Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lee filter hood  (Read 874 times)

alexluuphoto

Lee filter hood
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:40:09 pm »

Hey guys I normally use a 3 stop ND filter Hoya for my lens while using in studio. I notice some people use a lee filter hood with the nd pro glass 0.9 filter and the cost for all 3 of those is about 450 dollars. Is there anything different using this kit towards just a screw on filter?!? $40 vs $450 is pretty crazy' opinions please.

smahn

Re: Lee filter hood
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 12:25:48 am »

For studio work I prefer to put the ND on my lights. Easier to look through the lens and optically pure -- not to mention, inexpensive.

Conner999

Re: Lee filter hood
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 07:14:07 am »

The biggest advantage is how easy and quick it is to add/remove filters. One hand, split second, done. Makes effortless to test, change ND strengths, etc - especially if need to combine hood & an ND (no removing hood, un/screw(in) ND, re-install hood, etc.

Suckers are far too costly for what they are (hood included), but they work. You can also get the cheaper resin filters kits (basically high-quality ND film in a 4x4 frame) a la JoeyL ($60 for a 1, 2 and 3 stop drop in). They're not as robust as glass or thicker resin, but can't break and if they get scratched, you aren't out $$$$.

Edit: the kit mentioned. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/102426-REG/LEE_Filters_NDSET_Neutral_Density_Polyester_Filter.html
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 07:18:53 am by Conner999 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up