Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: South Temple Valley - and Hi  (Read 2251 times)

Mike Brown

South Temple Valley - and Hi
« on: July 16, 2015, 04:42:30 am »

Hi Folks,

I have been lurking here for many years and appreciating the obvious talent and hopefully learning a little along the way. Thought I should start more actively participating so wanted to share this, a view from a mountain pass at the head of the South Temple valley in Ohau, New Zealand the morning after a night camped in a snowstorm in mid December (should be nearly our Summer!).

Regards,
Mike
Mike Brown       
Flickrstream

francois

Re: South Temple Valley - and Hi
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 07:07:51 am »

Welcome on the forum, Mike. This is beautiful shot and an excellent introduction!
Francois

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 09:24:30 am »

Wonderful scenery. I am curious as to what the colour version looks like, should be good too.

polaris-14

• Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 09:44:35 am »

This is a very good shot! I love every single bit of it. I am looking forward to seeing your work more often in the forum!
Adhika Lie
Website | Flickr

Mike Brown

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 08:02:56 pm »

Thanks for the kind comments. Colour version below (although just a quick edit).

I think at the time I chose the B/W as it better reflected my feelings at the time, having just spent a night in a tent in summer snow after walking 10 hours in Southerly wind and rain the day before.

Mike Brown       
Flickrstream

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 05:14:30 pm »

Great B&W, Mike - much stronger than the colour. I don't at all get the feeling you describe when looking at the B&W - it sings with light and potential!

If I could offer just one suggestion... the foreground could use some context. The stream and valley seem to come out fo nowhere. It's a minor point as the photograph can stand as is.

Welcome!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Mike Brown

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 06:06:31 pm »

Yeah, I still prefer the B&W also. I did try several shots to get more foreground in, unfortunately it was the top of a convex rollover snow slope. So the only foreground I could get in frame was rather dull (to me eyes at any rate). Alas, by farther down the hill the cloud had cleared, light flattened (and I was more concerned with getting my companion safely down the steeper fast softening snow).

Mike Brown       
Flickrstream
Pages: [1]   Go Up