Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad HTS and architecture.  (Read 12846 times)

landscapephoto

Hasselblad HTS and architecture.
« on: July 17, 2015, 06:57:06 am »

Are there people here using the Hasselblad HTS for architecture (correcting perspective)? How practical is it as a system?

landscapephoto

Re: Hasselblad HTS and architecture.
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 10:01:45 am »

Thank you for the quick answer. I have read that distortion is pretty high on the 28mm. Is it better on the 24mm?

landscapephoto

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 03:33:15 pm »

Phocus corrects distortion even when the lens is shifted or tilted? Does it also corrects color casts?

landscapephoto

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 01:13:54 pm »

Thank you for the info. Seems that the HTS is a real alternative to a technical cam!

Ken R

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 06:04:07 pm »

Thank you for the info. Seems that the HTS is a real alternative to a technical cam!

When looking into medium format digital I looked into the Hasselblad HTS and ultimately decided on the tech cam route mainly due to the higher quality lenses, much smaller size and weight and much more lens movement capability. I also have a Hasselblad H1 for when I need an SLR (mainly for portraits).

The HTS however is a great solution for those invested in the Hasselblad system.

Remember that the HTS increases focal length by 1.5 so the widest lens available, the 24mm, turns into a 36mm and the 28 into a 42mm lens.

In that range, the (tech cam lens) Schneider 35mm digitar XL is very small and light and offers great performance on the 40mp and 50mp (ccd) backs and even works well on the 60mp backs. The Rodenstock 40mm HR-W works great with all backs. Even a simple platform like the Arca Swiss factum will offer nearly the same amount of movements as the HTS but in a much smaller and lighter package and of course the RM3Di offers even more movements (2 axis independently) for about a grand more $ or about the same price as the HTS.

landscapephoto

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 08:47:33 pm »

When looking into medium format digital I looked into the Hasselblad HTS and ultimately decided on the tech cam route mainly due to the higher quality lenses

I would be interested in a direct comparison between tech cam lenses and the HTS system, but was never able to find one.

Ken R

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 10:14:28 pm »

I would be interested in a direct comparison between tech cam lenses and the HTS system, but was never able to find one.

As a general rule tech camera wide angle lenses are much better than SLR camera lenses edge to edge (and beyond) in regard to distortion and sharpness due to them not having the design constrains of having to fit on a body with a set, and somewhat long, flange focal distance and having to clear a mirror like the SLR lenses need to do. As a bonus they are much smaller and lighter than SLR lenses.

That said I have seen good results from the 28mm H lens and the HTS combination. Someone here posted some nice samples (architecture) a while back. I don't recall who it was :(

landscapephoto

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 07:19:09 am »

As a general rule tech camera wide angle lenses are much better than SLR camera lenses

This is why I would be interested in a direct comparison between tech cam lenses and the HTS system. I have a preference for the HTS system but I could probably go either route. If I could see a direct comparison, that would help.

Ken R

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 01:55:39 pm »

This is why I would be interested in a direct comparison between tech cam lenses and the HTS system. I have a preference for the HTS system but I could probably go either route. If I could see a direct comparison, that would help.

I would contact a dealer. They can provide raw files for comparison. I use Digital Transitions in New York. They have a bunch files made using a wide range of sensor/back and lens combinations.

Drop them a line (or your dealer of your choice) they will provide you with great info with no strings attached or cost to you. It's what they do.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 01:59:30 pm by Ken R »

tjv

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 02:48:43 pm »

If you want to see a truer representation of the HTS performance, I would suggest asking a dealer who actually deals in Hasselblad gear, like Pro Centre in London, for example, to refer you onto one of their professional customers. From talking to some pretty big name shooters, most rate the HTS highly, all be it admitting it has a more limited range of movements than available on a technical camera. Sean Conboy, for example, told me it's a brilliant product but not versatile enough in movements and wide angle options for a great proportion of his work. Hence he uses the Linhof Techno.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 03:59:41 pm »

For clarity we sell Hasselblad bodies, lenses, and accessories. We do not sell Hassy digital backs.

We can't claim not to be biased. But at least in this case we are equally glad if someone buys a Hassy HTS or tech cam from us.

buckshot

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 10:36:22 pm »

For clarity we sell Hasselblad bodies, lenses, and accessories.

Had a look at your website - can't see any mention of Hasselblad outside of the blog - not even a logo.

Since you sell HB, wouldn't it make sense to list it under - say - 'Camera Systems and Peripherals' > 'SLR Camera Systems' ?

You could also add HB to your LuLa signature.  ;)

Jim

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 10:39:01 pm by buckshot »

landscapephoto

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 03:25:58 pm »

I would contact a dealer. They can provide raw files for comparison.

I will probably do that eventually, but I am probably not the only member of this forum to need that information. Ideally, some comparison should be posted here. We have had numerous articles about film versus medium format, we have a comparison between CCD and CMOS about every other week, why no decent comparison between lenses?  ::)

Chris Livsey

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 03:57:24 pm »

why no decent comparison between lenses?  ::)

Because test targets are boring, and hard to interpret with different mounts and cameras, as a sensor, which will be different, is needed never mind RAW conversions and processing. Do without those and use an optical bench or similar as lens rentals (http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2015/07/variation-measurements-for-wide-angle-lenses ) does and you get pages of nerdy graphs and numbers and, after discounting or averaging out the variability between lenses, you have "the best" which is immediately dished for having poor bokeh  or low flare resistance or .... ::)
Don't try the makers either, their MTF graphs, when not computer generated, are from a production lens, well maybe not  ;) much as a car can have its MPG figure "massaged" in test (within the EU rules) by taping over vent holes and running special thin oils and low rolling resistance tyres etc.

