Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Subjective presentation  (Read 3953 times)

aeduard

Subjective presentation
« on: July 14, 2015, 05:57:45 pm »

I would like to say hello to this great community. I'm here for a few years, but I've been quiet and just savoring the articles and forum posts. Even though lately I'm mostly watching than creating photography, I would like to present a short series of pictures. Not because of their superior artistic quality, but a phenomena so common to human nature, as we like to overlook things that are not directly affecting us. I'm attaching 4 landscape pictures from the same location in b&w to create a first impression and then the color versions to alter that a bit. I think a mouse hover presentation would create a stronger impact, but I don't know if that is possible in these forums.
Impressions, comments and opinions are welcome.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Subjective presentation
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 06:29:29 pm »

Welcome!

Well done overall. My favorites: #4 b&w and #3 color.

Hidden Grid

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 03:03:14 am »

The greens and browns are great.
Keep your finger on the shutter and your eye on the view finder...

I need an appraiser for my work. HiddenGrid0@Gmail.com

thierrylegros396

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 03:35:00 am »

Number 3 in color is my favourite.

Outstanding colors.

Thierry

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 03:49:21 am »

Nice images. Just out of curiosity, what is the reason for the colour in the water?

I have seen similar colours in abandoned mine lakes, due to sulphur and such, hope the reason is not the same here, as the scenery is lovely.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 03:29:13 pm »

##2 and 3 colour for me. None of the monochromes grabs me.

Jeremy

spidermike

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 03:41:07 pm »

a phenomena so common to human nature, as we like to overlook things that are not directly affecting us. I'm attaching 4 landscape pictures from the same location in b&w to create a first impression and then the color versions to alter that a bit.

Am I being slow, but I have absolutley no idea what you are talking about

mbaginy

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 12:16:25 am »

There color images are more to my liking - dramatic colors, interesting but not over-cooked.

I too must be a bit slow this morning and don't understand what you're suggesting.  Maybe a change of color to b&w when the cursor hovers over the image?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 02:02:14 am »

... don't understand what you're suggesting.  Maybe a change of color to b&w when the cursor hovers over the image?

Instead of first posting four color images, then posting their b&w counterparts, he is wondering if it would be possible to post only the color ones that would change to their b&w counterparts when you hover the cursor over them.

aeduard

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2015, 04:28:02 am »

@ Slobodan Blagojevic, Hidden Grid, thierrylegros396 - thank you for your comments
@ Paulo Bizarro - sadly the reason is the same, it is a mine lake of a nearby copper mine (picture 4)
@ spidermike - I think I wasn't explicit enough. I observed that many times we are quite passive regarding environmental problems. And this is partly because of the presentation of the subject. In this actual case, first time when I saw the b&w versions, the scene looked quite nice, I can even say idyllic. Nice hills with a lake, meadow with some basic agriculture, and in the background, but quite far, some industrial activity. But when you see the color pictures, everything becomes unnatural, and you realize that the pictures show a very serious environmental issue.
@ Mike D. B.  - as Slobodan said, only the other way, I wanted first the b&w, and with mouse over the color versions.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 05:28:13 pm »

...many times we are quite passive regarding environmental problems. And this is partly because of the presentation of the subject. In this actual case, first time when I saw the b&w versions, the scene looked quite nice, I can even say idyllic. Nice hills with a lake, meadow with some basic agriculture, and in the background, but quite far, some industrial activity. But when you see the color pictures, everything becomes unnatural, and you realize that the pictures show a very serious environmental issue.

You had me fooled by the B&Ws - they are beautiful, although the water did look slightly unnatural.

The colour versions really speak loudly and clearly. I didn't like the colour of the water at all and now I know why.

Excellent series and presented well. I think if more photographers would take the Ed Burtynsky route, we might have more people willing to stand up to what we are doing to Earth's life systems.

Thanks for sharing.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Mike Brown

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 06:30:34 pm »

A powerful contrast, thanks for sharing. I think the third of each is my favourite.
Mike Brown       
Flickrstream
Pages: [1]   Go Up