Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A very simple question - hopefully  (Read 34558 times)

drmike

• On Flickr:
A very simple question - hopefully
« on: July 14, 2015, 02:51:01 am »

I'm sure this is a truly simple question and I can think of solutions but equally I am sure there is a standard way to do deal with it that I am unaware of. So apologies for asking it!

When taking a series of head and shoulder shots of a group of people in quick succession where you will have to show them complete with names what's the best way to get image and name in synch?

No assistant just me and it's got be fairly fast turnover as these are busy people and I'm imposing. Shooting digital. I may take multiples of one person.

I'm not a professional but an amateur with a project that needs a solution for this.

Thank you.

Fred Salamon

Re: A very simple question - hopefully
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 03:06:54 am »

If you can, use a name plate in the bottom of the frame, then crop it out later.
Fold a sheet of 8.5x11 paper so that it will stand up on it's own. This assumes you are using some sort of posing table.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 03:10:41 am »

Thank you but not practical in this case, it had occurred to me to take two images one with a card with the name but it smacks a little of a police mug shot :)

Conner999

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 07:29:10 am »

Easiest way - take the two shots. One with everyone holding with their card loose and relaxed, one posed as desired.  Make it fun, use it to help people relax, get some smiles started. Let them play around with concept - as long as you can see name on card. I use approach on occasion and no one has an issue.

A ring booklet booklet of recipe cards works great.  Small, easy to pack and just flip to new card.  It also keeps the cards in order so worst case know that name 6 belongs to 6th person shot. Maybe do something in post with (some of) them afterwards for a chuckle if think audience open to it.  

Any other method I can think of risks getting names mixed up and that would be far more embarrassing. Face holding name is foolproof.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:33:35 am by Conner999 »

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 07:30:25 am »

OK sounds like that's the way to go then. I have to agree it is definitive.

Colorado David

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 07:34:15 am »

If they have company ID badges, shoot that first, then their portrait. Use a sign-in sheet so you have their names in order. If your camera shoot video, shoot a quick clip of each and ask them to say and spell their name. I've used all of these methods.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 07:36:56 am »

Video is a good idea. I could use one camera for the video at low res and one for stills. For my purpose that might work well.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 08:27:16 am »

I shoot large groups of headshots all the time. I have the organizer print the names individually on letter-size paper, in very large print. The subject holds up their name for the first photo, then puts it down and I shoot 2 or 3 images.

Yes, this feels like a police mug shot. It also works very well -- fast, and simple. I open the photos in Photo Mechanic and I can rename each group of photos with the subject's name just by reading the name plate in the first image (that's why I like it printed very large). There is no easier way to do it that I have found.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 08:30:32 am »

Thank you I can see how that would work but my plan (oh so cunning) involves waylaying random people :)

I feel the need for an assistant coming on although I remain taken with the idea of video.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 04:14:51 pm »

Thank you I can see how that would work but my plan (oh so cunning) involves waylaying random people :)

Unwitting victims, eh? :)

When we do really big events with a photo booth (random people), we have a large card where they can fill out their name, email address, other contact info, and sign a release -- they hold that up for the first shot. That way we can send them the photo, and also know who they are.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 04:58:22 pm »

Does your camera allow voice recordings when you shoot shots?

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 05:09:12 pm »

Not unwitting but invited as they pass by, that at least is the not terribly cunning plan.

And yes both my cameras will shoot video but I suspect not record sound without video.

If my phone was not so rubbish I could no doubt use that but it's battery would fade away under the burden.

I think the video on one camera and shoot on the other might work, I'll run some tests tomorrow.

Failing that I may try and pick up one of those mini dictation machines, in fact I know a solicitor who might lend me one for the day.

D Fuller

• AirStream Pictures
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 11:17:28 pm »

The advantage of shooting video of the "please say your name and spell it" with the same camera you are using to shoot the stills is that the ID is in the sequence with the stills, so it's both nearly impossible to screw up who is who, and really hard to lose.
business website: www.airstream.pictures
blog: thirtynineframes.com/blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up