BTW I don't think you will find many film v digital MF here, many use film for personal work even if digital at work, now CCD v CMOS has occasionally been mentioned  ::)

landscapephoto

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 04:26:28 pm »

Because test targets are boring, and hard to interpret with different mounts and cameras

But that would be the same it the data was obtained from a dealer than if it was posted here.

And, quite frankly, I find that a few pictures of the same subject taken with two different lenses at a few apertures are quite informative of the differences in capabilities of these systems. After all, this is what lenses and cameras are for: taking pictures.

BTW I don't think you will find many film v digital MF here

Some time ago, the parent site for this forum got famous for these comparisons:

https://luminous-landscape.com/d30-vs-film/
https://luminous-landscape.com/shootout/
https://luminous-landscape.com/4x5-film-vs-digital/
https://luminous-landscape.com/pixels-vs-film/
https://luminous-landscape.com/like-it-is/
https://luminous-landscape.com/iq180-vs-8x10/
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 04:30:54 pm by landscapephoto »

Ken R

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2015, 05:00:30 pm »

I will probably do that eventually, but I am probably not the only member of this forum to need that information. Ideally, some comparison should be posted here. We have had numerous articles about film versus medium format, we have a comparison between CCD and CMOS about every other week, why no decent comparison between lenses?  ::)

Because most people who talk about medium format digital in this and other forums don't actually own medium format digital gear. Even for those who do its very expensive to have a large selection of lenses. Unlike with 35mm digital where there is a huge number of users with many, many lenses and even several digital bodies.

I myself own a Canon 5D3, 1DS3, 11 L lenses but "only" a Phase IQ160, Arca Swiss RM3di, Rodenstock 40mm HR-W and 70mm HR-W lenses and an H1 w/ 80mm f2.8 lens.

A dealer like DT has basically immediate access to a large selection of medium format digital gear. They have to, for sales and rental purposes. I know they have a large library of raw files made with a wide range of lens/body/back combinations and if what you ask for they do not have they can probably shoot it for you.

landscapephoto

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 05:28:56 pm »

What I actually intended to say is that, on luminous-landscape, we have had articles comparing camera systems. One single user may not have all the equipment, but Michael Reichmann still could organise a few shootouts comparing different camera systems a few years ago. A similar article comparing tech cams and the HTS would be nice. Something like this:
https://luminous-landscape.com/measuring-megabytes/

Ken R

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2015, 09:21:20 pm »

What I actually intended to say is that, on luminous-landscape, we have had articles comparing camera systems. One single user may not have all the equipment, but Michael Reichmann still could organise a few shootouts comparing different camera systems a few years ago. A similar article comparing tech cams and the HTS would be nice. Something like this:
https://luminous-landscape.com/measuring-megabytes/

That would be great. If invited I would participate.

Unfortunately ever since the D800/E came out the perceived value of medium format digital has gone down like a rock although MFD is now better than ever. There are many many options in a wide range of prices. Most articles have concentrated in comparing the Nikon/Sony sensor 35mm cameras against a Medium Format Digital setup, and of course the 645Z against everything!

Now that the Sony A7R (II) and the Canon 5DS/R are out there they attract the most interest and people further question whether MFD is worth the cost.

So most of the hate against Medium Format Digital has to do with the cost, specially the higher end stuff and the performance of the CCD sensors in situations where the latest Sony EXMOR CMOS's are best.

Gandalf

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2015, 09:50:37 pm »

I can't imagine a HTS can hold a candle to the image quality of a tech cam and lens. However, there is another issue here, which is workflow. The HTS allows camera control via Phocus and the iOS app (there may be an Android app too). For me, and the way that I work, this is the difference between needing an extra assistant to cock/fire the shutter or make adjustments to the scene/lighting. This becomes even bigger if you have lights that are adjustable via wifi (I don't, but wish I did). The HTS will provide sufficient quality for most clients and most projects. Don't under estimate the focal length multiplier, and remember that this come on top of an already small sensor. This may require stitching to get framing you require, which if that is the case, you might as well use a tech cam anyway.

So, yes, the HTS is for sure an alternative to a tech cam, albeit one that offers certain advantages (remote camera control, works with your existing system), and certain disadvantages (focal length multiplier, weight). It is certainly cheaper to buy or rent a HTS and see if it works for you that to buy/try/sell a tech cam. Personally, I think it comes down to available/disposable funds, intended use and how much you are going to use it. I do think the HTS can be a better option for architecture, but I think the tech cam wins for landscape. The big separation is the HTS is just an accessory for your Hassy system. The tech cam is an additional system that can use your Hassy back.

BAB

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 11:42:59 pm »

Yes however a 28 mm lens on a h5d 50 is 17mm that being said a 1.5x multiplier would give you a 25.5mm equvelient lens not bad plus as previously noted the phocus software makes all the corrections for you!
Also it's pretty much point and shoot where as tech camera requires much more effort.

Unfortunately the past and current marketing-trade-in efforts of certain Meduim format backs coupled with creative financing leaves the price of those high-end, high megapixel and functionaly newest backs at a nose bleed price only suited for buyers wanting monthly payments. If you want to pay the right price (half) and pay cash they don't want your business unless you don't mind paying twice as much!

If your buying for the short term and the latest paying thru the nose with trade-in possibilities is the way to go! You jump into a super deep hole you can never get out of but if your doing business so what. If you plan on keeping your equipment for a while and buy used lenses you can throw the back away after you do enough business with it or sell it cheap and your saving big money!

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up