Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vacuum related Ripples Epson 9800-Platine Fibre Rag  (Read 658 times)

Barry Goyette

Vacuum related Ripples Epson 9800-Platine Fibre Rag
« on: July 12, 2015, 04:17:28 pm »

This is something I've seen before with this paper, and I always thought it was just "in" the paper as it is a very regular rippling of the prints, parallel to the direction of travel. But today I noticed that it's not in the paper (mostly appears in areas of high ink density, and not at all in unprinted areas) and that it perfectly aligns with the spacer "glides" on the vacuum strip of the 9800. I've tried turning the vacuum down to -4 (which seems to turn the vacuum off)..and lowering the ink saturation slightly....and it only improves things very slightly (at the risk of a scratch in the same direction as the ripples I've tried increasing the paper thickness setting and that removed the scratch. I've not seen this on other similar papers, but curious if anyone has seen it and solved it with Platine Fibre Rag (as I do love this paper very much).

Thanks

Barry

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Vacuum related Ripples Epson 9800-Platine Fibre Rag
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 04:55:28 pm »

Really the best solution is a good dry mount press with Bienfang rag mount. All of my 9880 printers did this some worse than others. The last one was finally replaced with a 9900 by Epson.

I had a open case with Epson for about 4 months and they never could really resolve it. Tried new fans new firmware for the fans, sanding the ridges you have found. Nothin worked. My problem was with canvas as the marks were really terrible.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
Re: Vacuum related Ripples Epson 9800-Platine Fibre Rag
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 04:25:30 am »

I cannot use Platine on my 9900 because of this problem. It occurs on all areas, printed or not. It is also on Canson Baryta and Museo Silver Rag but much less. It retreats with time but not enough . I tries  reduction of vacuum and increasing time between spray cycles but to no avail. This paper has a unique presence but I cannot use it. All suggestions welcome.
Pages: [1]   Go Up