Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi ISO performance on medium format sensors . Phase one iq3 60 and 80 specifical  (Read 26773 times)

Crazygrape

hi

I'm looking at getting into medium format but don't like the 1.3 crop factor of the iq3 50mp back.  For the 60mp and 80mp backs, what's the ISO performance at 1600 like? I see they support long exposure up to 60 mins with ISO up to 3200.

I'm into landscape and astrophotography

Steve

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

You will not like the output of the CCD 60 or 80MP backs at 1600 especially if you are working at night.  These backs will perform best in their base iso range plus maybe iso stops. By 1600, the amount of noise will be extreme in normal modes, (not sensor plus)

Both Phase One large backs, in the 60 and 80MP size offer sensor plus, which is pixel binning, 4:1, so your 60MP output is 15mp and 20MP from the 80MP.  Here you can use 1600, but I don't feel the output will be as good as any current 16 or 20MP camera on the market today.  Sensor plus is nice feature but I only use when extreme situations arise.

Inversely, the 50Mp backs, especially the Phase One IQ150/350 and Leaf Credo 50, can easily get to 1600, with no problems and go to 1 hour on a single exposure.  You can get around the dark frame exposure (which may not be necessary) by putting the back in aerial mode.  You mentioned that you don't want the 1:3 crop so your only real option for 1600 full frame is CCD and for the cost, I don't feel you will like the output. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

DucatiTerminator

Thanks for the explanation, Paul. How much less noise do the large backs have at ISO800? I've seen a few shots at 800, and they seemed respectable. Thanks in advance!

Alvin
La gallina vecchia fa buon brodo

Crazygrape

@paul2660 . thanks! thats really useful information.

i'm sort of half thinking that with iso800 and an f2.8 lens would be enough to get what i'd get out of iso1600 and a f2.8 lense on a FF camera (given the advantages of the larger sensor and the value of f2.8 on that over the smaller sensor.

what do you think?  i've shot auroras' with a nikon d810 and seen some of the photos produced by a hassy and the difference, i'm assuming because of the bit depth, is pretty noticeable, hence the obsession :)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto

Hi,

Generally seen CCDs have problems noise in the darks. Modern CMOS sensors like the one in the Nikon D810 have really low readout noise.

A larger sensor collects more light, though, but I don't think that would compensate for the high readout noise.

If you want MFD for shooting in the dark, the 50 MP CMOS sensors are the way to go.

Best regards
Erik

@paul2660 . thanks! thats really useful information.

i'm sort of half thinking that with iso800 and an f2.8 lens would be enough to get what i'd get out of iso1600 and a f2.8 lense on a FF camera (given the advantages of the larger sensor and the value of f2.8 on that over the smaller sensor.

what do you think?  i've shot auroras' with a nikon d810 and seen some of the photos produced by a hassy and the difference, i'm assuming because of the bit depth, is pretty noticeable, hence the obsession :)

Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up