Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR6 so slow ?  (Read 14726 times)

zobeleye

• zobeleye
LR6 so slow ?
« on: July 17, 2015, 08:26:25 pm »

I have upgraded to LR 6 standalone a while back and I am frustrated with the time it takes to open files.
I mostly work with DNGs from my 645Z and in develop it takes 13 seconds for a file to be displayed in focus on my 24" eizo.
I have rendered fullsize previews. once it's rendered, it takes 4 secs to zoom to 100%, which i deem ok and workable, but switching from one file to another in 100% percent for comparison also takes 13 seconds, which is ridiculous
in my opinion.
now my machine is not the newest, but in LR5 before, I did not notice that.
also I now get the spinning ball a lot when editing...

my setup is ( see attachment), my catalog is on main drive(7200)

anybody else noticing a slower performance ?
is it time to upgrade the MAC ? ::) 👿

mac pro 32 gb,eizoCG318,LR,nikon,fuji,Pentax645Z
http://zobeleye.com/

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: LR6 so slow ?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 08:51:35 pm »

Many of us, yes! Turn off GPU and see if that helps. But no, you're not alone.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

zobeleye

• zobeleye
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 08:59:14 pm »

doesn't change a thing...

Rand47

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 08:43:45 am »

I also turned off GPU. Helped "a little" but still very much slower than v5.  Painfully slow loading images in the Dev module.  I have a decent machine: i7, 32 gigs, 2 SSD (programs & cat/scratch), fast HDD for data.  V5 really moved along nicely, now I wait for stuff.  Hopefully fixable.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 10:35:58 am »

Not running Mac OS, but the same issues are true with win64.  Slow to load in develop module, slower if you have a lot of brushes active. 

The entire program take most times 15 to 20 seconds to load each time.  Painful at times, other times OK.  I am starting to believe that there is a memory leak or something going  on as the issue seems to get worse the longer I run the program. 

The GPU (mine is a GX470 1GB), so older, seems to slow things down even worse, so for now I have it disabled.

CC on the other hand screams. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 10:49:43 am »

I have upgraded to LR 6 standalone a while back and I am frustrated with the time it takes to open files.
I mostly work with DNGs from my 645Z and in develop it takes 13 seconds for a file to be displayed in focus on my 24" eizo.
I have rendered fullsize previews. once it's rendered, it takes 4 secs to zoom to 100%, which i deem ok and workable, but switching from one file to another in 100% percent for comparison also takes 13 seconds, which is ridiculous
in my opinion.
now my machine is not the newest, but in LR5 before, I did not notice that.
also I now get the spinning ball a lot when editing...

my setup is ( see attachment), my catalog is on main drive(7200)

is it time to upgrade the MAC ? ::) 👿

Are moving from one image to the next in the Library module? And did you generate 1:1 previews. You say full size but I would like to make sure it is 1:1 previews and not the previews that fit your screen resolution.

If you move from ne image to the next in the develop module it is different and the 1:1 preview is not used entirely. If the 1:1 preview is used partially I'm not sure. It would be nice with an answer from Schewe or one of the Adobe engineers about exactly what happens in the Develop module in that respect. Remember also that 1:1 previews are discarded as soon as you do any edits on the picture (yes, I know it is obvious but sometimes it is forgotten :)).

I know it is not fair to compare, but my MacBook Pro 15" 2015 model with the 2880x1800 retina display switches instantly from one picture to the next as long as I'm in the Library module. If I do the same thing in the Develop module and use the arrow key to move to the next picture it takes 1-2 seconds until I see the picture clear as long I'm not zoomed in to 1:1. If I'm zoomed in to 1:1 and move to the next picture it takes about 4-5 seconds (sometimes a bit longer and not consistent) until the picture is clear. I used my Nikon D810 files for that test.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:18:25 am by Hans Kruse »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 01:05:13 pm »

On my MacBook Pro, my IQ180 files only take 3 seconds when moving from one image to the next in the develop module when view is set to Fit, and 2 or 3 seconds longer if I immediately “zoom” to 100%.  If I’m at 100% when switching images it takes about 8 seconds to render it. In the library module if 1:1 previews exist, it’s pretty much instant, even at 100%. this is consistent whether the images are on my external portable 4TB USB 3 raid or on the internal SSD.

