Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings - 645z owner  (Read 7904 times)

gavincato

• Gavin Cato Photography
Re: Greetings - 645z owner
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 07:06:10 pm »

Oh btw - hans - I have tried a 5dsr - petty disappointed in it. Sheer resolution aside it looked identical to the 1dx.

Having said that it was only for 10-15 mins but it made me glad I got the 645z.

Cheers.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 07:35:14 pm »

Hi Dave,

What adapter are you using for the K mount lenses on tha A7r?
Have you AF or electronic aperature control?

Cheers

Andrew

There's a gentle rendering character to many Pentax lenses that in my experience works well with higher resolution films & sensors. The 77/1.8 Ltd. is a favorite of mine on Sony's A7r for this reason. The A series 100/2.8 is another. In the 645 range the 75 & 150mm f/2.8s, in particular, have this character. They provide enough spatial resolution (for me anyway) without any hard/harsh qualities.

-Dave-
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Garry Sarre

• Photography by Sarre
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2015, 08:09:59 am »

Very generous Gavin. Thanks for so many examples of wide open Bokeh with medium format images. Luscious, images soaked in ambience.

I only have one eye so I have to see clearly through the viewfinder, hence opting for the bigger sensors. The switch back to MF was a godsend as I found the dslr's image size for viewing to be wretchedly inadequate. My old film K1000 Pentax looking almost 3d compared to the mini view in modern DSLRs.

I went for a Blad H5d over the new MF cmos variants primarily for the image size in the viewfinder, plus my work is predominately studio, so ISO not a factor. In your situation, I'd be going down your direction in choice. It's also great to see a wedding photographer getting really serious with image quality over convenience. That discipline keeps our profession a 'profession'.

Image H5d. 120mm overlaid with scanned Tri X film.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 08:12:57 am by Garry Sarre »
Portrait Photographer and printer

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2015, 10:37:37 am »

Oh btw - hans - I have tried a 5dsr - petty disappointed in it. Sheer resolution aside it looked identical to the 1dx.

Having said that it was only for 10-15 mins but it made me glad I got the 645z.

Cheers.

I tried the 645D that one of my workshop participants had brought along and except for resolution it looked like my Canon 1Ds III at the time. That was for landscapes.

I have not made a comparison for shallow dof type shots between the 645D or the Phase One IQ160 and the Canons and Nikons I have. Without mentioning which lens you were using on the 5DsR the short test you made is almost meaningless. I would think that your 110mm f/2 shots could have been done with the Canon 135 f/2L lens or even at a longer distance with the Canon 200 f/2.8L or even the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II at 200mm to give the same or even mor shallow DOF. I must admit that the bokeh in some of the 110mm f/2 shots is not that pleasing to me. I think you make beautiful and romantic images that I'm sure your clients love. I'm also sure they don't even look at the bokeh that much :) I have seen shots taken with the Canon 85 f/1.2L that are stunning with atmosphere and dreamy bokeh, so I'm not that convinced about the Pentax being so superior here in that respect.

The other thing is if you really need that resolution for your wedding shots. Do you print in sizes larger than Super A2 or A1 as part of the package for your clients? I made test prints from Canon 5D III, Nikon D800E and Phase One IQ160 printed on Super A2 and I saw no difference to speak of at a viewing distance of an arm length.

It's great that you are happy with the Pentax and if that gives you more pleasure and confidence in what you do and more happy clients, then that is really great.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2015, 03:27:05 pm »

This image below was shot a couple of weeks ago with the FA 120 Macro f13 - 1/40th
Focused on the windows.
I really like the way the foreground is ever so slightly oof.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:17:12 pm by alatreille »
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Telecaster

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 06:06:19 pm »

What adapter are you using for the K mount lenses on tha A7r?
Have you AF or electronic aperature control?

I'm using a straight tube Novoflex adapter…fully manual. Most of the lenses are manual focus anyway (and some even predate auto aperture diaphragm stopdown).

-Dave-

gavincato

• Gavin Cato Photography
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2015, 07:19:32 am »

I tried the 645D that one of my workshop participants had brought along and except for resolution it looked like my Canon 1Ds III at the time. That was for landscapes.

I have not made a comparison for shallow dof type shots between the 645D or the Phase One IQ160 and the Canons and Nikons I have. Without mentioning which lens you were using on the 5DsR the short test you made is almost meaningless. I would think that your 110mm f/2 shots could have been done with the Canon 135 f/2L lens or even at a longer distance with the Canon 200 f/2.8L or even the Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II at 200mm to give the same or even mor shallow DOF. I must admit that the bokeh in some of the 110mm f/2 shots is not that pleasing to me. I think you make beautiful and romantic images that I'm sure your clients love. I'm also sure they don't even look at the bokeh that much :) I have seen shots taken with the Canon 85 f/1.2L that are stunning with atmosphere and dreamy bokeh, so I'm not that convinced about the Pentax being so superior here in that respect.

The other thing is if you really need that resolution for your wedding shots. Do you print in sizes larger than Super A2 or A1 as part of the package for your clients? I made test prints from Canon 5D III, Nikon D800E and Phase One IQ160 printed on Super A2 and I saw no difference to speak of at a viewing distance of an arm length.

It's great that you are happy with the Pentax and if that gives you more pleasure and confidence in what you do and more happy clients, then that is really great.

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the lovely comment and the interesting insights :)

With the canon lenses, I have all of the ones mentioned except the 200/2.8 - I have the 85/1.2, the 135/2, have owned the 70-200/2.8 and 200/2 (and 1.8 before that). In a moment of madness I also used a 300/2.8 for wedding location shoots.

This is being really picky now, but my feeling is that the fast aperture canon glass mentioned - whilst it does do a great job of achieving very shallow DoF, I don't like the way it really obliterates the background. Using the 135/2 for example at f/2 it just completely is mush in the background. And I know thats what a lot of people like - I used to be one of them.

Whether it be the lenses or the bigger sensor or a combination of factors, the f/2 and f/2.8 stuff on the pentax just looks better to me. The background whilst they still get significantly knocked out of focus have a nice texture to them. I love the circular highlights and general look of the bokeh - and I love the fact that I'm getting something that looks a little different to my competition whilst still keeping true to my style for my couples.

I've just printed off a couple of 30x22" prints from the 110mm and they just look incredible. Not hugely sharp (getting it bang on focus wise is tough) but it just has beautiful look about it. Putting it on the wall next to my older 1Dx portfolio shots to my eyes they look miles better.

As you mentioned, it is giving me confidence which is probably more important than anything. The 5Dsr thing, i just mean that generally the files look near identical to what I've been getting from the 1dx for ages - in my opinion the sensor offers no improvement apart from more pixels/rez. I don't think I could tell them apart in lightroom unless i zoomed in. Whereas with the 645z files it's plain as day. Not meaning to start a canon vs 645z thing. I like my canon gear a lot still!

cheers

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up