Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alsace/Vosges Autumn  (Read 4223 times)

dspeed

Alsace/Vosges Autumn
« on: July 13, 2015, 02:07:10 pm »

Good Morning from the Pacific Northwest!

I'm settling on a trip to Europe.  Having passed through a corner of this area before, I was prompted to return to the Alsace wine region and the Vosges.

My thought is to spend 2+ weeks, perhaps in 2 locations making day trips. 

The first question is *when* to plan this for.  Looking for color, reasonable weather and lack of tourist crush.  My internet searching has not been helpful to date.  Growing up in the forests of Pennsylvania, I understand that I'm not looking at a set date.  At present, I'm thinking of the last week in September and first in October, tho I might shift/move/expand.

No particular route yet.  Beaux villages, vineyards, fall colors. Wine?

I would also welcome suggestions as to accommodations if anyone has a favorite.  Thinking of a 2 bedroom gite, prefer charming. <grin> 

PMs welcome.

Dave

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
Re: Alsace/Vosges Autumn
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 06:13:28 pm »

Google "Champ du Feu" there are very nice locations around it - for "golden vineyards in the sunset" type images, this is way too early. I'd say third week of October would be the best bet, possibly even a bit later. I once went to an amateur astronomy meeting there on the 29th-30th of October 2005 and remember that, on many occasions, I cursed that I only had CCD cameras in the booth. Really nice views on the climb.

Here's a site where you can find pictures taken through the months

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portail:Haut-Rhin/Photographie-10

The images aren't that nice, but they show the color of the vegetation you can expect. First week of October will only give your tired greens I am afraid.

Kathy

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 01:27:40 pm »

Hi, we were there in 2009 from 3rd to 10th October, wine harvest. Some nice golden vines but just a bit to early for strong colour. We stayed in Kaysersberg on the Wine Route, only 15 minutes from Colmar and in the heart of the many picturesque villages. I used this website to book accommodation http://www.homeaway.co.uk/lettings/france/haut-rhin/r1155.

Dominique_R

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 04:44:32 am »

The year so far has been very sunny and dry, that may have an influence on harvest time. I'd call Tourist Office in Strasbourg (Alsace's "capital town") to inquire at prospective dates.

Regarding places to stay, I'd recommend Obernai and Kayserberg. Spring is the best season because of all the flowers, but Fall will have a nostalgic air to it that is always very charming as well. Do think about trekking up to a couple of the gorgeous ruined, red sandstone MediƦval castles overlooking the plain, they are worth it.

Aside from my beloved Brittany, Alsace is the region of France I like best, and it is a landscape photographer's dream.
Pages: [1]   Go Up