734 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Capture One Printing
« on: July 18, 2015, 08:24:31 am »

I posted a general question in the C1 forum, but specifically wanted to ask the group that frequents this forum what their thoughts are on printing from Capture One. I'm used to the capabilities and workflow of LR, but considering C1 for other reasons, but still would like to print from the same program I'm working in rather than having to switch to a different app.  Any caveats with printing from C1 compared to LR?
Mike Guilbault

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Re: Capture One Printing
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 09:10:47 am »

My limited experience says that it works just fine, without the preset conveniences of Lightroom.

But I would not classify myself as a "fine art printer."
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 10:01:25 am »

I posted a general question in the C1 forum, but specifically wanted to ask the group that frequents this forum what their thoughts are on printing from Capture One. I'm used to the capabilities and workflow of LR, but considering C1 for other reasons, but still would like to print from the same program I'm working in rather than having to switch to a different app.  Any caveats with printing from C1 compared to LR?

One of the greatest features of LR printing is that LR will upscale to 360 or 300 dpi depending on the printer outside of the driver driver.  Epson's driver uses the oldest form of interpolation, I believe nearest neighbor.  I love this feature with LR.  I don't know what C1 does here, but the LR process is definitely better to me than printing from CC, as I can just let LR do the uprez.  I personally have never used C1 for printing, so it will be interesting to see what you find. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 10:24:14 am »

That's what I like about LR as well Paul, and my main concern about moving to C1.
Mike Guilbault

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 10:47:20 am »

Hi Mike,

You can install Capture One Pro as a trial version for 30 days and I think it is worth you to try it.

I used to work with PS CS4 and now I am work more and more with C1 Pro and the results in image processing are more or less the same and so I guess the result of printing will also be.

I have never touched LR so I can not say anything about that.
Thanks and regards Rainer
 I am here for

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 01:42:18 pm »

Hi Mike,

You can install Capture One Pro as a trial version for 30 days and I think it is worth you to try it.

I used to work with PS CS4 and now I am work more and more with C1 Pro and the results in image processing are more or less the same and so I guess the result of printing will also be.

I have never touched LR so I can not say anything about that.

Hi Mike,

I just saw in your other post that you are already trying it for a week, so my posting above is already answered.

Due to your question I started doing some test and see how C1 works for printing. No good results so far but I do not know what am I doing wrong  ???

Will keep trying.
 I am here for

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 10:28:01 pm »

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I need to upgrade my Mac, more than anything else.
Mike Guilbault

mgrayson

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 06:56:44 am »

I used to think C1 was incapable of printing. Then I followed the online guide exactly step by step and it worked tolerably well. Getting an image centered is much harder than it should be. I assume that once one gets a workflow going, it's ok.

If you're having trouble, as I was, go here http://help.phaseone.com/en/CO7/Output/Printing-photos.aspx and don't skip any steps.

Good luck,

Matt

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 12:06:50 pm »

I used to think C1 was incapable of printing. Then I followed the online guide exactly step by step and it worked tolerably well. Getting an image centered is much harder than it should be. I assume that once one gets a workflow going, it's ok.

If you're having trouble, as I was, go here http://help.phaseone.com/en/CO7/Output/Printing-photos.aspx and don't skip any steps.

Good luck,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks and yes I have read that.

I should have written that my problem is that what I see on the screen does not come out on the paper colourwise.

Following the for me known adjustments when I print from PS CS4 everything is OK.

I have something wrong somewhere with my Colour profiles.

I work out my images of my 5DIII with the generic camera profile for the 5DIII which is available in C1 v8.

Then I go to the print menu and choose everything as written in the Help, which BTW looks like it was written for C1 v7 because many of the options do not appear. I am working on an EPSON Stylus PHOTO 2200 printer (I know that is a very old model but was in his times state of the art printer as far as I know)

So where is my mistake in regard to Colour Management.

Perhaps somewhere I have to convert to Adobe RGB and then send to the printer ?

Any tips for this are appreciated

;D

I am here for

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 01:07:42 pm »

Hi Mike,

First of all Apologies for hijacking your posting  :-[

Now somehow I do know what I did but a test print came out great now  ;D

I used all the same settings as before. Yesterday my printings came out with a total magenta tint.

Today after seeing that one single  jet was clogged and making a printer cleaning the print came put as same (+95%) as the image on the screen, I am happy.

Could it really be that one single jet causes such a big problem ? I would have understood that maybe 50% of the jets of a single colour could make that.

Well problem is solved and the printing directly from C1 v8 is as good as from PS CS4.

I am happy now having learned something new. Thanks for posting hte question because without that I would have never tried to print from C1  

;D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 03:07:34 pm by Rainer SLP »
 I am here for

Rainer SLP

• RS-Fotografia
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 03:07:06 pm »

First test was on Matte paper from Epson with a custom profile and just made another test on Epson Glossy Photo paper and both are great.

