Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any other Pentax fans here?  (Read 2457 times)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Any other Pentax fans here?
« on: July 14, 2015, 01:17:02 pm »

It's the underdog brand lately but I've been very happy with my Pentax gear going back to the ME Super that was given to me when I was in high school in the 80's.
Currently I'm using a K-3 for most of my photos with a K-5 for a backup/second. I also have a 645 (not D or Z) that I take out from time to time for a landscape or portrait (currently loaded with Velvia 50). I'd love a Z (or even a D) but it's not in the budget at the moment.

I think for a landscape/adventure shooter the K-3 is a great camera, despite some people's disdain for APS-C sized sensors. It's rugged, weather sealed, relatively small, and there are some fine lenses available, some of which are very compact. I take it backpacking, mountain biking, backcountry skiing, peak bagging, and even just around town. For me it's the right compromise between bulk and image quality with a lot of great features for true photographers. The ergonomics work well for me too (I'm medium sized).

I'm watching the upcoming 35mm body with interest as well, and hope it doesn't end up being too expensive or big/heavy.  

Anyone else enjoying their K mount gear? Just curious as I haven't seen much discussed here.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 01:59:33 pm by MattBurt »
-MattB

Otto Phocus

Re: Any other Pentax fans here?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 01:46:26 pm »

When I was looking for a new system I gave the K3 a very serious look.  It has much to offer.  But I wanted to move to FF.

So naturally after I buy into a new FF system, Pentax is coming out with a FF   :'(

What I don't understand is that Pentax as so much to offer the customer, but they treat is as some tip top totally secret thing.  Come on Pentax, let's see some advertising!!!

I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 01:59:04 pm »

What I don't understand is that Pentax as so much to offer the customer, but they treat is as some tip top totally secret thing.  Come on Pentax, let's see some advertising!!!

I don't understand this either. Most reviews are positive (except Rockwell's; he seems to have a longstanding beef with Pentax) but they never seem to capitalize on any of that momentum. Weird. At least under Ricoh they are making what I think are positive movements which is much better than when they were under Hoya. 
-MattB

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 03:20:34 pm »

I've had a series of Pentax bodies: K10, K7, K3. Also the one before with the silly ist-* name :-) I've been happy with all of them, not having felt comfortable with the amount of money needed to buy the same level of gear in Canon or Nikon. Probably if I was into sports or bird photography requiring rapid continuous auto-focus, I'd be less happy, but I always swap the AF to a rear button and use a single central spot.

However, I've been pretty disapointed in their lenses. I have the 16-50/2.8 and 50-135/2.8 almost new in their boxes because of their horribly slow focusing. I replaced them with Sigma lenses which have been better in every way AND much cheaper.

You can check out the sort of photography I do on 500px if you search on my name...

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 04:27:42 pm »

If I ever get around to doing a fair amount of kayaking, I am going to get myself one of the Pentax APS-C cameras with IBIS, and a few water-resistant lenses. Ideal kit for water sports, possibly ideal for birding-by-kayak (people say you can get closer to birds - 300mm f/4 might be a decent FL, even better if they ever make a water-resistant 1.4x teleconverter).

On land, the Pentax I lust for is the Z.

Pentax was cool even before the bayonet mount. The best M42 screw mount lenses were said to be Pentax Takumars. I had the M42 mount all-manual (c. 1969) Mamiya Sekor DTL 1000 film SLR, and several M-S and Vivitar M42-mount lenses bought in the 1970s as my kit.

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 05:13:33 pm »

If I ever get around to doing a fair amount of kayaking, I am going to get myself one of the Pentax APS-C cameras with IBIS, and a few water-resistant lenses. Ideal kit for water sports, possibly ideal for birding-by-kayak (people say you can get closer to birds - 300mm f/4 might be a decent FL, even better if they ever make a water-resistant 1.4x teleconverter).

On land, the Pentax I lust for is the Z.

Pentax was cool even before the bayonet mount. The best M42 screw mount lenses were said to be Pentax Takumars. I had the M42 mount all-manual (c. 1969) Mamiya Sekor DTL 1000 film SLR, and several M-S and Vivitar M42-mount lenses bought in the 1970s as my kit.

The AW sealed 1.4x converter is available now but you would lose a stop and it's not cheap. I have a 1980's era A* 300/4 and it's still a fine lens as long as you don't challenge it with lots of glare. It's manual focus but nicely implemented. I love it for long landscapes.

I lust for the Z as well but I would still keep the K mount stuff to travel lighter in the backcountry.

I shot a record setting open water swim from my kayak with a K-5 once and it went pretty well. A splash or two hit the camera with no ill effects.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 05:16:34 pm by MattBurt »
-MattB

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 05:42:49 pm »

I have a whole bunch of Pentax M42, K & 645 lenses. Lotsa good ones in there! The more recent 31 & 77mm Ltd. lenses are among my most-used on the Sony A7r. And then there's the 645D, way more camera than I need (or can even use in most of my favored pic-taking situations) but still fun to haul out when base ISO & a tripod are called for.

-Dave-

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 12:23:12 pm »

Yes - Big Pentax Fan here.  First camera like many was a K1000.

Still using my K20/K5iiS and now the 645Z.

Unfortunately Pentax hasn't doesn't have a technical lens line up, so for work I don't get to use them much, though the Z is finding a place in my kit more now.

When friends or clients talk to me about buying a N or a C I always tell them to look at the current Pentax model as they always offer more for the $ to the end user.
With the full frame around the corner I really hope the company does a large marketing push even if it is to simply make people more aware they are in the game and not just a hobbyists camera line.

Man I've been waiting for this FF for quite some time - nearly sold many of my FA* lenses last year.  Excited I didn't!

Andrew
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2015, 08:06:23 am »

Tried Pentax a few years back various bodies K-5, K-r, K-x

Quite a lot I liked about them small but well built handling was nice too.
What hit me though when I started to use Pentax was how small the s/h AF lens market was it's tiny compared to the vast number of Minolta lenses I had been buying. Quite a lot of manual focus ones around. That was a factor for me (some lenses I could not replicated on K Mount) third party support was OK though not as good as the other 3. It's worth a look if you want the WR aspect or if you beef up the range with Tamron glass

Pages: [1]   Go Up