Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alpa Rodenstock Lens Differences  (Read 3919 times)

Pelorus

Alpa Rodenstock Lens Differences
« on: July 14, 2015, 07:12:57 am »

This may seem an odd question...but can someone enlighten me on the difference between the lens barrel ring colours? So a 90mm Alpa Rodie with a yellow, pink or blue ring...is there any difference and if so what?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Alpa Rodenstock Lens Differences
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 07:20:54 am »

Each color represents a different version of the 90mm from Rodenstock.  The yellow, Blue or Pink band are from Rodenstock not Alpa. 

Pink, 90mm HR
Blue, 90mm HR-W
Yellow 90mm HR-SW

The Yellow is the newest, and best and most expensive heaviest and with some cameras requires a extension plate for the medium format back.

All of them have a large image circle, I don't remember the sizes but all should be at least 120mm IC. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 10:53:42 am »

This is all right.  If you are thinking about getting the 90mm, let me say that I have the "blue" 90mm HR-W version and it is the sharpest lens I have ever used.  I have to shift the lens 25mm before I get any sharpness fall-off, and even then it is very minimal. 

I have a hard time believing that they actually made it sharper.  However I do have a Sinar branded version, which I have been told Sinar, being Rodies biggest client, gets to pick the creme de le creme. 

(Depth of field is shallow, but that has more to do with focal length, not lens quality). 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 12:46:49 pm »

Hi Joe,

Do you have anything longer than this?  If so, what?

Sorry, off topic a little.

Cheers

Andrew
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

Pelorus

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 04:51:10 pm »

Thanks Paul and Joe,

I find it very confusing...at the moment Alpa have only "Yellow Band" Rodies on their site. Rodenstock in their brochure however have a variety of different colours, but only one colour per lens...

I've heard great things about the sharpness of the 90 from whole range of people. However Alpa have a great document showing distortion and...the 90mm isn't great, particularly in the corners.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 05:03:53 pm »

Thanks Paul and Joe,

I find it very confusing...at the moment Alpa have only "Yellow Band" Rodies on their site. Rodenstock in their brochure however have a variety of different colours, but only one colour per lens...

I've heard great things about the sharpness of the 90 from whole range of people. However Alpa have a great document showing distortion and...the 90mm isn't great, particularly in the corners.

Alpa is only showing the yellow band as that is the only version in "new" production.  The blue banded only were on the market for a couple of years, maybe less.  The pink banded are more numerous. 

The retrofocus design of the digital Rodenstocks lends itself to mustache distortion.  The effect of which some feel can be fixed in the Alpa lens correction tool, I personally don't find that to be the case.  Mustache distortion will cause objects to become squatter and elongated.  So for example a car taken with a 40mm Rodenstock where the car is towards the edge of the frame will no look right, too short and long.  Where as same car in the center looks fine.  This issue will get worse as you shift.  Again at least from my experience in landscape work.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Pelorus

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 05:21:02 pm »

Thanks Paul,

It feels like there's no free lunch here. The Rodenstocks with retrofocus design seem to cope better with high MP backs whereas the more symmetrical Schneider optics don't cope so well with the high MP backs but they are much less distorting.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 05:39:10 pm »

Thanks Paul,

It feels like there's no free lunch here. The Rodenstocks with retrofocus design seem to cope better with high MP backs whereas the more symmetrical Schneider optics don't cope so well with the high MP backs but they are much less distorting.

Very well said!!   But one other lens to consider is the 90mm Schneider,  more than likely not going to be as sharp as a 90mm HR-w or 90mm HR-SW, but still a great lens.  Light much lighter than any of the Rodenstocks, no back extension needed and huge image circle that should give a similar distortion less view like the 60XL Schneider.  At least no mustache. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 06:41:39 pm »

Just to clarify, not all hr lenses have large image circles. The hr-s are only 70mm I think. Here is a good summary page:

http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/en/products/professional-lenses-digital

Dave

JoeKitchen

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 08:43:47 pm »

Hi Joe,

Do you have anything longer than this?  If so, what?

Sorry, off topic a little.

Cheers

Andrew

Hello Andrew,

I do not have anything longer then the 90mm, however I have been considering getting the Rodie 135mm.  I am getting more into hospitality work and they often want tighter shots.  I actually just priced out a project in Bermuda (not hospitality but office buildings) where they would like a shot of the building across the bay in the center of Hamilton.  I have done a similar shot like this across the Delaware in New Hope, PA with the 90mm and it was not long enough.  (I had to upscale and crop in.)  So if this shoot pans out, maybe I will get the 135mm.  

Going back to the 90mm, it is my favorite lens.  I try and use it whenever I can.  Also, the "blue" version does not require the back extending box on the Arca Swiss RM3Di (my camera body), whereas the new "yellow" version 90mm does.  This is primarily why I went with the blue version.  The 135mm requires the box, but I guess you need to give a little sometimes.   :-\
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 09:14:11 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent
Pages: [1]   Go Up