So thanks for the topic which moved me to test the printing out of C1 v8

;D
 I am here for

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 07:24:21 pm »

I haven't been back to C1 for a for a bit now, but was having a horrible problem with printing a large canvas (40x80) through LR. It would spit out 6' of canvas before starting the print!  I was on the phone with Epson for about 4 hours over two days and we came to the conclusion that it was a problem with LR (or Adobe because it wouldn't work in PS either). That being said, I printed it in C1 and it came out perfect.
Mike Guilbault

jerryw

• Jerry Weimar Photography
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 10:12:18 pm »

One of the greatest features of LR printing is that LR will upscale to 360 or 300 dpi depending on the printer outside of the driver driver.  Epson's driver uses the oldest form of interpolation, I believe nearest neighbor.  I love this feature with LR.

That's what I like about LR as well Paul, and my main concern about moving to C1.

Mike - how do you set the following check-box in LR: Print/ Print Job/ Print Resolution?

Reason I ask: when I first got my 7900 and did some test prints with Print Resolution check, most came out well but:
  • I had a few cases where, selected areas of plants (grass, goldenrod, etc.) would come out absolutely mangled - i.e., blurred and smudged to the extreme.
  • I'm not talking about pixel-peeping - rather noticeably visible in the print at a normal viewing distance in, say, a 1" x 1" area
  • This occurred at all of: 240, 300 and 360 ppi - no difference
  • After some experimentation, I found that unchecking the print resolution check box (thus leaving any/ all interpolation to the epson driver) eliminated the problem.
  • I still have LR Print Templates hanging around with the print rez box checked, but I no longer use them - lost trust in LR uprez.
  • (Granted, this was on an earlier version of LR - so maybe I need to try it again)

I hope you don't mind this related sidebar in your thread.

Cheers

Jerry

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 10:56:21 pm »

Jerry...  I usually have it checked and set at 360.  If the native res is more than 360 I'll usually set it to 720. However, like you've experienced, this is not a set-once-and-forget-about-it solution. It will depend a lot on the image, but there's no real way of knowing without making a print first, unfortunately.
Mike Guilbault

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 04:52:05 am »

Well, I'm a CaptureOne user, but the one thing that would tempt me (and is tempting me) to move to Lightroom is the Print module.

I use Photoshop to print.  There is, from my experience, quite restricted control over printing from CaptureOne.  It's fine for a quick draft, but I wouldn't waste any good paper on it.

--
David Mantripp

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 08:26:52 am »

I haven't been back to C1 for a for a bit now, but was having a horrible problem with printing a large canvas (40x80) through LR. It would spit out 6' of canvas before starting the print!  I was on the phone with Epson for about 4 hours over two days and we came to the conclusion that it was a problem with LR (or Adobe because it wouldn't work in PS either). That being said, I printed it in C1 and it came out perfect.

Mike,

Quick question, when you were having LR spit out the 6 feet of extra canvas, what did the print preview look like?   I am getting ready to make a 36 x 96 and dreading it as I am familiar with such problems from CS3 and CS5, but never LR.  Just curious as if the print preview looks right, I have always been OK.

Jerry, I have had LR do the same thing you describe, but it has only happened in a couple of images.  Same type of issue where some finer details were really jpg'd out and very screwed up.  But that was on LR 4.4.  However I don't feel too much improvement has been made to the print module in several releasese, at least it seems the same.  

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

jerryw

• Jerry Weimar Photography
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 08:42:01 am »

Jerry...  I usually have it checked and set at 360.  If the native res is more than 360 I'll usually set it to 720. However, like you've experienced, this is not a set-once-and-forget-about-it solution. It will depend a lot on the image, but there's no real way of knowing without making a print first, unfortunately.

Jerry, I have had LR do the same thing you describe, but it has only happened in a couple of images.  Same type of issue where some finer details were really jpg'd out and very screwed up.  But that was on LR 4.4.  However I don't feel too much improvement has been made to the print module in several releasese, at least it seems the same. 

Mike, Paul - thanks for the replies.  Interesting.  I hadn't known that others had experienced this same issue with LR.

I agree it only happens once in a while, but I really don't want to be nervous about every print and have to inspect every square cm to be sure the issue hasn't happened.  Hence why I leave the uprez to the driver.

Questions for you guys:
1) Do you notice a visible diff in print quality when LR does the uprez vs. when the driver does it?  (I could run the experiment myself, but assuming you guys have done it and already have an opinion.)

2) Have you noticed the LR mangling on selected images at all with LR 6.x?  (When I get some time, I'm going to re-print an image I know caused the issue with an older version of LR, and see if the problem is still there with LR 6.1).

Thanks!

Jerry

Jimmy D Uptain

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 10:04:05 am »

I haven't been back to C1 for a for a bit now, but was having a horrible problem with printing a large canvas (40x80) through LR. It would spit out 6' of canvas before starting the print!  I was on the phone with Epson for about 4 hours over two days and we came to the conclusion that it was a problem with LR (or Adobe because it wouldn't work in PS either). That being said, I printed it in C1 and it came out perfect.

I had the same problem, and never could get it resolved. I ended up just buying printing software.
One of the best investments I ever made. I chose Mirage Print, however there are others on the market.
These softwares make printing so much easier.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 12:18:33 pm »

sorry for the delay Paul... hope your print went ok.

The preview looked fine.  I ended up printing mine out of CaptureOne and it worked fine. Epson is saying it's either an Adobe or Apple problem now.
Mike Guilbault
Pages: [1]   Go Up