Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question on the bmpcc  (Read 3679 times)

fredjeang2

question on the bmpcc
« on: July 14, 2015, 01:35:26 pm »

How are the prores files?

fredjeang2

Re: question on the bmpcc
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 04:49:17 pm »

James,
Many thanks for those precise infos. There are really usefull.

On Baselight for fcp7...it can or not be truly interesting.
Yesterday I had an interesting conversation with mister Phillips
And he explained me the core inplementation on Baselight in Avid. Then installed it in my Avid workstation for testing.

Baselight editor comes in 3 flavors, Avid, Nuke and Fcp7.

First the good news: this is recognized by colorists as one of the very best grading tool available now with Mistika.
It is intuitive and "old school" kind of interface.
But filmlight is the Rolls of color grading app.

Now the interrogation is this: as I don't own a fcp7 nle, I
Ignore how they limited the capabilities because not being 64bits. Yes the integration is like Apple Color but it's not clear
For me if you get access to trackers and full polygon tools.
This is a question to be asked and see where are the limits
In fcp7. It could be or not a real deal according to this point.

Now...if a company such as Filmlight decided to provide
An integrated grading tool for fcp7 users in 2015, is that they have the seats wanting it and many editors are still cutting in 7.
So I definatly think that it is worth a look for 7 users.

Could it replace a Resolve? That's the big question. I don't
Think so because I imagine they had to limit the features to adapt them to a NLE that stopped to evolve.
But on the other hand  I doubt Filmlight built this if it was useless for 7 users
In Avid, it's definatly a big plus that avoids many roundtrippin
Obligations. But Avid is 64bits.

Avid will soon be free too. (will have a free version). How the free Media Composer will be limited? is not an available information
that I know at the moment but it's on its way.
Now, once you edit in LW, it's extremely painfull to be back into an Avid environement. I understand better why they are so many feature films
cutted in LW (see a sample below)...

... because LW "Works as" you where actually working with analog rolls, everything is a clip. "It's like" a NLE thinking Linear.
So it seems to me that step by step, I will abandon Avid. Editshare being very strong in what media management is concerned,
they also provide tools for Avid's workstations. So Baselight editor not being available on LW and the standalone version is
untouchable for me, I don't think I'd use Baselight in the near future unless they bring a plug-in for Editshare.

Cheers from unbearably hot Madrid. Now I gona take the car and ride the highway to get fresh air (and cops poursuite)

Ps: wich models of the Schneiders?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 08:00:55 am by fredjeang2 »

John Brawley

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2015, 04:26:24 am »

How are the prores files?

I don't have any to download but these are pretty close...

The one's labelled "FILM" are the log encoded ones so you need to grade them.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4KzkrvuLxMKWTBpRUROelBPcVU

JB

Pete_G

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 05:06:48 am »

I'm currently arguing on another forum that Filmlight should do a free version of Baselight for Avid, possibly limited to non online versions of the DNxHD codec, because for those offlining on Avid it's way too expensive. What's in it for them?....the possibility that an offiline project with, say, a fairly extensive Baselight grade using the plugin might be taken to a full Baselight system for the final grade.

Fred, If you're really liking LW and think you may use it for a few years, you should consider investing in a console because that's where the system really starts to work well. You would need, if you haven't already, to learn using your mouse with your left hand (easily done) and using the console with your right hand. The keyboard becomes rather redundant. I threw out a couple of consoles a few years back when I moved to Avid because it seemed LW was going nowhere.

fredjeang2

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 05:41:23 am »

Pete,
Yeah, The console is high on my list.
I saw one yesterday in Australia.
Well priced: 700 euros.

The only thing that stops me for the moment
Is that I'm just investing into a complete renewval
Of my editing studio, and numbers rule.
But I almost bought the console then my left brain
Told me to be "reasonable".

Do I like the term "reasonable"? No.
Bloody left brain!

Ps: I completly agree that Baselight edition should be free.
AND as for the standalone Baselight, they should implement a rental plan like Assimilate.

Ps2: Pete, I don't know if LW was your first love and you miss it but they are going somewhere now.
I joined the beta testers for the comming soon 12.5 release and it's really evolving in the right direction.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 07:04:19 am by fredjeang2 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up