I haven’t noticed any slowdown with LR6.  I have tested things with and without the GPU, and the only difference I see is when zooming to 100% in the develop module the image gets very blurry before  it pops into sharpness.  With GPU off, this doesn’t happen.  but timing is identical.

Mid 2014 MacBook Pro, 2.8 GHz Core i7, 16GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB, 1TB SSD

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 02:51:41 am »

No problems here with LR 5, 6 or CC with a modern Mac with an SSD, 16GB RAM and an i7 Quad Core. Decent specs, but hardly a world beater. Had some terrible problems with LR3 and 4 and a 2009 iMac, but performance seemed to improve markedly toward the end of each update cycle.

zobeleye

• zobeleye
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 04:12:54 am »

newest development...
updated to 6.1.1 standalone ( thought that I could only update CC, but Hallelujah😀)
now the rendering time for 100% in develop is halfed, to about 6-7 seconds, which brings it back inline with LR5.7. to which I had gone back to be able to work and not shoot myself...
going from fit view to the next pic still takes 7 seconds to get sharp, which is weird, since switching to a new picture displays it sharp for a second, then blurs it and after 6 seconds finally shows it sharp.
still weird, but workable.
that's on the Mac pro mentioned above, will now check new macbookpro, once it actually sees the update...
cheers
Z

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 03:33:14 pm »

Yes 6.1.1 loads the files faster, going to full size views is much faster and the whole program just seems to be more fluid and less demanding on the processor.

Paul
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

Rand47

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 03:43:20 pm »

Yes 6.1.1 loads the files faster, going to full size views is much faster and the whole program just seems to be more fluid and less demanding on the processor.

Paul

+1 with LR CC update on W7 machine - significant improvement. 

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 04:01:36 pm »

newest development...
updated to 6.1.1 standalone ( thought that I could only update CC, but Hallelujah😀)
now the rendering time for 100% in develop is halfed, to about 6-7 seconds, which brings it back inline with LR5.7.
With or without GPU on? I had it off since the original version seemed to preform slower with GPU on. I just upgraded, turned GPU on, quit and tried 1:1 in Develop, seems much faster now.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 04:07:26 pm »

Here's what appears to be a bug that hasn't been fixed. I wonder if anyone can confirm it. I reported it before, nada.

Take an image like a Macbeth color checker in Develop, set soft proof for ProPhoto RGB. In LR I get for the red patch (your numbers can vary of course) 119/33/23.
Render in ProPhoto RGB, open Photoshop, check the same red square. I get: 166/80/65.
HUGE numeric differences, sampling wouldn't account for this discrepancy. Worse, in LR5, the numbers are about the same as seen in Photoshop. ACR when set for ProPhoto RGB also shows the same numbers I see in both LR5 and the rendered image in Photoshop. LR6 values are off the charts.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 04:09:35 pm by digitaldog »

Arlen

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 03:17:13 pm »

Andrew, I get a similar result, if I do what you did. ColorChecker Passport red square, softproofing for Prophoto RGB in LR CC shows 80/27/17. Rendered in Prophoto and measured in PS CC 2015, it shows 134/73/56. However, when reading the values for the red square in LR softproof, the value stays the same (80/27/17) no matter which target profile is selected; so the readout must be for LR's color space (Melissa RGB?), rather than for the softproof target?

[Edit:  I started with a RAW file, rather than one already converted to a color space, if that is relevant.]

[2nd edit:  Starting with a Tif file already rendered in Prophoto yields the same result as starting with a RAW file.]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:06:52 pm by Arlen »
Pages: [1]   Go Up