Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iS question & 5DSr - getting Image ghosting  (Read 2240 times)

Jamboree

Canon iS question & 5DSr - getting Image ghosting
« on: July 13, 2015, 03:03:41 pm »

Interesting action happened over the weekend.

I was doing some testing, here was my setup:

* 5DSr
* 1Dx
* 70-200 2.8 II iS

I mounted the lens to the tripod
iS turned ON
Long shutter time of up to 30 seconds
Remote shutter release used
NO shutter release delay used

- 1st mounted the 1Dx to the lens and took a shot -- all looked as expected
- 2nd I un-mounted the 1Dx and mounted the 5D with the same settings
-- The image displayed a ghosting of the image
-- I turned iS OFF and the image looked as expected

My question is as:
1) I've alway's left the iS turned ON even when on a tripod (I've alway's thought that if there was a stiff wind the iS would help - even though it's on a tripod), should I STOP doing that?  
2) Why would the 5D experience this and not the 1Dx?

On a side note -- I've been a 1D user for many generations (ever since I transitioned from the original D30, yes there was a D30 well before the 30D) of the body, going to a 5D is really weird - it's soo light and tiny and what's with the dial on the top.  NOT complaining, not at all - I've just gotten used to the 1D quirks and now I need to get used to the 5D quirks.

Thanks for you help
Jam
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 03:05:56 pm by Jamboree »

wigasper

Re: Canon iS question & 5DSr - getting Image ghosting
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 03:26:24 pm »

I don't really have any helpful answers other than Canon does not recommend having IS on (w/ 70-200 2.8) when the lens is mounted on a tripod.

capital

• Website
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 08:10:59 pm »

Zoom into 10x in live-view with the IS system enabled on the 5Ds tripod mounted, what do you see? I bet you'll see a slow swaying drift. This is normal, and why your image is blurry.

spidermike

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 07:27:55 am »

Yes, even with the supposed 'tripod detec't, in modern IS I still get better results with the IS turned off. My guess is you are looking at the images of the 1Dx and the 5DSR at 100% which means that the 5DSR image is much bigger and you are more able to see the 'ghosting'.

If using a tripod and I detect a wind, I will turn the IS on for the reasons you allude to but otherwise am happy to leave it turned off.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 08:33:23 am »

Hey, Jam,

Yes, turn the IS Off -- not sure why you're getting different results with the 1Dx, but I have not had good results with any camera with IS On while on a tripod.

I am still testing and trying to figure out my 5Ds. Using IS off tripod, shooting at shutter speeds that gave me sharp photos with a 5D3, I am getting serious motion blur. I think this camera will benefit from rock solid tripods and technique.

Hey, I started with a pair of D30s too, then switched to the 1D as soon as it came out, then 1D2 then 1D4. Got a 5D2 for personal use then a 5D3 for work, now a 5Ds for work. You'll get used to the 5D series quickly enough. I expected to hate the 5D2 based on hating the 40D, but actually liked that little camera. I still have the 1D4 bodies for sports, but can't imagine using them every day anymore.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/
Pages: [1]   Go Up